Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Loch Altan, Donegal - Wild camping at its finest.  (Read 28199 times)

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster

Hi all,

My son and I had an excellent easter trip to Lough Altan in Donegal. It was wild camping at its finest. An idyllic pitch, a campfire which burned all evening, a haunted mansion, and stars bright in the sky. And best of all, not a midge in sight!

We parked up at the Errigal carpark and walked half a mile up the road to meet the old bog road which heads over the hill to the Lough. And what a beautiful walk. Just long enough to keep the remote feeling but not too long a walk in for my young lad (walk out is a little tougher). We retunred to the Errigal car park the next day to climb Errigal. All in all, I think my son has got the wild camping bug.

Beginning the winding descent to Lough Altan

The Coleman Cobra3 all piched up and handling the gusty wind very well

Chocolate pud and custard on the Trangia

The old ruined folly.

Plenty of dry driftwood about to make a campfire.

Light painting inside the tent after sunset.

Beautiful clear skies for taking pictures of the stars from the warmth of my sleeping bag.

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
Re: Loch Altan, Donegal - Wild camping at its finest.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014 »

And a few more from the walk up Errigal on the 2nd day.

specimanYak

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014 »

What a scenic location and perfect spot to camp, it looks like you had it all to yourselves. Those photos are great and well worth the journey out there.  :)

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014 »

Brilliant Andy and what weather.  It seems like you couldn't do much better for watching the sun set.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad to hear your car was all right too.  It's a fairly isolated place to park.  You didn't end up covered in wee spikey plant things?  After I was there it took me about and hour to pick the things out of my socks alone.  Mind you I was in for a swim so I think I put my clothes right on top of one of the plants.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014 »

Thanks folks,

I drive an old car and I just leave it empty with the parcel shelf removed and the glove compartment open. That's my solution to theft stress  :D

Funny thing was that there was a rescue on Errigal on Saturday night and the carpark was crawling with police cars, an ambulance and some sort of mobile radio antenna. My car was in the photo that some of the newspapers used the next day. As far as I know, the rescue services didn't think that my abandoned car was suspicious. 

I know what you mean about the thorns. I was gathering dry grass tinder off the beach and got quite a few in my fingers. I think it might just have been old gorse needles. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014 by andymcinroy »

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014 »

Great looking trip there, been too long since I got out Dongal direction so i'll have to rectify that soon. One possible solution to the car issue can be to put a sign in your window. It's a double edged sword though, I tend to just put a sign saying "Walking in hills 07*****" leaving mine and my other half's number. I tend to do it incase there is some emergency I need to be back at the car for or to prevent anyone thinking it is suspicious etc. Of course anyone could see it as a freebie with no hurry.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014 »

Hi Andy, I've just looked at your trip report there and man that rings back some good memories, you really got a good spell of weather for it, I've heard of lots of folk that when then go up Errigal the mist kills alls the views, sadly this was the same for myself and WhoRya.
It looks like your getting some nice pieces of kit gathered up and I'm sure your son can't wait for his next trip, well done!

RB. 8)
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014 »

Looks like a great trip.  Some good photos for the competition too??
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014 »

Beautiful pictires Andy, Errigal is high on my bucket list.

Here's the rescue details

http://www.thejournal.ie/teenager-donegal-rescue-1427239-Apr2014/

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

t18con

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014 »

camped there ourselves last year. great spot. very secluded. coincidentally we too saw the mountain rescue on the sunday, don't know who/what they were rescuing though. we parked up where the wee road down starts (where all the locals dig their peat). car was grand too.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014 »

Looks like a brilliant trip, Donegal is a beautiful spot. We should definitely visit more being only 2 hours from Belfast.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015 »

Andy great blog. Taking the Wee man around the same dates as he is doing his DOE Bronze and needs to know the kit he is using. Can you tell me if the track from the road to Lough Altan is drive able  with a 4x 4 . My wife is nervous of leaving it in the car park . Even if it can be parked up the track out of site would be ideal.
Looking at walking back fro Altan to Eriigal the next day. Not arriving to Friday evening so time for walking the track would be appreciated.
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015 »

Hi Windy,

(Un)fortunately, the bog road is blocked by a locked gate. To be honest, on the Lough Altan side it gets very boggy anyway and probably is only suitable for a quad.

I had no problem with my own car in the Errigal carpark but I always make a point of opening up the glovebox, boot cover to make it clear that there is nothing in it. Another option is a taxi up from Dunlewy and the walk back to the car is all downhill.

The bog road probably only takes an hour to walk (slightly longer for the return back up the hill).

Hope that helps.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015 »

Andy thanks for the advice. We completed today. Took in Mackoght and Errigal. Great spot to wake up to .Youngsters have different speeds...lol
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

RDeckard

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015 »

Hi Andy

Just going through some old posts and came across this one. Was thinking of taking my daughters on this hike, do you think its doable as a day hike for a 6 year old from errigal car park to loch altan and back again.

Was thinking about a day hike and your photos swung it for me!

Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]