Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Fungal Foray: November 07, 2010

Author Topic: Fungal Foray - Redburn Country Park, Holywood.  (Read 8884 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

I have recently entered the world of foraging and have bought a few books relating to the subject. See here for info: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1399.0

Mushrooms is one area that fascinates me, but also scares the Bejesus out of me at the same time.  Picking and munching on the wrong one could be fatal.  On a positive... it could also be highly hallucinogenic, but I suppose things could get a bit messy if your in the hills at the time  :o

Anyways... I noticed this event being run in Holywood on the 7th November and I've reserved a couple of places: http://www.ni-environment.gov.uk/events/events-map/events-down.htm?&id=43804

If anybody else is interested in a place get in there quickly because spaces are limited.

Here's another site worth checking out too if your interested in a bit of foraging: http://www.wildmanwildfood.com/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010 by admin »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

ChuckMcB

Re: Fungal Foray - Redburn Country Park, Holywood.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010 »

Excellent, missed the one in Larne the other week. We'll see if we can eat them there bright red 'srooms yet :)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010 »

Excellent, missed the one in Larne the other week. We'll see if we can eat them there bright red 'srooms yet :)

Heh... I took pictures of those big red toadstools  in Annalong Wood on Saturday past and indentified them when I got home.  They are called Amanita Muscaria (Fly Agaric) and are described as "Poisonous, but rarely fatal"  They also contain Hallucinogenic properties... Viking 'Bezerker Warriors' ingested Amanita Muscaria before going into battle.  ::)

Suspectmonkey may want to consider some mushrooms on toast before he tackles his 26 mile Mourne Way dander  :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010 by Dowser »
See the View

ChuckMcB

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010 »

"....but rarely fatal"
Well that's ok then :)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010 »

Suspectmonkey may want to consider some mushrooms on toast before he tackles his 26 mile Mourne Way dander  :D

I was thinking more sausage and egg... and replacing the toast with soda bread ;)

You gonna join us mate?  I promise to let you do some 'shroom identification en route, although can't guarantee I'd be up for taste sessions yet!

BCB_Binlid

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010 »

[/quote]

Heh... I took pictures of those big red toadstools  in Annalong Wood on Saturday past and indentified them when I got home.  They are called Amanita Muscaria (Fly Agaric) and are described as "Poisonous, but rarely fatal"  They also contain Hallucinogenic properties... Viking 'Bezerker Warriors' ingested Amanita Muscaria before going into battle.  ::)

Suspectmonkey may want to consider some mushrooms on toast before he tackles his 26 mile Mourne Way dander  :D

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkCS9ePWuLU&p=C204A075F35D7786&playnext=1&index=82

;)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010 »

Here's a pic of the accused... Maybe somebody with a bit more 'shroom knowledge can confirm if this is an Amanita Muscaria

Purely for the purposes of Mycology of course  ::)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010 by Dowser »
See the View

Greyfox

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010 »

Yes thats a fly agaric, just remember that although some books say it has hallucinaginic properties this dosent mean you will get a high it could mean it will knock you out cause convulsions internal bleeding craps vomitting and possible permanent brian power issues. Mushrooms are facinating but they give no real benifits to the eater other than taste and thats only if you get the right ones. You are going the right way about it though by joining a group but always ere on the side of caution as they are certainly some of the most dangerous organisums out there.
Northern Ireland Survival School
"Teaching yesterday skills today"
www.nisurvival.co.uk
nisurvivalschool@gmail.com

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010 »

Yes thats a fly agaric, just remember that although some books say it has hallucinaginic properties this dosent mean you will get a high it could mean it will knock you out cause convulsions internal bleeding craps vomitting and possible permanent brian power issues. Mushrooms are facinating but they give no real benifits to the eater other than taste and thats only if you get the right ones. You are going the right way about it though by joining a group but always ere on the side of caution as they are certainly some of the most dangerous organisums out there.

Here Here!!! I have been reading up on mushrooms for quite some time now and to be honest not one fungi, that hasn't come out of Tesco (Other Supermarkets are available, as the say on the BBC) has past my lips.

My main aim is to be able to identify a good Chanterelle or Field Blewit to add a bit of flavour and texture to my super noodles.

From all my reading so far mushrooms are not to be messed with or it will all end in tears  :'(
See the View

Greyfox

• Top Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010 »

One of the biggest problems is the information in books like food for free, it dosent give enough and some time little knowledge is a dangerous thing. It is so difficult identifying some of the species and although some books give details of where you might find amanitas they dont add that they can grow anywhere. Chanterelles are a good one to start with as you cant really confuse them with any that are really dangerous they are that lovely yellow/orange colour and smell of apricots no others have that distinction. I have eaten quite a few different fungi my favourite being the jews ear which some books claim grows exclusively on elder, i have found very good crops on ash and even on dead birch. My advice learn one at a time and fully investigate it and do spore prints that is a real way of telling which is which.
Northern Ireland Survival School
"Teaching yesterday skills today"
www.nisurvival.co.uk
nisurvivalschool@gmail.com

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010 »

Good links, thanks Dowser. I'm hoping to make it along to that walk if there are still spaces. I recently purchased the 'food for free' handbook and so far have found (& of course eaten!) elder berries, blackberries, wood sorrel, dandelions, blackcurrants, nettles, hawthorns, sloes and wild strawberries. My walks are more interesting now as I'm constantly on the look out for some free grub :-)

Oh yeah a useful linky to find how common NI wild food is and also where they are found http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010 »

they were talking about this site on radio 4 the other day. Might be of interest.
http://ispot.org.uk/

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010 »

I'm going on this now too.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]