Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: up Donard in an hour?  (Read 47884 times)

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
Re: up Donard in an hour?
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2012 »

Well done good work.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2012 »

There were 4 of us attempted this on Sunday morning at 9.am - we timed as follows

Jon 54.30   (13.15, 29.19, 39.20, 54.30)
Ste 58.20   (13.35, 30.42, 42.17, 58.20) **Me
Mar 1.02
Dav 1.07

Dont know the other 2 lads split times.

In summary - the biggest gain over my last times was part jogging / fast marching the first section up to the 3rd bridge i gained a minute and a half on this section vs my target of 15 mins - the second section i was 17.12 section time which was about right against my target of 17 this was part walked / part jogged. I was a little slower on the staircase than hoped. The main thing which got me under the hour was sheer bloody-mindedness on the last section, I was close to vomiting a few times and was pulling myself up with my arms using the wall on one or two parts but pleased to put this to bed at my 5th attempt. I was right on the limit of stamina and willpower and hence I am in no rush to do this again anytime soon!

well done on breaking the hour lads, i've just spent the last 2 day travelling and sitting a lot through elf & safety courses so my legs haven't had much chance to stretch so are feeling a little sore now, still pondering another attempt this weekend though, NO,  no more, i gotta move on to a different mountain now  ;D
think outside, no box required

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2012 »

There were 4 of us attempted this on Sunday morning at 9.am - we timed as follows

Jon 54.30   (13.15, 29.19, 39.20, 54.30)
Ste 58.20   (13.35, 30.42, 42.17, 58.20) **Me
Mar 1.02
Dav 1.07

Dont know the other 2 lads split times.

In summary - the biggest gain over my last times was part jogging / fast marching the first section up to the 3rd bridge i gained a minute and a half on this section vs my target of 15 mins - the second section i was 17.12 section time which was about right against my target of 17 this was part walked / part jogged. I was a little slower on the staircase than hoped. The main thing which got me under the hour was sheer bloody-mindedness on the last section, I was close to vomiting a few times and was pulling myself up with my arms using the wall on one or two parts but pleased to put this to bed at my 5th attempt. I was right on the limit of stamina and willpower and hence I am in no rush to do this again anytime soon!

Well done,that's some going,are you hurting :-[

SteLad

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2012 »

Thanks for the comments
Monday was tough, still some soreness yesterday, but am feeling good as new today. My last 2 efforts I was sorer but then again we ran back down afterwards, this time we decided to 'leave it all on the ascent' to try and get under 1 hour and come back down at a leisurely pace, certainly feel the better for it.

Funny how quickly you can go from "im in no hurry to try it again" to lets go back down and try the black stairs and see what sort of time we can register going up that route !

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2012 »

good point about the black stairs, and the weather is looking good this weekend   ::)

SteLad

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2012 »

im away this weekend, but might have a go at the black stairs on the weekend of 3rd / 4th

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2012 »

i think i'll give it a miss too this weekend, i want to do a walk that i'll actually enjoy for a change  :)

alanrsv

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2014 »

Done the donard run this morning and knocked 5 minutes off my personal best, which now sits at 52.02, we used the black stairs

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2014 »

Wow, did you use the bike  ;D excellent time, I tried walking the black stairs route last month, took me 2hr20, went the saddle route a week later in 1hr20, just seems more of a struggle up the black stairs even though its shorter. Are you having a go at the Hill & Dale series?

alanrsv

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2014 »

No hill and dale yet Liam I'm training for a trip to Everest base camp in September , also done a few climbs on the Womble wall on Ben crom yesterday it's a good crag
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]