Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: magicshine mj816 bike light  (Read 9403 times)

beau

• Jr. Poster
magicshine mj816 bike light
« on: January 16, 2012 »

1st spin tonite with new light,got great reveiws from mbr mag.This light is a must buy for under £100 has to be seen to believed class :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: magicshine mj816 bike light
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012 »

I'd not heard of magicshine before (but i'm not a biker) so googled them and that torch looks impressive at 1400 lumens  (suppose it should be for that money) http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/products/Magicshine-bike-light-MJ-816LSET

as a comparison my headtorch, which is one of the brighter ones, puts out only 80 lumens !

had a look at their hand torches and liked the MJ-HD800  with puts aout a massive 3000 lumens  :o

now i've seen the led lenser x21 in action in the mournes and that was mighty bright at a mere  ::) 1000 lumens, and it costs nearly double the magicshine one
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_766115_langId_-1_categoryId_165497#dtab

so magicsshine certainley do look like good value for money, i wonder if they'll make a headtorch  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

beau

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012 »

lot of people wear mj808 as head torch 900 lumens cheapest around £60.magic shine sell head straps for it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012 by beau »

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012 »

i don't think 900 lumens would go down well at the campsite if i accidentaly shone it in someones face, maybe for lone nike hiking only  :)

beau

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012 »

ye not a  good idea to blind fellow campers :) but light has five setting low,mid,high,strobe and sos.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012 by beau »

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012 »

i was out on a night hike this evening and would you believe it one of the guys had a magicshine headtorch, and yes he blinded me with it  >:(  but i've just bought meself a led lenser h7 off ebay so hope to get him back next week  ;D  unless its a cheapo chinese ripoff  ???

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012 »

I've been running around Belvoir Forest without a headtorch the past few weeks. Even clouded over there seemed to be enough light. Ok there's the reflected city light pollution and at least a 1/2 moon above the clouds, and for the most part on trails... but it's got me thinking about using it less when hiking.

Still there will be those nights blacker than black, on dodgy ground etc, so something with a bit of wallop is always good to have. Beam pattern is important... I mainly use the Alpkit gamma on the little LED as it has a nice spread around your feet. The high power is mainly for spotting things farther away as it is so concentrated you can see nothing outside of the narrow beam.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Al Fresco

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012 »

On the subject of head torches, I found this review today for a new headtorch from Petzl with reactive lighting. Looks good but a bit pricey.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/01/19/new-petzl-headtorch-first-to-feature-reactive-lighting

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012 »

On the subject of head torches, I found this review today for a new headtorch from Petzl with reactive lighting. Looks good but a bit pricey.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2012/01/19/new-petzl-headtorch-first-to-feature-reactive-lighting

Pricy indeed, but looks awesome. One of these 'why didn't anyone think of this before' ideas.

Hmm, that would be a MYOG project and a half. I have 2 LIR18650 batteries sitting beside me here, just need a light sensor, 2 CREE LEDs, one diffuser, a programmable micro-controller, output regulation circuitry, and write a program for the thing... then house it in comfortable, weather resistant casing. I can sort of see where the price comes from  ;D
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Al Fresco

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012 »

Lol when you put it like that maybe its not so bad  ;D

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012 »

i don't like auto stuff like headlights and wipers on cars, i'd rather be in control so i don't think i would fancy that petzl headtorch, but my H7 has arrived, oh its good, very very good, and all for £29  :)

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012 »

http://www.magicshineni.com/

Guys if any of you are interested in a magicshine check this site out.  Adrian the guy who sells them is local and has stock.  I can vouch for his stuff and his service is great.  Even hand delivered a battery to me in town when I needed one for a friend.

There is cheaper Magicshine copies around but all Adrians stuff is official with warranty etc.

I have been using them for Biking, Adventure Racing and walking.  They are very bright as said above maybe woudnt want to be shining them in peoples faces.  But for the money you wont get a better light.

Here is a wee report I done comparing the old and newer magicshine models:
http://acunamatadaar.blogspot.com/2011/11/magicshine-old-mj-836-v-new-mj-872.html

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]