Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mourne Tips for an Absolute Novice  (Read 12908 times)

Darran

• Top Poster
Mourne Tips for an Absolute Novice
« on: November 10, 2014 »

Hello,

I can see that these forums are packed with info about the Mournes which I am looking forward to picking through.

As for myself I am looking for a hobby and would quite like to give hiking a shot (though I have no hiking experience -save Mt Slemish). Even though I am from just outside Belfast I am lured to the scenery of the Mournes and the thought of exploring the place.

So far I have read through a few different web pages but what I think I could use is some inside advice. Are there any easy-going trails for instance, until I get used to the long walks? Is there anything in particular that I should watch out for? Have you any common sense advice to give me or any particular information that I should know about the area?

And last but not least, is it recommended at all for a beginner to tackle between the Nov - February months?

I sound as though I am asking a lot, but any help at all is much appreciated!

-Darran

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Mourne Tips for an Absolute Novice
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014 »

Congrats on making the choice to spend time outdoors and turn off the telly etc, it is a little backwards but i'll chime in with your last question first. If you want to spend time outdoors then to paraphrase Ray Mears "people who go outside when the sun is out are missing out half of the year". Part of the nature of this country is that it is a generally cold, wet, and windy place. I would say far from avoiding this time, that this time is the perfect time to start to try hiking etc. You will get very wet and very cold, sometimes quite miserable. But you will come out of it knowing if it is something you really have a passion for at the end with no illusions, not to mention how you will have learned skills how to prepare for bad conditions that will make the summer months an easy jaunt in the sun. In short yes get out now take every chance you can get and get soggy, skin is waterproof anyway.

I don't know the east anywhere near well enough to suggest trails but others no doubt will chime in soon enough for you. But I would also say try to get out with some folks, just a simple day out walking will let you pick up so many tips and basic skills that alone could take you weeks or months to learn. In addition you have some added security and so can learn things without the fear factor or worse becoming a casualty through lack of experience. Depending on how much you like things you could soon find it getting expensive with gear etc, and again being out with others will help there. You can chat with folks about various kit and get tips and pointers on stuff to avoid that would be a waste of cash.

I'd wager if you have a basic set of clothes and boots at the moment and the desire to go see stuff, and get wet then you should find it easy to be out enjoying the mountains before the end of the month with other like minded folks with ease.

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014 »

Haha! Thanks for the reply. That's a really good point, I am actually looking forward to the bad weather, it's definitely more exciting. We will see how quickly that wears off, but just as you say, I will know exactly where I stand!

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014 »

For starters, great that you're getting out there, it always beats sitting in front of the box as Rich said.

It's also good that you have come here looking for advice, there is a wealth of information available from the other members.

Getting started in the Mournes can be great fun, but in the winter and with little experience of the Mournes, it pays to start off in the lower Eastern areas with easy shelter available. This will realistically mean Donard Wood in Newcastle or Tollymore Forest Park. This is because the high Mournes in winter can be daunting and even dangerous. The weather can close in in 15 mins and without some experience in navigating down the down mountains in thick cloud or fog, we'd hate for you to become a MRT statistic. There is quite a lot of scope in both the above areas for getting used to the climbing and descending and generally being outdoors.

Also, it would be worth posting to see if there is anyone who wants to do some easier low stuff with you over the winter, to give you something to build on once the spring comes.

Well done for trying it and asking questions, it's how all of us learned.

Stefan
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014 by spynappels »

Moxy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014 »

Hi Darran, welcome to the forum. That time of year is the only time I really get away from work as well, and I love getting out into the hills and woods. I live in Newcastle so its an easy commute for me. As others have said tollymore, donard wood etc are great places to start- in fact I took a dander up to the quarry above Newcastle there the other week. At times the weather was bleak but cleared just as I got to the quarry- and then started lashing again. I headed along the top of Donard wood and stopped for a mug of hot soup in the grass with the sheep next to the ice house. crossed the river and headed back down through the woods to Kings street above Newcastle police station. Not a hard walk but was lovely being out and about and as Rich said- skin is waterproof!

