Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Touring Panniers  (Read 11239 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Touring Panniers
« on: March 06, 2015 »

I got my Bike Insurance sorted last night so hopefully I will be back on the road on the 1st April (Yes, I know, April Fools Day  ::))

I also treated myself to a set of Panniers, in the hope that I will get a Bike Camp, or two, squeezed in this year.

I seem to have an ever increasing list of "To Do's" that I I just never seem to get around too, like canoe camping on Strangford and Sleeping in an Igloo/Snow Hole in the Mournes etc, but hopefully now that the bike is going back on the road and the panniers are bought I will actually get something ticked off the list.

I went for the Frank Thomas CAR003 Touring Panniers and when I get the bike all shiny and clean again, after a year or more of storage, I'll get them strapped on and post some photos. I'll also fill them full of stuff and take them for a spin when the insurance kicks in and see if I can get a review posted. 

I feel a week in Ireland or Scotland coming on!  :D

Manufacturer Photo, Product Description and Website Link below:

Product Description
The Cargo Endurance Touring Panniers feature unique height adjustable underseat mounting straps, flaps to protect bungee hooking points (to prevent scuffing) extensive external pockets, non-slip rubberised material on inside faces of panniers, stiff inserts to make panniers semi-rigid, loading straps to prevent burst and sagging with slide adjustment, outside edge zip for suitcase style packing, shoulder straps, quality reinforced carry handles, heat proof base for exhaust protection, waterproof cover and a capacity of 30 litres (each side) and 40 litres expanded.

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php/collection/cargo-luggage/car003-ft-touring-panniers.html

8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Touring Panniers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015 »

Finally got around to fitting my new panniers over the Easter Break.

Full review available yet because the bike is only up for MOT this Saturday and I had a ton of work to do to get her ready.  I've also a new chain lying in the boot of my car because the one that's on her has a load of seized links, with it lying for a year or so!

My first impressions are that the panniers are top notch and my only gripe so far is with the bungees that came with it.  There were two supplied to hold them in place under the rear wheel arch but they were wide enough to strap the panniers to either side of a Mini  :o

The bungees have now been sorted so once she's MOT'd I'll take her for a spin and if the panniers are still attached when I get back and stick up a review!

I'm hoping to meet up with a fellow NI Wild Biker in Moira over the weekend for a coffee and some Bike Camping chat if anybody wants to come along, MOT pass dependant.

8)
See the View

surfnscenic

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015 »

Looking good. I'm in Wicklow at moment  and there's miles of brilliant roads for biking on. The scenery is breathtaking. Anyway, once you get the certificate we'll organise a meet for coffee and camping chat.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015 »

Aye good luck I'm always up for a ride out

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015 »

Aye good luck I'm always up for a ride out

Good Stuff, pm me your number and I'll text you if we're meeting up in Moira this weekend.
See the View

surfnscenic

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015 »

I'm attending an open day at Phillip McCallen motorcycles off Moira Rd tomorrow, Saturday. It's from 09:30-late afternoon. I've a Bikesafe assessed run booked for 11:00, it takes about 1:5 hours apparently so if anyone is about maybe it'd be a chance for a coffee'n' chat.

Further details on their website

http://www.phillipmccallen.com
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015 »

I'm attending an open day at Phillip McCallen motorcycles off Moira Rd tomorrow, Saturday. It's from 09:30-late afternoon. I've a Bikesafe assessed run booked for 11:00, it takes about 1:5 hours apparently so if anyone is about maybe it'd be a chance for a coffee'n' chat.

Further details on their website

http://www.phillipmccallen.com

I'm up for Mot at 10am but I can't tax the bike till it passes. I've been having a bit of a Google and can't see how I'm going to get her taxed. It says online that the MOT needs to be valid from the date you tax your bike. As far as I know you can only tax from the 1st of the month and my Mot will be dated 11th therefore not valid from the 1st April.  Does that mean I can't tax my bike until the 1st May???

Will find out tomorrow, if I pass, and try and get her tax through their automated phoneline
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015 by Dowser »
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015 »

Got my bike through MOT but apparently the 'Pass' wont register on the system for 24hrs so I can't get the bike taxed  :'(

It's going to have to be next weekend that we meet up.
See the View

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]