Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Knife Laws and whatnot  (Read 33707 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Knife Laws and whatnot
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010 »

It would appear the the law for knives is the same for Northern Ireland as it is for the UK. When I pay more attention, what I was actually thinking of was as far as I am aware the ability to stop and search etc is different for Northern Ireland.

Knives and the law

Knife crime, particularly amongst young people, is in the news almost every day. At the moment, a number of different rules apply to knives and it isn't always immediately clear what is legal and what isn't.
What's legal and what's not?

* it is illegal for any shop to sell a knife of any kind (which includes cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under the age of 18
    * it is generally an offence to carry a knife in public without good reason or lawful authority, for example, a chef carrying their own knives to and from work
    * the maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is four years in prison and a fine of £5000
    * knives such as a Swiss Army Knife (where the blade folds into the handle), aren't illegal as long as the blade is shorter than three inches (7.62 cm)

Offensive weapons

If a knife is used in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife), it is regarded as an 'offensive weapon' by the law. This is also the case with everyday objects like screwdrivers - once used in a threatening manner, they are treated as offensive weapons.

It is an offence to carry an offensive weapon in a public place if you don't have a valid reason. This means that carrying something that could be viewed as an offensive weapon, and then using it in a threatening way, could mean that you are prosecuted.

The penalty is up to four years' imprisonment and/or a fine. There is a complete ban on the sale of certain types of knives categorised as offensive weapons, regardless of their use.

These include:

* flick knives - where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed - these are also called switchblades or automatic knives
    * butterfly knives - where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings or the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
    * disguised knives - where the blade is hidden inside something, like a belt buckle or fake mobile phone.

Police 'stop and search' powers

Police officers have the right to stop and search any person or vehicle if they suspect an offence. This includes carrying an offensive weapon.

Weapons regarded as offensive include, but are not limited to:

* flick knives
    * gravity knives
    * knuckle-dusters
    * sword-sticks
    * samurai swords
    * hand-claws
    * foot-claws
    * belt buckle knives
    * push daggers
    * butterfly knives
    * blowpipes or guns
    * kubotan (cylindrical container holding spikes)
    * shuriken (also known as death stars or throwing stars)
    * telescopic truncheons (automatically extending)
    * kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    * kyoketsu shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    * kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
    * disguised knives (lipstick knives for example)
    * stealth knives
    * straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/crime-justice-and-the-law/crime-prevention-1/knives-and-the-law.htm

Knife law in the UK covers N.I, England, Wales and Scotland with no differences from what I can see.  There is no point in posting 'rumours' about different laws in N.I when most people already find it confusing. ???

Timbo

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010 »

Stop and search powers are UK wide.  You can be stop and searched in London the same as Belfast.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010 »

I may be way off the mark here but aren't all laws in NI different.  Whereas England & Wales have Acts of Parliament we have NI Orders.  The Scots have another different system as well.

After reading the details on the following link, I've probably over-simplified it above:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland_law
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Timbo

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010 »

I thought this thread was about knife carry laws, and how an earlier post (Blackthorn) mentioned the law on knife carry was different here to England, its not, as for the rest of the law I don't know.  I think thats a topic for another forum.

Greyfox

• Top Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010 »

This topic has been discussed to death on so many forums, its easy, if you have to carry a knife put it into your pack dont walk about with it on your belt. If you get searched there will be a reason why explain why you have the knife in your pack, ie camping fishing or whatever. If you must carry a penknife get one which is very small and dosent have a locking blade and keep it in your pocket and dont wave it about in public. I think common sense has to prevail sometime. Expect that if you like to do your shopping with your mora strapped to your belt the police and public will become suspicious and you might end up being arrested (probably right as you have been an arse) and it might take a while to talk yourself out of it. It seems that in england (judging by what other forums have on them) that there are some right numptys who have it in there head that they can do what they want when they want and then they complain when some one calls the police because they are walking about with a bloody foot long knife strapped to their leg or are showing off their latest knife in their local over a few pints! (this isnt a dig at the english just using it as an example). Its discussions like this that prompt so much uncertainty and confusion, if you want to know the real ins and outs go down to your local cop shop and speak to them they will im sure be able to answer your questions and if they cant im sure they will point you in the direction of where you can get the answer. ;D
Northern Ireland Survival School
"Teaching yesterday skills today"
www.nisurvival.co.uk
nisurvivalschool@gmail.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]