Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Camel baks Tastes of Plastic -Remedies  (Read 5258 times)

Windy

• Top Poster
Camel baks Tastes of Plastic -Remedies
« on: April 12, 2015 »

"I did find a way to get rid of the plastic taste. I added 2 tablespoons of baking soda to the bladder, filled it with hot water and let it sit for 2 hours, drain, rinse several times. No more plastic, just clean refreshing water!"

I found the above whilst trying to resolve the issue of a plastic taste in the camelbak. I have an original camelbak  over a year and a cheap Karrimor . The make excellent water carriers on wild camps  but I need to get rid of the taste....solutions guys.
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Camel baks Tastes of Plastic -Remedies
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015 »

I grab some denture tablets at my folks house and feel the bladder with water overnight,then just rinse it out the next day

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015 »

Bicarbonate of soda is probably the way to go. It's the done thing to get rid of that plastic taste you get from some brand new kettles.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015 »

Found these solutions on-line currently trying

Any hydration pack with a bladder requires cleaning and maintenance. Some people can detect a plastic taste with the bladder when it is new and want to get rid of that flavour. Others have bleached their hydration bladder and now want to get rid of the chlorine flavour. Here are some of the most suggested ways to clean and deodorize your hydration bladder.

1.  Camelbak Cleaning Kit
The Camelbak Cleaning Kit comes with a curved brush for cleaning inside the water bladder, and a small brush on a line for cleaning the sucker tube. It comes with a couple of cleaning tablets for deep cleaning the water bladder once a month. It also has a handy drying kit including a hanger to attach and a frame to prop the water bladder open to help it dry. While you could find similar household items to use, it is very handy to buy the kit and have the brushes and hanger.

2.  Bottle Bright
Manufacturer's Site
Bottle Bright tablets work well for cleaning hydration bladders, water bottles, travel mugs, and other water jugs. They don't contain any chlorine and they don't leave any odor behind. Instead, they fizz and clean to leave your water vessel odour-free and sanitized.

3.  Camelbak Cleaning Tablets
Camelbak cleaning tablets are similar to the denture cleansing tablets in their action. They contain chlorine dioxide, which is basically bleach. You use the tablet in a liter of water in the hydration bladder for just 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly and use. You may find that you want to follow this with a rinse of baking soda, lemon, or vinegar to help remove the chlorine taste.

4.  Baking Soda - Bicarbonate of Soda
Mix baking soda with water and allow it to soak in the bladder - anywhere from an hour to overnight. If you are getting ready to use it the next day, it's best to allow it to dry overnight. How much baking soda? I've seen recommendations from 2 tablespoons to half a cup, mixed with hot water to help it dissolve. After it soaks, rinse thoroughly with warm water.

5.  Baking Soda and Lemon or Lime Juice
This combination is also recommended, but be warned that it produces a foaming action. Mix a couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a couple of cups of water, put it into the hydration bladder. Now add a similar amount of lemon juice or lime juice and be prepared for the bubbling. Allow that to sit for 30 minutes to overnight and rinse thoroughly with warm water.

6.  Denture Cleaning Tablets
Here's the easy way - use denture cleaning tablets. Drop them into water in the pack and allow it to work for 15 minutes as they recommend for dentures. Rinse thoroughly. Some recommend not getting the ones with mint flavor unless you want your water to always taste minty fresh.
7.  Baking Soda and Vinegar
Fill the bladder, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and shake it, then add 1 tablespoon baking powder then shake it. Now drain and rinse thoroughly. This is reported to be good to remove the chlorine taste after bleaching the bladder.
8.  Bleach Solution

Add a capful or teaspoon of bleach to enough water to fill the reservoir. Allow to bleach for an hour to overnight. Rinse very thoroughly with 4 or more changes of water. I would recommend then following that with the baking soda and lemon juice or vinegar to help remove the bleach flavour. But this is the best way to kill fungus and bacteria, especially if you see visible growth.
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015 »

There is a 48 hour total solution you can use, I used to get the same problem with bladders of all types. Make sure you start on a Monday morning and the issue should be resolved no later than Wednesday lunchtime.  8)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]