Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Glenshane Pass bus stops  (Read 7069 times)

DrMonkFish

• Newbie Poster
Glenshane Pass bus stops
« on: July 02, 2014 »

Hi All,

Does anyone know of any bus stops on the Glenshane Pass near the entrance to the Forest Park? Or can you simply get drop off and, as importantly, hail a bus to stop on these stretches of road?

Thanks.

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Glenshane Pass bus stops
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014 »

I'm almost certain there are no stops on the pass itself. The nearest stops would be near the filling station on the east side and just outside Dungiven on the west side. As for buses on the pass, I think only the goldline service crosses the Glenshane, all local services tend to run one side or the other. The goldline drivers aren't well known for stopping for folks if it is not a designated stop. You might get lucky and wave one down if it looks like your having a heart attack or something but don't rely on it.

Depending on which way your coming from you could be best getting a bus to the nearest east/west stop then walking/hitching to the top.

andymcinroy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014 »

I'm pretty sure that there is a large lay by / bus stop on the Dungiven side if you are coming from Derry. It is very close to the entrance. I'm sure that a driver would do a drop off if coming from Derry. However if you need a pick up,  I doubt a driver would stop.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014 »

I've been over the Glenshane Pass a few times this year and noticed some lovely forests / wild land. Is it god up there for walking / camping?

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014 »

I've been over the Glenshane Pass a few times this year and noticed some lovely forests / wild land. Is it god up there for walking / camping?

There is a large lay by right next to the Glenshane forest, for access. Plenty of camping spots to be found in there. Walking can be tricky once off the tracks of the forest park, as per almost all of the Sperrins there is little to no allowance for walkers and farmers like the "geerooff my land" approach with regards to styles etc. You will simply not find any and have to pick your way around fields and fences until hill bound. However the forest park does open up onto the base of Mullaghmore and from there you have pretty good access to the Sperrins westward.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]