Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Sites for Motorcycle Camping  (Read 6822 times)

surfnscenic

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Sites for Motorcycle Camping
« on: March 18, 2015 »

Haven't been on the forum nor out on the hills for a long time.  Looking some suggestions where I can take the motorcycle and camp. I'm aware of the forest parks eg Tollymore but am seeking somewhere more remote and secluded.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thank you.
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Sites for Motorcycle Camping
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015 »

Haven't been on the forum nor out on the hills for a long time.  Looking some suggestions where I can take the motorcycle and camp. I'm aware of the forest parks eg Tollymore but am seeking somewhere more remote and secluded.

All suggestions welcomed.

Hi Surfnscenic, long time no hear,

I'm getting my bike back on the road this weekend...  Well, that's the plan anyway, if I can remember how to put it all back together!!!

I have the same idea in mind as you, only I am planning on doing a bit of wild camping rather than limiting myself to campsites.  I'm just planning on riding with no particular place in mind, either to the Mournes, Ring of Gullion or Donegal etc.  I'll let fate decide where I'm spending the night and just find myself a nice secluded spot to set up camp.

There's also Scotland!  Stena line used to have a deal for motorbikes, were a day trip cost you £20.  A day trip isn't much good you may say but, here's the trick: you book one day trip from Belfast to Cairnryan for the Friday (But don't turn up for your boat home that evening).  You also book a day trip from Cairnryan to Belfast for the Sunday and yep you guessed it, you don't turn up for the boat that evening.  Hey presto, you have a weekend in Scotland with your machine for £40.  I pulled this little wheeze every other weekend for over a year, about 4 years ago, with no questions asked :-)

The A7 is an amazing road through fantastic landscape with lots and lots of places that would be ideal for an overnighter or two.

I've had a very quick look on the Stena Line website and it still seems to be offered: http://www.stenaline.co.uk/bike

If you want a chat give me a shout and if you fancy a bit of company I'd be more than happy to get something arranged.

I don't think we have your bike in the hall of fame yet so I'll get it added now in here now: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4489.msg48905#msg48905

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

surfnscenic

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Re: Sites for Motorcycle Camping
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015 »

Downer, thanks for your reply and info.

It was more wild camping I was thinking of too.  Maybe we could meet up for coffee and a yarn? We can PM to arrange finer details of where and when?
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]