Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Knife Laws and whatnot  (Read 33725 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Knife Laws and whatnot
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010 »

No knives should be carried to football grounds
Hatchets and hammers, stanley knives and spanners is the best way to show them how to fight (how to fight).

My brother was in Nepal years ago and brought me home a Gurkha knife.  It's an impressive piece of kit.  If you see anyone doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPD9LxbgLxU in Donard forest come and say hello.  If you see anyone doing it in Shaftesbury Square....run!
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Simon Barry

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010 »

There are regulations regarding blade size etc (even here in England) - but, in general, carrying any blade without good reason may well cause you some issues.

Case in point.  The Transport (Railway) police often run operations here, using mobile metal detector arches at exits from railway platforms (sometimes in conjunction with ticket checking).  They are looking for blades of all kinds - and if you have one, be prepared to explain yourself.  My daughter is an art student in London and regularly carries craft knives/scalpels and scissors (big ones...not nail clippers)  She has to also carry her university ID otherwise she will have the blades confiscated (at best), may be arrested and could be charged for carrying an offensive weapon.

The police and the university have agreed - between them - that as long as the student can show university ID and appears to be en route to or from the university, its not an issue.  Otherwise etc etc etc. 

The  times she has been stopped, the peelers have been fine - the blades have been in a protective cover, in the bottom of her bag, covered by a load of other stuff (think 21 year old female student), she has had her ID and been able to explain where she has been/is going to.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010 »

we have to remember there are very good reasons for these laws and i for one am glad to hear people are getting checked for blades as i have kids going out on the town at night and i don't want them near any knifes, sure there will be some inconvenience for the genuine users but if i have to get my knife confinscated for a few days or have to explain myself down at the police station then so be it.

Funnily enough though i've never brought anything worse than a cutlery knife camping, its a damn sharp cutlery knife though  ;D
think outside, no box required

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010 »

I think if it is readily to hand or concealed unusually (like in your sock), and you have no valid reason then that's one thing... but if it's in your bag then it's really not going to be used in the heat of the moment.

I agree that the police appear to use their best judgement on this matter, and it's only the scallies that lose their shivs.

As an aside though, the airline restrictions are a bit silly.  Check for bombs, yes; but a penknife or nail clippers are easily disarmed with a rolled up in-flight magazine.  Quite annoying for those who travel only with hand-luggage.  Do they check if people are a kung-fu bad-ass before they board a plane?    ???
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010 »

but a penknife or nail clippers are easily disarmed with a rolled up in-flight magazine.

Too bad if you're flying Ryan Air ;D

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010 »

i remember the airport security trying to confincate my mini nail clippers, when i asked what danger they posed they said it was the wee pull out nail file bit as it was pointy, so i broke it off and gave it to them and they let me bring my nail clippers on board  ;D

think outside, no box required

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010 »

I received my new Mora yesterday, it came with a copy of current regulations on knife laws, very responsible of Woodlore and good practice.
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010 »

a friend of mine almost got his dad's old police whistle confiscated at airport security because it could potentially be used as a weapon or to cause disruption in-flight. 

he refused to hand it over because it has sentimental value, so they weren't going to let him fly.
When the supervisor was called over they were going to side with the security monkey until my friend pointed out that with every passenger knowing full well that there's a light and a whistle attached to every lifejacket under every seat, one more wouldn't make much difference. ::)

Anyhoo,
on the 11th September they didn't use big rambo knives, they were cheap craft knives with stanley-sized blades, so I think it's fair enough to have strict security.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010 »

Anyhoo,
on the 11th September they didn't use big rambo knives, they were cheap craft knives with stanley-sized blades, so I think it's fair enough to have strict security.

I'm up for being the have-a-go hero against the terrorist who tries to take over my plane armed with tweezers and a set of nail-clippers.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Blackthorn

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010 »

Just remember the paperwork that have come with your knife are english law, the law in NI and the law in england differ greatly mate.

Timbo

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010 »

You are saying the knife law in N.I is different to England? I thought it was the same UK wide, do you have a reference to the N.I specific law?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010 »

NI has alot of specific laws both because of our somewhat violent history and devolution.

You are saying the knife law in N.I is different to England? I thought it was the same UK wide, do you have a reference to the N.I specific law?

Timbo

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010 »

In what way is it different?  If posts just say its different its not very useful information, just wondering were you guys saw the N.I law?

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010 »

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/crime-justice-and-the-law/crime-prevention/knives-and-the-law.htm

It is essentially the same, although the penalties may differ where transgression does occur (like in Scotland).

Google is our friend, but those suggesting a difference should have posted links - it keeps the thread useful (especially where safety or legality is concerned) and will help the forum show up in search engines.  I forget too.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Timbo

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010 »

Knife law in the UK covers N.I, England, Wales and Scotland with no differences from what I can see.  There is no point in posting 'rumours' about different laws in N.I when most people already find it confusing. ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]