Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Cave hill.  (Read 6591 times)

boron

• Jr. Poster
  • Far have I travelled much have I seen.
Cave hill.
« on: October 22, 2016 »

Had a dander up cave hill on Friday it was a lovely still morning,no wind and strange wispy clouds.The Mournes could be seen covered in cloud and a vale of mist ran for miles up the Lagan valley. The water works dam was like a polished mirror and in Belfast lough not even a ripple.Magpies were starting to flock together for winter, and the Buzzards seem to have moved on leaving only a few squabbling crows high around the rocks.I found myself wandering off the routes and trying to re-live my childhood by finding the spots were we used to play and gather wild raspberries.Some areas I found and some were long overgrown.There were still plenty of late blackberries around and I had a good munch on some small sweet hazel nuts.Edible mushrooms were plentyful but I prefer to take them from areas were there are less dog walkers.As I headed back to the car I glanced at the time,I had been walking the woods and tracks for nearly 3 hours.Awh bliss.

johnnya

• Newbie Poster
Re: Cave hill.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016 »

Have always loved a wee dander up the cavey, up last weekend up the side of the quarry up to the mast then back down crossed the stream skirted cavehill past the lone tree over the stile back down the side of quarry and away great walk

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016 »

Cave Hill is a surprisingly nice walk being in such an urban setting. I remember a few years back being up on he top when there were very low clouds. All you could see beneath was complete white with just the H&W cranes poking up across the lough. It was absolutely fantastic.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016 by RedLeader »

Heggs

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016 »

:o wow!

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016 »

Epic photo RedLeader.
Bivvied on Cavehill with Ed last September and woke up to a cloud inversion over Belfast. Astounding!

marceemarc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016 »

Excellent shots guys. specimanYak, have often thought about camping up Cavehill but all the wee drinkers there anytime I've been up have put me off. Did you experience any problems? My first bivvy bag is on its way and would be nice to christen it there!
“We’ll take in a quick bite at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016 »

Cheers marceemarc, never had any problems at all with anything like that. It's too high up for any of them to climb up, let alone stay the night. You'll be more than safe, especially at this time of year. Funnily enough, my new bivvy arrived last week-end and I'm looking to get it christened as well.

Excellent shots guys. specimanYak, have often thought about camping up Cavehill but all the wee drinkers there anytime I've been up have put me off. Did you experience any problems? My first bivvy bag is on its way and would be nice to christen it there!

boron

• Jr. Poster
  • Far have I travelled much have I seen.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016 »

Great pics n vid Red n Yak, not so nice up there to-day.I set off from Hightown car park this morning it was 5 degrees with a cold biting wind. By the time I got halfway down through the quarry it was lashing rain and time for the gore-tex, and guess what  Marceemarc ? At the bottom end of the quarry as I headed up towards the forest I came across the remains of a wild drinkers camp.There was a flattened pop up tent with poles some clothing and empty 3 litre cider bottles, but don't let this put you off for a camp or bivi.There are some excellent areas for that all over the hill.As I walked through the forest it was sheltered from the wind and the rain had stopped at this point it was a toss up for gore- tex on or off.Wow was I glad I kept it on as I approached the Devils punch bowl the rain had turned to sleet driven by a strong very cold wind. Onwards and upwards as I got to the top at McArts fort and all the way down the other side I walked through driving snow,hopefully the first of many for the rest of the winter.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]