Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hammock spots?  (Read 14750 times)

Dust

• Newbie Poster
Hammock spots?
« on: April 13, 2016 »

Just got my first hammock, heading out near the end of the month, most likely to Analong Woods (used the tent there a few times).
Wondering if there's any experienced "hangers'' could give a heads up on any other locations (north or south of the border) worth checking out? Obviously, state owned land, rather not peev any farmers off.....

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Hammock spots?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016 »

To be honest it's hard to find anywhere that you are 100% officially allowed to camp at all (apart from official campsites). I'm not even sure if the status of Annalong Wood. Obviously people do camp there regularly but I've never actually seen anyone from the water board that own the land say that it's actually allowed. Most public forests have bylaws that prohibit camping without explicit permission and anywhere private that allows camping will usually be paid for and have strict rules about what you can and can't do which usually doesn't allow hammocking.

I'm not sure about the rules in the South.

I'm wracking my brains but apart from Donard Wood and Annalong Wood I don't think I've ever hammocked anywhere else apart from Salt Island.

I'd also welcome recommendations on any spots :)

Dust

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016 »

As I understand it ALL wild camping in UK is illegal (as all land is owned).
The reason I'm looking for state owned land is obviously because there's less likelihood that one will get caught/prosecuted. If people keep out of sight and LNT it's pretty much OK, the rangers must know about the camping at certain spots and let it slide.
There are plenty of small places dotted around close to me, but all are close to public walks, id rather be out of sight, just to be safe.
I've spotted a nice wee place near Helen's Tower at Conlig, but again it's too close to civilization to set up.
The search continues....
As and when I find places I'll do my best to update locations.

Heggs

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016 »

Hi guys, you should really look into rams island. Perfect for the hammock/bivvy/tent. I have posted before about it, if you do a quick search on the site, it should show up. He'll only take bookings from late June/early July onwards as it is a big bird breeding place

Dust

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016 »

Thanks, I'll check it out!

torp

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016 »

Was up at Helen's Tower for the first time 3/4 weeks ago its fine for the hammock but i was warned about bikers and hikers at the weekends and it is bad, they're up and about from around 7/8am so a lie in is a no no, I don't think i would go back to be honest.

Torp ::)

Dust

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016 »

I live close to Helens Tower, had considered it as an option since it's close to home, but I had a walk around the grounds and everything is pretty close to the path, liked the spot  beside little lake. But to much public exposure. Still may go a few more times see if I can get a bit away from the path and set up.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016 »

Did the bikers and hikers just make a lot of noise or did they cause a fuss?

Was up at Helen's Tower for the first time 3/4 weeks ago its fine for the hammock but i was warned about bikers and hikers at the weekends and it is bad, they're up and about from around 7/8am so a lie in is a no no, I don't think i would go back to be honest.

Torp ::)

torp

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016 »

no problems from either, more the fact the bikers were flying past no more than a few feet away and no no-one said anything

Just too many peeps about
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016 by torp »

Dust

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016 »

Today's the day guys.... First ever hang... It's cold and meant to rain pretty much all day... Yay..... =/
Hoping to make the Mournes for around 2pm, and set up camp by 4, have to be home early tomorrow morning. If it's not a complete disaster, I'll try post a few pics.

torp

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016 »

Good luck ;D

Dust

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016 »

Just back from last nights first hang. Fairly successful. The predicted rain held off, the sun came out and melted away the skiff of snow (it remained fairly windy though).
Couple of learning curves to go through, particularly with tarp setups.
It was cold at around 2degrees. But no more or less comfortable than in a tent.
Didn't sleep great, but I'm putting that down to the fact I was on edge about how cold my kid might be and that I couldn't just glance over and see him.

I was in my DD Travel on a SIM, 2 season sleeping bag and a thin blanket, covered by a DD 3x3.

Phil was in a Snugpak Jungle with a foam pad and 3 season bag, covered with a DD 3X3.

Tyler was in a £20 non branded hammock from Amazon, on a SIM then a pad, 2 season bag covered with a good heavy blanket (he slept the best). Covered by a Queshqa (decathalon brand) tarp from our tent camping.

torp

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016 »

Glad to hear you a fairly good night Dust and to be honest it is one big learning curve even to those that have been doing it for quite a while  ;D

JayMack

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016 »

Went camping with a couple of friends round Strangford lough a few weeks ago.  There's a beach near Castle Espie, close to Nendrum monument.  I think the National Trust owns it.  My friend used the hammock and I used a tent.  He had no complaints about the hammock.  It was a cool night, but we put a tarp up to protect against most of the wind.  I'll definitely be investing in a hammock, as it's much easier to carry than the tent.

Dust

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016 »

Nice one Jay. Its a brilliant way to camp.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]