Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giants Causeway Coast Sportive - Saturday 15th September 2012  (Read 14081 times)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr

Just decided to set myself a challenge and enter a cyclingevent. I entered this event because it is a few months away (plenty of time) and because there are great options for your fitness level.

I have entered the shortest route of 36 miles and hope that this proves inspiration to stay active.

Route 1 (57km / 36 miles)
The Causeway Coaster, 57km route, is a perfect entry level route for those who are new to the sportive scene or who are keen to soak up the Causeway Coast’s spectacular scenery. Although still a considerable challenge with pre training definitely required, this circular route is mostly on flat terrain apart from a steady climb out of Ballintoy. With a feed station located just after half way in, your energy will be kept up to enjoy the stunning scenery back to Ballycastle.

I hope to try to raise money along the way for this for Marie Curie Cancer Care, so any donations would be greatly appreciated.

Would anyone like to form a NI Wild team? Or has anyone else already registered?

Hoping someone will join me.
Oisín

Sponsor me by clicking below :)

**Edit** Updated JustGiving Page
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012 by Oisín »
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks

Think MikeD is considering the middle distance. I'll be working or I'd definitely be there  ;D
Know a few guys did it last year, said it was amazing but brutal.

Good luck!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

Yeah, i've signed up for the middle distance, think the furthest Ive ever cycled has been about 25 miles, so I've a fair bit of training to do!

If you want to meet up for some training rides Oisin, give me shout, it'll help me stay on track !

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr

I've just emailed and asked if I could move up a group to the middle distance (128km) so if they say yes, which they should, we can team up.

Where are your stomping grounds? I'm around Randalstown/Antrim or possibly Larne.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks

Don't under-estimate the middle distance, it's not only over twice the miles, but harder miles too (ok, you can bypass the terrifying Torr Head section) but still more climbing. Road bike highly recommended, cycle shorts etc. Probably looking at 6hrs+ in the saddle.

Train, train, train, hills, hills, hills!  ;D
Craig
-----------------------

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

That makes me feel a bit sick lol.
Its a day out, there's rest stations and everything!!

And I live in Belfast, but have a car so we can meet somewhere convenient :-)

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer

I done the 128km last year on my MTB  :o
Torr Head climb was the best part of it for me, passing the roadies walking while me an my mate steamed up the Climbs  8) 

Here is my report and a few pics from last year for those interested!
http://acunamatadaar.blogspot.co.uk/2011_09_01_archive.html 

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

I suspect that'll be me spewing at the top of the hill this year!
Enjoyed your blog post.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks

Yeah, nice report. MTB not the best for the headwinds on the flat, but sure sounds handy on the steep stuff!
Great time  8)
Craig
-----------------------

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer

I wouldnt advise doing it on a MTB if you aren't a cyclist. I do a lot of cycling and was putting in big mountain miles before hand.

I wouldn't say the Mountain bike was handy on the climbs just I was well prepared for them. The gearing if used would make climbing easier yes but when your an ignorant sort of biker like me makin it harder for myself in bigger gears is the norm LOL

It's a great route and I would say even if you struggle do the torr head. There is any amount of flatter sportives out their if you want easy do one of them.

Eat and drink regularly even if you don't feel like it. It will help near the end. Keep the likes of gels and sugary stuff to closer to the end and stick to slow energy releasing foods early on. 

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr

I have a road bike so by the sounds of it I'll just have to put the head down and get in some long hard training.

I cycled 30 miles last night, fair enough it was relatively flat, but there was some hills I promise.  ;D

What slow releasing energy foods did you have?

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer

Sandwiches and the like. Normal food as supposed to high sugary energy gels. Have a variety as you may not feel like something you've prepared. I have seen me eating cold ravioli out of a tin on some endurance races.  You may not want to carry about tins of raviolli as they are heavy though. pancakes with nutella is another one I take and light.

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr

So MikeD. 10 days away.. are you prepared?

I know I've slacked a bit well a lot, but I'm not telling myself that because I've been busy with other things. The mental strength will have to compensate.

I need to get a back brake fixed and that should be me functional.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks

LOL - I think Mike forgot about this... he's away doing the Pyrennes Haute Route and not expected back until 15/16th  ;D

Craig
-----------------------

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr

Solo it is then! Haha

Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]