Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Getting to Windy Gap by the Great Gully in the Mournes  (Read 9089 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

I was looking a a route that Spud posted starting at Attical and walking up Pigeon Rock / Windy Gap River to Windy Gap and Eagle Mountain. I've never actually been up that way before and was wondering what the area is like.

Is there anywhere to park up the Sandy Brae Road and is The Great Gully as as awesome in person as it looks on the map?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014 by RedLeader »

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
Re: Getting to Windy Gap by the Great Gully in the Mournes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014 »

A route I have done which I enjoyed, and which would be ideal for an overnighter, or day walk, is park at pigeon carpark 270/234, then up over Slievemageogh (cracking wee mountain and one of the easiest you will ever climb! Then make your way down and cross the pigeon rock/windy gap river loads of handy crossing spots, then on up the track under the great gully (and yes it is as awesome as it sounds [emoji2]) up to windy gap, then up and over slievemoughanmore and back over pigeon to the car!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014 »

This is from the DofE information regarding access in the Mournes.  I have parked at the community centre/sports club but only for the day.  I don't know if overnight parking is permitted. Don't try to cross from Cnocnafeola Wood to this area though, access is tightly policed around there.

Sandy Brae: Parking is available at Attical
Community Centre, well signposted at the lower
end of Sandy Brae and always open. An optional
donation of £2 may be left in the post-box at the
Centre. It is run by local people, without grant
aid, and money will be used to support its work.
Meantime, please do not park on the edges of
Sandy Brae Road and, on no account, drive
beyond the end of the tarmac surfaced road. If
desired, drop off passengers at end of tarmac
and return to park at Centre - it is less than 1km.
After crossing the footbridge, grid ref 264276
please walk around the back of the house
indicated on the map.
Avoid the farmland around Brown Hill, Sandy
Brae at Sheepfold/foot Bridge. Grid Ref. 264206
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014 »

That's a good looking route, do you just come right down the side of Slievemageogh? There's no path there.

Is a shame you can't park on Sandy Brae rather than having to tramp the road, wonder whose rule that is, I can't find mention of it online anywhere.

A route I have done which I enjoyed, and which would be ideal for an overnighter, or day walk, is park at pigeon carpark 270/234, then up over Slievemageogh (cracking wee mountain and one of the easiest you will ever climb! Then make your way down and cross the pigeon rock/windy gap river loads of handy crossing spots, then on up the track under the great gully (and yes it is as awesome as it sounds [emoji2]) up to windy gap, then up and over slievemoughanmore and back over pigeon to the car!

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014 »

That's a good looking route, do you just come right down the side of Slievemageogh? There's no path there.

Is a shame you can't park on Sandy Brae rather than having to tramp the road, wonder whose rule that is, I can't find mention of it online anywhere.

I made my way round from the summit and down towards the wall at approx 266/214, then followed a reasonable track down to the river, the sandy brae road isn't that long, I'd say that the locals have maybe asked that people don't park there, it's a narrow enough wee road and there's not many spaces to park.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014 »

That's one rough auld night lads,hope yous dropped down off the summit and camped in the woods towards Sandy Brae

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014 »

Here's a photo looking up the valley towards the windy gap

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014 »

It looks awesome up there, I'll defo have to get up for a dander. It's surprising how little I've been up around there.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]