Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Bike Build  (Read 13636 times)

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Bike Build
« on: March 13, 2010 »

I,ve managed to get my self a mountain bike frame from e bay. The plan is to strip down my old Claude Butler and salvage any parts i can for the new bike. The point of this thread is i'm hoping some of you good people will be able to give me advice when i run into difficulties. ??? ??? ???
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

chris

• Hero Poster
Re: Bike Build
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010 »

I dont claim to be an expert but I did spend almost three months building bikes. If you get stuck anywhere I can try and shed some light. Or If you wanted I could come and give you a hand stripping it. You should in theroy be able to transfer it all asuming the frame is the same size.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010 »

The frame is same size mate but i would like to fit disc brake s and front susp.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010 »

is the frame set for discs? should be no probs like.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010 »

Not sure mate. I thought all bikes could be modified for the disc. ???

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010 »

I used to do a fair bit of mountain biking, although to be fair my poor bike has been locked up in the shed and hasn't seen light of day in more months than it deserves!  Will do my best to help out though if you need any advice or help wielding a spanner :)

Regarding the disc brakes - you need front forks with a post mount/IS mount onto which the brake caliper is bolted.  You also need a wheelset that has hubs which are "disc ready".  You will usually see a series of thread holes in the hub onto which the brake disc is bolted.

Depending on what you are doing though there is no shame in a good set of rim brakes like v-brakes etc.  Kat mountain bikes with me and the v-brakes on her bike are a lot better than my budget hydraulic disc setup.  Keep meaning to replace my brakes but they arent exactly cheap :(

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010 »

I want to put front suspension on it. Is there one that would suit disc brakes and v breaks, if i wanted to add the disc s on at a later date?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010 »

Assuming you are using a hardtail frame and intending to use it for cross country style riding then I would consider looking at 80-100mm or maybe even 120mm suspension forks for your bike.  If you want to use v-brakes now but may upgrade to discs later then you are looking for a set of forks that have both brake bosses and disc post mount; these are fairly common.  As with anything it all comes down to how much you want to spend - cheap forks are heavy and can do more harm than good, expensive forks are light and have a nice plush action.  At the bottom of the scale are the likes of Suntour forks, followed by the lower end Rock Shox and Marzocchi's.  At the top end of the market are Fox Forx but they tend to cost as much as many mid range hardtail complete bikes :) 

Take a look at these Rock Shox Dart forks, the photo only shows the post mount for disc brakes but I think the ones on sale also have the bosses for mounting v-brakes.  You might also get a good deal on the likes of Rock Shox Darts or Toras on eBay as a lot of people get these as OEM forks, upgrade them and flog them on cheap.  Or there is an excellent MTB shop in Carryduff who sell new stuff, but also sell some used parts as well - www.realcycles.com.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010 »

I want to put front suspension on it. Is there one that would suit disc brakes and v breaks, if i wanted to add the disc s on at a later date?

Yeah as the guys have said you'd need to get forks set for both. The V brakes will secure to the top of the forks whereas the disc brake pads will secure on one of the forks about half way down, usually on the left side. You should look to get wheels that you can fit discs on aswell save you having to buy a new set when you decide to upgrade. Is there any particular reason why you want discs?

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010 »

Do the disc s not have better stopping power?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010 »

Do the disc s not have better stopping power?

Pretty much, rim brakes are simple tho, easy to fit and to fix.

SAMD

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010 »

Take a look at these Rock Shox Dart forks, the photo only shows the post mount for disc brakes but I think the ones on sale also have the bosses for mounting v-brakes.  You might also get a good deal on the likes of Rock Shox Darts or Toras on eBay as a lot of people get these as OEM forks, upgrade them and flog them on cheap.  Or there is an excellent MTB shop in Carryduff who sell new stuff, but also sell some used parts as well - www.realcycles.com.

Note;
Real Cycles have now moved to the Temple Crossroads on the Ballynahinch Road

NI Bootcamp

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010 »

I take it you got your bike built by now?!!  If you need any advice I've been stripping and rebuilding bikes for 20 years now so can definitely help you out.

Cheers.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]