Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: up Donard in an hour?  (Read 47744 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: up Donard in an hour?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012 »

well tried again this morning, i've been doing a lot of short jogs (1-3miles) every second day for about a month so i was feeling up for it, very little wind today and overcast so perfect conditions, but despite all that i seem to have slowed down, only 1hr 9mins  >:(  may try again next week  :) but gonna be sore tomorrow
think outside, no box required

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012 »

keep at it Liam. Will get there soon enough! Good to have a project and work on it like you have been :)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012 »

true, i often wonder if i crack the hour will i sit back, rest on my laurels and turn back into a couch potatoe  ;D

well it was a real struggle after the saddle, wish i'd brough my camera up as there were some nice shots to be had of the mourne wall with 2-3ft of snow beside it, when i got to the top i jumped off the wall into it and lay for a few minutes, it was like a big duvet, then eventually i got cold  :)

only pic i got was from newcastle

according to my gps it was 4.7km to the top (from gate at donard park to summit via glen river path)
total ascent was 866meters, moving average 4.0kmh (was 5.1kmh until i reach the botttom of the steps - for comparison, my jogging pace is 9kmh, thats pretty slow)

i might have been a bit faster but they've started repairing the footpath near the ice house and they've blocked the wee smooth running track near the edge to force everyone higher up near the forest, anyhow thats my poor excuse, feelin some muscle tiredness now, and my toes are burning hot, but no blisters  :) (yet!)

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012 »

maybe try this with you in a few weeks,on the first stage,ie the forest have you tried going up via the trail that runs to the other side of the river,then keeping to the wood trail right until the gate at the ice- house,the clear choice after this is the black stairs,then straight up the face,or doulbe time it to the saddle up the traditional route :P

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012 »

Was reading the posts there and gave it a go... absolutely busted myself and got 1hr 15min was very happy with that time! Used the Donnard Car Park, Forest, Glen River, Hare's Gap route.... Gonna explore the Black Stairs though and give it a go that way... I'd love to be able to say I did Donnard in less than an hour!  :) Good Luck with any attempts!
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012 »

Forgot to say keep at it Liam! ... you'll get there!
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012 »

Hare's gap route James,do you not mean the saddle?Hares gap is up from the trassy track between slieve bearnagh & slievenaglough ???

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012 »

This boy can fairly shift it!  Hare's Gap ;D
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012 »

I've been calling the Saddle the Hare's gap for ages now.... wondering why people sometimes looked at me a little funny!  :-[  .... I've shown myself to be the city boy I am lol!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012 »

Fair play to ya Rusty, has the the pain set in yet? was worse for me the day after  ;D  my dander up Hen yesterday got the muscles moving again and the pain dissapeared, today i did a wee jog up Slieve Croob aong the road, nothing strenuous but some hill work to test the muscles and i think i'm ready for another stab at Donard this weekend, maybe saturday morning at 10am

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012 »

Cheers Liam! ... Yeah I thought I was grand until I went to get out of my mate's car back in Belfast and realised my legs had siezed up and it took a minute before they obeyed commands from my brian again!  :-\ Working Saturday but would love to get up with a few of the folks here on the forum... Will give a wee shout when I'm next going!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012 »

failed again today, the weather was WILD up there, snow, ice, gales, the lot  :o  but i did manage a 1hr 15m which i'm happy with due to the conditions (wind pushing me sideways at times) best of all i've no pain (yet) from my legs, seems my muscles got such a good workout last time  :)

snowing on the way up the steps

icy on the steps after the saddle so had to keep out from the wall so little shelter from the wind

summit in sight, i actually managed to put on a little jog from here

shelter at last  :D
(got some weird looks from people as i was wearing shorts  8)  also forgot my hat and gloves, well its not like i had to remember many things  ::) )

coming down again it got really bitterly cold and the wind was now against me, think i lost feeling in my fingers a bit too, but sun came out as i approached the saddle and i was toasty warm again, yer man in the yellow top passed me 3 times, he did donard, then commedagh, then donard again  :o i felt sorry for his poor dog who seemed a bit shattered  :D

snow all gone

will be easier when the path is finished, looks like a good job so far

spotted a bonzai tree  ::)

soon followed by some giant redwoods  8)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012 by LandyLiam »

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012 »

Dam wish i was fiter, but ill start training again  :P
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012 »

Keep at it mate,sure you'll get it,but what this madness with the shorts ???,crazy dude ,legs must have been cut off you

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012 »

Must have just missed you yesterday Liam, we passed that fell runner with the dog on the way off Comedagh. You're right about the dog, the poor thing really didn't seem up for it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]