I would be keen to meet up if you fancied it. Im off work this Wednesday- don't get my weekends back until December!

Also maybe you should come to the Christmas camp this year. Its with a great bunch of people (all ages) with a wealth of knowledge. I went last year and everybody was really welcoming and friendly. Great chance to network and hear about different routes and the Christmas dinner was the best I have ever had (don't tell the wife!)

Moxy
Alive or just breathing?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014 »

I'd second what people are saying here, you can get out in the Mournes all year around with no bother, although obviously always watch the weather forecast. That said, I'd exercise caution until you get your confidence up, the conditions can change really quickly and you wouldn't want to get caught out in unfamiliar territory and potentially without the right gear.

Somewhere like the Annalong Valley or Trassey Track would be good starting points to have a wander without climbing any mountains and would get you a feel for the area.

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014 »

That's brilliant, thank you for the tips! I think taking it easy for a while sounds like the best bet. I'm sorry that I am only replying now Moxy, thank you for the offer but it looks as though it would need to be an odd-Saturday what with being self employed! The Christmas camp sounds very interesting, I will have a think about that one. The food definitely sweetens the deal.

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014 »

Depending on work this Saturday - or perhaps some time during next week - I was planning to take a dander to Hare's Gap to start easy, maybe taking a look at the Brandy Pad. Is there anything I should know?

I ask this as although I am 22 and slim I am in pretty bad shape fitness wise (which would be good to improve on) and I will more than likely be going alone. I will have decent winter clothes so I don't expect this to be a problem, but it's better off asking!

Moxy

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014 »

If you're in bad shape, then you are going to sweat. Make sure you regulate your temperature to try and minimise your sweating, because when you stop for a rest the wind and cold will freeze you. I've seen a guy go down with hypothermia this way. Take a spare t shirt so you can get changed when you stop for lunch. I once stripped down to my boxers and put on a full change of clothes on top of Binnian in january- that will put hair on your chest!! Really really worth that couple of minutes being chilly.
Alive or just breathing?

Rugged Track

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014 »

I carry a wee 2 person emergency shelter that is good for sitting in breaks and lunch, you warm up really quickly in it and keeps the wind away and is just the size or smaller than a pack away waterproof.  Handy to have.

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014 »

If you're in bad shape, then you are going to sweat. Make sure you regulate your temperature to try and minimise your sweating, because when you stop for a rest the wind and cold will freeze you. I've seen a guy go down with hypothermia this way. Take a spare t shirt so you can get changed when you stop for lunch. I once stripped down to my boxers and put on a full change of clothes on top of Binnian in january- that will put hair on your chest!! Really really worth that couple of minutes being chilly.

Haha. I hadn't thought of that. I will do! Thanks for the tip!

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014 »

I carry a wee 2 person emergency shelter that is good for sitting in breaks and lunch, you warm up really quickly in it and keeps the wind away and is just the size or smaller than a pack away waterproof.  Handy to have.

That's actually pretty cool. I have looked them up and expected them to be a lot more expensive than they are. I might have to get one of these after I go up (and hopefully down) a few times!

Rugged Track

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014 »

That's actually pretty cool. I have looked them up and expected them to be a lot more expensive than they are. I might have to get one of these after I go up (and hopefully down) a few times!

They are very handy and got mine reduced at the time to around £12 in a sale , was well pleased.

mrdosu

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014 »

Talking about the Mournes, would it be needed to carry crampons there in the wintertime (I am just hiking, not technical climbing)?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single commission voting to convene a committee to draw up guidelines.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014 »

Talking about the Mournes, would it be needed to carry crampons there in the wintertime (I am just hiking, not technical climbing)?

I couldn't see any time when someone just starting out would need them, most of the ground you will likely be walking on will be either bog or stone trails. The trails are more like large gravel tracks and the bog would need some serious weather to make it slippery enough to justify them. There has only been a few times in recent years where there was heavy snow on the Mournes (you can find a few threads on here to see), to be honest if conditions were like that I would say forget the crampons and play it safe by either staying home or only going with someone.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]