Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Off on my first bivvy...any advice?  (Read 5832 times)

marceemarc

• Newbie Poster
Off on my first bivvy...any advice?
« on: June 16, 2017 »

Hi all,

Finally, after a (long) while recovering from injury, I'm planning my first ever bivvy on Tuesday night next week for the solstice sunrise. I'm hoping to go up Bernagh after work for this for this, but am flexible based on the weather. Does anyone have any words of wisdom from previous experiences that I should be aware of before I depart? Going solo too, so no backup from a bivvy buddy!
Thanks,
“We’ll take in a quick bite at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Off on my first bivvy...any advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017 »

Bring a camera with a long exposure and a tripod for some great night shots to pass the time. There's a shelter stone near the north torr if the weather does turn a bit.
think outside, no box required

Heggs

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017 »

Hope you have fun! I did the same last year (video below).
You'll notice the wind more in the bivvy, it feels like someone giving you a push in the back all night so use the wall to your advantage and get a good sheltered spot. If you can, download some movies onto your phone as it helps pass the time if you can't sleep due to the exposure. I've found a waterproof backpack is handy to keep gear on the outside and free up space in the bivvy. Use a synthetic sleeping bag too in case of leakage/excess condensation. You don't want to get a down bag wet if you can help it.
Take loads of pictures, enjoy yourself and don't forget to post them here!

marceemarc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017 »

Thanks for the advice, guys. Heggs, have actually watched your video before. It's a great watch. Will post a few pictures here indeed. Would be great if it was as nice as today. In Castlewellan today - mountains are calling...
“We’ll take in a quick bite at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017 »

As long as you have a good bivvy bag and have clothing for all weathers it should be grand. I found comfy bivvying was more about finding a gearset I really liked and I never really had a bad night when I was choosing which bits I liked best. At the end of the day you're really just sleeping in a big waterproof bag so assuming it works as expected things should be fine.

My main consideration was wanting a tarp above me and getting it pitched when there are no trees about can be a pain if it's windy but that's mostly just experience. The one thing I tend to forget in the dark is to bring in all my gear so it doesn't get wet. The number of times I've accidentally left by boots where the rain can get to them is embarrassing. Putting your feet into a boot full of water first thing in the morning is pretty unpleasant  :o
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017 by RedLeader »

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]