Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mournes Walk this Saturday  (Read 8485 times)

basictonal

• Newbie Poster
Mournes Walk this Saturday
« on: January 15, 2014 »

Hi all!

New to the forum so hello to everyrone :)

Me and a mate are planning a mournes walk this saturday. i checked this website (http://www.myweather2.com/Hill-and-Mountain/United-Kingdom/Mourne-Mountains.aspx?sday=3) and it gives a temp of 2/3 deg at high level which i think is ok?? - it gives a sun with some cloud so i dont think it will be raining.

We are contemplating doing the devils coach road walk from carrick little car park (http://www.walkni.com/walks/579/central-mournes/)

From looking at peoples reports it could be quite a strenuous walk for someone who isnt totally fit (i don train but i can walk at a fast pace for long distances with no problem at all) - but if the weather is decent this weekend will it be a safe enough walk to do, esp up at devils coach road?

Just looking for some general advice on how to approach the walk as we arent 'professional' trekkers or anything, i think its about 10 miles so it will defo take it out of us i reckon.

Also, is there a shorter route to the devils coach road or is this walk the only way?

thanks!
david
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014 by basictonal »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Mournes Walk this Saturday
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014 »

Welcome David!

This is a difficult enough walk. Lamagan is a steep enough mountain (the name apparently means "hands and feet") and getting from the Brandy Pad back into Annalong Valley can be tricky as there's not always a defined path, plus at this time of year the Annalong River has lots of rivers that run into it and they can be difficult to cross. If you're not used to hiking or orienteering by map it's one I'd definitely be doing on a nice clear day.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014 »

The forecast I read says "Turning colder on Saturday with a few wintry showers." so be prepared for anything up there (Bothy Bag would be useful). I've no idea how capable you are but the Devils Coachroad isn't for the faint hearted, I've done it once and was glad I had people in my group who had done it many times before so get the right line (start on the right and eventually move to the left when ascending). The quickest way would be to come up the Glen River path from Newcastle to the saddle then contour round to the base of the coachroad, less daunting that way, when looking up at it from the Annalong Valley it is very offputting! Helmets also recommended, if you don't have any bicycle helmets are better than nothing and are light to carry.

However if you are doing the route on that link you don't actually go up the coachroad. If you want to cut it shorter just follow the river up  between Beg & Cove.

some more info here
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/meets-places-trips-and-reviews/devils-coachroad-28feb10/15/
think outside, no box required

basictonal

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014 »

hmmm ok well maybe this route isnt the one for this weekend, what about one of these instead? shorter and perhaps a bit easier?

http://www.walkni.com/walks/576/meelmore-and-meelbeg/
http://www.walkni.com/walks/345/bearnagh-and-meelmore/

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014 »

Yes they both look good, the Meelmore/Meelbeg/Slieveloughshannagh one would be less strenuous, I prefer to do a few "liitle" mountains rather than one biggun.  Bernagh can be quite a hike up if you're not used to the steep stuff, and the west side is very steep  ;)

and if you find you are ahead of time, you can always throw Doan or Carn in too  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014 by LandyLiam »
think outside, no box required

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014 »

Meelmore and meelbeg is a simple enough walk and would give you a better taste of what the mountains are like without being dangerous. I did meelbeg meelmore and bernagh here http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/meets-places-trips-and-reviews/the-other-3/  but it is easy to cut bernagh out of that.

basictonal

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014 »

ok thanks for the tips folks , i think meelmore/beg is the one to go for this time

basictonal

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014 »

the weather doesnt look great for the mournes on sat so i think we arent gona do it this weekend, save it for better weather.

any other walks/trek you could reccommend in NI?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014 »

This weekend does seem like it might be a bit of a baptism of fire :)

the weather doesnt look great for the mournes on sat so i think we arent gona do it this weekend, save it for better weather.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014 »

This weekend does seem like it might be a bit of a baptism of fire :)

Sounds like a weekend to chuck a dart at a map and bivvy where it lands  8)

Hi David, welcome to NI Wild.

Hope the weather is kind and you get out somewhere this weekend.  Some of the suggested walks do give good options to lengthen or shorten your walk as conditions and desire dictate.  The Mournes 1:25000 map gives great detail to help you plan and amend your route on the day.

Enjoy!
"Not all those who wander are lost."

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014 »

Well basictonal did you venture out in the end?
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]