Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Ray Mears at the Ulster Hall: November 01, 2010
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Ray Mears in the Ulster Hall Nov 1  (Read 31660 times)

Paul72

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Re: Ray Mears in the Ulster Hall Nov 1
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010 »

Anybody know if there will be a chance to get one of his books there and get it signed?
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

Gregory

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010 »

Greetings--

I moved here with my wife and joined the forum this past summer.  As I'm going to see Ray this evening, it would be good to meet some of the fellow outdoor enthusiasts in the area; if it's not intruding, I wouldn't mind chatting over a pint before or after his presentation.  I reckon I'll be pretty easy to spot, as I can't imagine that there will be too many other Americans with long hair in the vicinity.

In any case, I hope to meet some of you this evening.

All the best!

Greg

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010 »

Welcome to the forums and Norn Iron Greg!  If I see you tonight I'll be sure to say hello!

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010 »

Right ok guys I will be in the crown at 1830 and be wearing a green t-shirt with Kahki combats trousers.

hope to see you all there.
No one goes inside to clear their head

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010 »

I moved here with my wife and joined the forum this past summer.  As I'm going to see Ray this evening, it would be good to meet some of the fellow outdoor enthusiasts in the area; if it's not intruding, I wouldn't mind chatting over a pint before or after his presentation.  I reckon I'll be pretty easy to spot, as I can't imagine that there will be too many other Americans with long hair in the vicinity.

Hi Gregory, welcome to the forum!  There are always plenty of day trips and overnighters being organised so keep an eye out, you're always more than welcome to come along.  Also, feel free to drop a wee post in the Introductions section to say hello and tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm still not entirely sure if I'm going tonight or not guys.  As in I still haven't bought my ticket :D  Will be a last minute decision if I do go, but if I can make it I will most likely meet you fellas in the Crown beforehand.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010 »

I really wanted to see Raymondo but alas, I can't seem to find a spare moment these days. I'll be looking forward to hearing what you all thought.

bill2rhino

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010 »

Let me start by saying that Ray Mears has always inspired me and through his programmes and documenteries  I have been challenged to try bushcrafting and to get outside into the great outdoors.
I was extremely disappointed by the presentation! Who cares about Brian Black getting frost bite and how does the story about Fin McCool compare with the story of the wolverine??? The fact that Ray had to interupt Brian during several of his pontifications just was not what I was expecting, I thought tonight focused too much and too heavily on the mystic and not enough on the practical.No wonder there was no format to be found about the event. :'(

darren

• Top Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010 »

well how did it go everyone.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2010 »

Sorry Bill, but I disagree. Brian Black has been to many of the wild places that Ray had been to himself and I found his questions to be insightful and enlightening. Ray was charming and friendly and all in all, I really enjoyed the show.

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2010 »

Sorry Bill, but I disagree. Brian Black has been to many of the wild places that Ray had been to himself and I found his questions to be insightful and enlightening. Ray was charming and friendly and all in all, I really enjoyed the show.

Same here, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening.  I wasn't sure how the format of interviewing interspersed with clips was going to work but I think it ran very smoothly. Brian Black at least has spent time working outdoors and can appreciate the subject so he was as good a person as any to be the interviewer and I found Ray's answers to be insightful and fascinating, especially when talking about aboriginal beliefs and practices.  The questions from the audience were also a great chance to hear Ray's thoughts and experiences, although I guess it was inevitable that somebody would ask the Bear Grylls question, however I think Ray handled it respectfully and well.  I could have listened to him for hours and I think he would have been willing to answer more questions too if there had been time.

I met him afterwards to get my book signed and he was a complete gent, taking time to chat and meet people.  He told me that he'd love to get over here more often and so we should keep an eye out for him when in the Mournes!

A big thumbs up from me!  ;D

All in all a great evening

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2010 »

I had mixed feelings initially.  Before the interval I was literally falling asleep... it all seemed stilted and obvious.  I blamed my expectations more than anything: Ray is so detailed and candid in his shows and books, perhaps there wasn't much new for this format?  Having always seen him outdoors, the indoor setting also felt strange.  Brian's repeating of more mystical feelings was a little annoying, but everyone's entitled to their own thoughts on such things.

However, the second half improved greatly, and the Q&A was very good.  Ray seemed very at home taking questions and as always, answered strongly with a mix of facts, experience and opinion, all from a respectful standpoint.  He really does move past pointless negativity very well.

All in, a little unusual, but finished strong and I'm glad I went.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010 »

I am to glad I went but I would of like more on the survival and pratical side of things.

The Q&A Section was good and so was the videos that were shown.

overall 8/10 for the night.

also enjoyed meeting Sawyer, 20clicks & Greg.
No one goes inside to clear their head

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010 »

I really enjoyed the evening and found the mystical talk very interesting and it made a lot of sense to me. Plus i felt like we got to know Ray a bit better.

Gregory

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010 »

I really enjoyed the program last night. While some of us might have liked more examples of his actually using various skills in specific primitive settings, I understand that he was presenting for a wide and varied audience. 

Regarding his addressing “the mystic”, I appreciated Ray’s response to Brian Black in correcting that the behaviour of a particular society that we might consider mystic is “not mystic at all; it’s down to earth – it’s what they do.” Given his demonstrated belief in not judging, listening and being respectful of any culture he’s visiting, Ray maintains a sense of integrity that’s lost in programs that put a pop-culture spin on like subjects for the sake of ratings. 

While he’s obviously a master of his craft and knowledgeable on a multitude of fronts, Ray shows great humility and decorum. Specific to that point, he didn’t take the bait when obliquely or directly asked about Bear or other outdoor presenters. While it doesn’t take much to pick up his basic opinion on the subject, he refrained from making negative comments or personal attacks. This is a mark of character and integrity.

I’ll cut it short in saying that Ray Mears is a great emissary not just for bushcraft, but for the natural environment and ecological education as well. It was also good to meet up with several guys from the forum last night—20clicks, Lenny and Sawyer. I look forward to meeting up again as well as meeting more of you.

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010 »

Right ok guys I will be in the crown at 1830 and be wearing a green t-shirt with Kahki combats trousers.

hope to see you all there.

Where you sitting towards the front of the gallery on the left hand side?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]