Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Pupper Wild Camp. St Mary's, Bloody Bridge. Mourne mountains.  (Read 7008 times)

NIPupper

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster

Kingdom of Mourne pupper wild camp. Ruins of St Mary's Church, Bloody Bridge. 27 - 28 July 2018.

went looking for a blood moon, found rain.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Typical, nice all week and then it pisses when you want to get out :)

Where exactly is St Marys Church, that's one I've never heard of.

NIPupper

• Top Poster

it's super close to bloody bridge car park. head south along the coast path over the river then the same distance again before turning right (a signpost shows the way). only a few 100 meters from the car park but had no visitors at all.

54.170973 -5.874651

https://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/uas/UASfilestore/CoDown/Filetoupload,545604,en.pdf

has some cool information about it. they have repointed the stonework but they also added more stones, kind of takes away from the power of the old ruin a little, maybe better than falling down but still?

overall a cool place to spend some time. plus i got to test my setup in torrential rain, verdict, probably need a new tent.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Brilliant. I'll have to give it a visit.

Any excuse for a new tent  8)

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos

Great vid and information, never knew that place was there and it's really handy to get too for a visit. Shame about that 'bloody' rain!

NIPupper

• Top Poster

cheers, well worth a visit. the rain was crazy, glad i brought my bivy bag and tent. would of got soaked without the bivy.

Rugged Track

• Top Poster

cheers, well worth a visit. the rain was crazy, glad i brought my bivy bag and tent. would of got soaked without the bivy.

Did the tent leak? I just used Fabsil Gold and put it on with paint brush to reproof waterproofing 2 of my tents. What sort of bivy did you use? I take it was a breathable one and not a plastic type.  Did the waterproofing hold on the bivy ok?

NIPupper

• Top Poster

Did the tent leak? I just used Fabsil Gold and put it on with paint brush to reproof waterproofing 2 of my tents. What sort of bivy did you use? I take it was a breathable one and not a plastic type.  Did the waterproofing hold on the bivy ok?

Cheers for the info, imma going to try that! yes it leaked, right at the start the rain was super heavy for about 10mins, it was like it was raining inside the tent, i didn't have it well set up either which didn't help. i've got a hunka xl bivy, it's great didn't leak at all. the top of the tent where it was more taught was kind of ok so the two hounds and my head where all hanging up there. still had my coat on with the hood up thou! as one drip seemed to get me. when i got home and took the tent out of it's bag i was pouring water out.

Rugged Track

• Top Poster

Cheers for the info, imma going to try that! yes it leaked, right at the start the rain was super heavy for about 10mins, it was like it was raining inside the tent, i didn't have it well set up either which didn't help. i've got a hunka xl bivy, it's great didn't leak at all. the top of the tent where it was more taught was kind of ok so the two hounds and my head where all hanging up there. still had my coat on with the hood up thou! as one drip seemed to get me. when i got home and took the tent out of it's bag i was pouring water out.

The Alpkit saved the day!..bet your gad you packed it.  Cheers

NIPupper

• Top Poster

The Alpkit saved the day!..bet your gad you packed it.  Cheers

haha, to right, things would have been particularly bleak without the alpkit!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]