Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: MTB Trails  (Read 7161 times)

dean1970

• Top Poster
MTB Trails
« on: August 13, 2012 »

So, I have been told that the best trails are the trails that are not supposed to be there. People in the know use them. Any truth in this?

Are joe public like me just having to use the usual boring trails?

beau

• Jr. Poster
Re: MTB Trails
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012 »

Alot of trails are out of the way,only the trail fairys that built them know were they are.but theres lots of info on sites like trailbadger.com,and some great new offical trails beening built in the mournes not long until there ready :)

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012 »

I was in chain reaction looking at changing the bike and the bloke said there were a lot of trails being built. I was basically complaining that there is no need for a 5grand full sus for the tracks we have. So, apparently we have them.

silentbobt

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012 »

Best bet is to hook up with locals, as said above trailbadger has alot of info. I spent last weekend in Gortin Glen with a few mates some pretty good trails there :)

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012 »

My advice is to get out and ride.  There are loads you can find just by following tracks.  Also as said below hook up with locals.  The trail builders in general dont want to hide the trails from other bikers more from people who may wreck them and pull them down.

There is a hill in belfast with a cave that has some outstanding trails  ;)

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012 »

Thanks for taking time to comment.

I seen some youtube stuff from the cave on the hill. Never up there so I should give it a go. Spoke to someone local to the warrenpoint area. He said that MTB's fill up rostrevor, says that he heard there are quite good tracks.

I think you are right by saying just to get out and do the trail, although the bike aint that good, it will cope and help me at least decide what bike to get when I change.

Thanks again. 

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012 »

Dont think the bike aint that good.  For years I was riding our downhill trails on a bike with broken suspension and bald tyres and I had a great time.  Yes the bikes I have now are much more comfortable to ride and they make it easier to hit the jumps etc but I still hit them on the old bike.

You will always find trails by just getting out and riding. When you are out just remember other people use the area.  Some of our so called MTB trails are used by walkers so a bit of common courtesy should keep everyone happy.  ;D

Get out and Ride and enjoy.  If you are looking for a new bike at a good rate check these out.  http://www.facebook.com/62cycles 

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012 »

Some of our so called MTB trails are used by walkers so a bit of common courtesy should keep everyone happy.

Yep, was rambling through the woods today and found this lovely trail, obviously a lot of work went into this so i don't want to post the location publicly but pm me and i'll spill the beans  :)

think outside, no box required

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012 »

I love this trail!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012 »

it was bloody slippery today, could hardly walk over it! don't know how you guys ride over it, respect.
think outside, no box required

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012 »

Believe it or not it's easier on the bike.  There is a lovely drop off near the bottom of that trail.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]