Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: an attempt at moon photograhy this evening  (Read 7835 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
an attempt at moon photograhy this evening
« on: November 13, 2011 »

With the moon near full and some variable clould i decided it might just be a good night to get some moon pics. Now i find moon pics quick tricky, need a long exposure but then that just makes the moon look like a torch shining at the camera  :(

So i checked the sat pics here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html and it looked promising, if there was some cloud cover it may be enough to filter the bright moon.

My plan was to head to to Meelbeg while still light, and wait for darkness and get a pic of the moon over Bearnagh, also a chance to practise some night navigation on the descent, although i would be using the gps for that  ;)

started off from happy valley car park at 4.30pm, lot of cloud ahead, not looking good, maybe it'll disappear by the time i get up

half way up, getting dark, a wee shot looking back down the hill

i get to the saddle and its blowing a gale, i couldn't stand on the stop step of the stile for fear of getting blown off, 46mph gusts recorded on the windymeter

i waited a while and played with some long exposure shots in the hope that the clouds would clear for a moon shot, i certainley wasn;t going any higher in that wind

i gave up waiting after about 20 mins and headed back down in the dark with thick fog, i was so glad i had the gps, would have been very tricky to look at a compass while walking, the gps gave me complete confidence in my location, i even decided to go down a different route rather than following my track up, i did forget my walking poles though, they would have saved me stepping in a few puddles

of course when i get down the cloud breaks a little  >:(

stopped in Bryansford village on the way back to tray a few shots, car came by and spoiled this one

2nd attempt

3rd attempt, moved the camera to avoid the street lights

then stopped in Dundrum for some pics at Keel Point road

same shot but adjusted the gamma correction on paint shop pro

pointed the camera away from the moon to just get the reflection

stopped again near the Dundrum Coastal path for a moon shot through the trees (in an attempt to filter it a bit)

same shot again but gamma correction adjusted on pc

I'll be in Newcastle again later tonight, might try and get some more pics

think outside, no box required

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: an attempt at moon photograhy this evening
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011 »

good write up mate,enjoyed reading that,love that toy for measuring wind,wonder would a fart show up,lol

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011 »

Sounds like a great night out, awesome photos too. Here's a few I took @ Meelmore. I need to work on my manual focus a bit!

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011 »

I’ve attempted these sort of photograpghs before, I encountered both these problems. The moon is too bright or my focus isnt on target at all. I tried both manual focus and auto, neither worked.

I remember reading that for moon pictures sometimes only 1/100sec is needed as it so bright, but then you don’t get any light from elsewhere in the picture. 
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011 »

Think the best photo I ever got of the moon was in February this year at Scrabo Tower.  It was around the same time the Northern Lights were being spotted across Northern Ireland and whilst I didn't get to see Aurora Borealis it was a very clear night.  Photo was taken using a Sigma 70-300 lens on my Canon 50D which was obviously mounted on a tripod.  Settings were 1/500th, F8, ISO 200.  Although the photo was  taken at 300mm I had to crop the image quite a bit to see any real detail.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011 »

Nice pic suspect, it looks like theres impact marks of meteors that have hit the surface?
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011 »

Indeed much better than any of my results.

The key must be in the lens.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

jonnycrutchley

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011 »

Were u guys camping just off the trassey track on fri night? My friend and I headed up towards to bottom of the hares gap but the wind was pulling the tent pegs out of the ground cos the wind was so strong!!  Waiting for Santa to bring me a gd camera then I will be out testing testing testing!! Great images by the way even the ones that u think aren't good!! Well done

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011 »

Some quality pictures there!

Can see this turning very competitve shortly lol  ;D
If in doubt, get the coffee out

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011 »

Nice pic suspect, it looks like theres impact marks of meteors that have hit the surface?

No apparently during the 2nd world war battleships were using the moon as target practice, oh hang on that may have been Lamagan....I'll get back to you on that one!
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011 »

what about the WW2 plane that crashed on the moon, i'm sure i saw a photo of it in one of the quality papers  ::)
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011 »

It was a B52 and if I remember correctly Elvis was flying it :P

what about the WW2 plane that crashed on the moon, i'm sure i saw a photo of it in one of the quality papers  ::)

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011 »

No apparently during the 2nd world war battleships were using the moon as target practice, oh hang on that may have been Lamagan....I'll get back to you on that one!

I think you may be trying to take the hand out of me on this one? And it took you 2 days to come up with that reply, poor ::)
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011 »

I think you may be trying to take the hand out of me on this one? And it took you 2 days to come up with that reply, poor ::)

Are you feeling delicate or something?  Not taking the hand.....for a change :-*
"Not all those who wander are lost."

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012 »

Some class photos there.  I found this old one I had.   Best I think I have managed with a big crop.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]