Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Any opinions on Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5?  (Read 4501 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Any opinions on Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5?
« on: November 03, 2010 »

Don't suppose anyone out there is shooting with either a Canon S95 or a Panasonic LX5?  I'm looking for a compact camera to take out in the hills as the size and weight of my 50D keeps putting me off taking it on anything longer than a day trip.  I was in Jessops today so I could have a good play with both cameras and had more or less set my mind on the LX5, but it turns out the S95 is a jolly good compact as well.  The handling is superior on the LX5 as it has a bit of a grip, but I'm drawn to the S95 as the Canon interface is really familiar to me and there is a sweet manual adjustment ring on the lens which you can set to quickly adjust ISO, manual focus etc.

Open to other suggestions for compacts as well.  I'm looking for something with decent build quality, fixed lens, ability to shoot manual and ability to shoot RAW.  I don't need a big zoom range as its mainly for landscapes, but I would like a decent wide angle.

I've largely ruled out getting a micro systems camera such as the Olympus EP or Panasonic GF1, although I see Chris Townsend recently bought a Sony NEX 5 and seems impressed with it so far.  If I did go for a micro interchangeable lens camera it would be to completely replace my D-SLR rather than to accompany it.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Any opinions on Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010 »

Hey Suspect'

I got the LX5 a month or so back and to be honest I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of picture I'm getting.  Perhaps my expectations are too high after using a Nikon DSLR for the last 6 years or more.

I am strictly amatuer when it comes to photography and have been using the Auto setting much of the time but where I see the difference is when pictures from the LX5 are blown up a bit.  They get very grainy after only a slight enlargement which you do not get with my Nikon images.

At the moment I am only shooting in .jpg on my LX5 because none of the software I have i.e. Photoshop CS3, Paintshop Pro X3 or Adobe Lightroom 3 will open the LX5 Raw files yet. 

I suppose I really need to take both my DSLR and the LX5 out some day and take identical pictures and compare the quality when transferred to PC.

One thing that must be said about the LX5 is that the HD Video Camera function is absolutely amazing quality and blows my Sony DCR-HC30E out of the water.

Suspect', if you want to borrow my LX5 this weekend to take a load of photo you are more than welcome.  Best way to find out if you like it or not.  PM me if you want to give it a go and I can drop it round.  ;D   
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: Any opinions on Canon S95 or Panasonic LX5?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010 »

At the moment I am only shooting in .jpg on my LX5 because none of the software I have i.e. Photoshop CS3, Paintshop Pro X3 or Adobe Lightroom 3 will open the LX5 Raw files yet.

There is a new release candidate of Adobe Lightroom 3.3 on the Adobe Labs site that offers increased support for several new camera models.  Not sure if the LX5 is included, but might be worth a look.

Another option may be to use the Adobe DNG converter.  It is free software that allows you to convert RAW files to DNG format.  DNG is a Digital Negative format, and the theory is the same as RAW.  However, because most manufacturers (Canon, Nikon etc.) use a different type of RAW file the idea behind DNG is to create a standard file that will be cross compatible and hopefully fairly future proof.  I used the converter for awhile until RAW files from the 50D was supported.

Okay, scrub all that!  I just came across this page on the Adobe site and it appears RAW files from the LX5 are supported in Lightroom 3.2.  I'd check to make sure you are running the latest version!

Newly Supported cameras for Camera Raw 6 and Lightroom 3
Support for the following cameras has been added for Camera Raw 6.2 and Lightroom 3.2.

Canon EOS 60D
Casio EXILIM EX-FH100 (DNG*)
Fuji FinePix HS10
Leica S2 (DNG*)
Panasonic DMC-FZ100
Panasonic DMC-FZ40 (FZ45)
Panasonic DMC-LX5
Pentax 645D Samsung NX10
Samsung TL500 (EX1)
Sony A290
Sony A390
Sony Alpha NEX-3