Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: DIY elbow adze  (Read 15252 times)

b0ogaloo

• Top Poster
    • Kayak Angling Ireland
DIY elbow adze
« on: January 13, 2012 »

I've wanted an adze for quite a while now . only thing stopping me from purchasing one is the price . Sorry but I don't care if its made by the best blacksmith in the world .I'm not paying £140 odd quid for one

After doing a lot of searching online I came across a charity in Wales that imports fair trade tools from Africa. So I ordered a small Adze with the intention of modifying it . It duly arrived and it was modified
But  edge retention was terrible . according to the website they're made from leaf springs ,which is usually decent enough steel . but I just couldn't get it to hold an edge

Plan B : MYOG

So with a piece of 40 x 5  01 tool steel donated by Pablo , I ground a chisel grind on one side and then heated it in my DIY forge and formed it into a convex shape .. just like a hand gouge

I then drilled a 6mm hole near the top of the blade and hardened and tempered it

My on-line quest for adzes had produced quite a few results from the USA for Elbow adzes , which is just an adze blade lashed onto a branch
So this is what I did

theres also a large wood screw holding the blade  it in place , which you can just see the head of in the photo below

The thing about adzes is getting the angle of the blade in relation to the handle right, In fairness it was Pablo that finally sorted the correct angle out .

Pictured below is a  bowl I roughed out with it

This close up of a piece of sycamore shows how well it cuts

i found it very comfortable to use .. however Pablo reckoned a slightly shorter blade would be better . So we ground another blade which i made a handle for  tonight and will compare the two tomorrow at some stage

I also made a baby adze :D with a piece of 20 x 3  as the blade . which actually works very well for all the size of it

Andy

Banging Square Pegs into round holes since 1969

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: DIY elbow adze
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012 »

Very nice work. Looks like it cuts brilliantly.
Pablo is certainly the sharp cookie around here when it comes to making cutty things!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]