Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Lightweight Camera Suggestions  (Read 12027 times)

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
Lightweight Camera Suggestions
« on: June 01, 2012 »

Hi All,

Having walked the Mourne Wall previously, I'm hoping to give it a lash again soon to try and beat my time. Been dabbling in a bit of hill-running so hopefully my fitness has improved somewhat since I last done it.

Last time out I carried a DSLR and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions re. a lightweight camera I could take that would produce half-decent images? Really enjoyed taking pics on my last effort but it's obviously a significant piece of weight to be carrying around for 35km+.

For anyone interested, write-up from last effort is at: http://www.walkingandhikingireland.com/?p=980

Thanks,
Paul

Pudd

• Top Poster
Re: Lightweight Camera Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012 »

I have a Cannon Ixus 220HS.  Great little camera, however not waterproof.  Has a 5x optical zoom, and 1080p recording capabilities. 

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/IXUS/IXUS_220_HS/

Review:
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_ixus_220_hs_review/

I could always add you to Facebook, so you can see some of the cracking photos I have taken from it.

The only downside to going outdoors is having to come back inside.

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012 »

I personally myself would stick with the camera, cracking photos, just looking at them I'm sure you are grateful you have such great photos to remember that trip with.

Personal opinion, but lose weight elsewhere. I'm a sucker for great photos.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012 »

Thanks for the suggestion Pudd. I will have a look at the review...

Oisin, I'm hoping to run the downhill parts so it's not practical to have the DSLR on my back, too much weight and a high probability of getting broke should I take a fall. I really enjoy taking photos but looks like I'll also be doing the wall during the year over 2 days so can take the camera then and take me time..

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012 »

Well in that case if your running I understand.

Have you had a look at the GoPro HD Hero's? I bought one recently and I'm really pleased with it. Its bombproof, quite literally. The video is much better than the pictures (Simply because that was what it was designed for), but the pictures are still a pretty acceptable 11MP. Its no DSLR, but for the safety of mind knowing it wont break, it may be an alternative.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

truescot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012 »

I've just ordered a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT20. It's waterproof and should give wider angle shots than most other compacts of similar type. Like you I'm not overly happy trailing my DSLR round in a waterproof bag in my rucksack in the weather we normally have. I'll let you know how I find it.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012 »

I've been thinking of getting one of those too, only downside was the longest shutter speed was 8secs (i like up to 60secs), so let us know how you get on with yours please  :)
think outside, no box required

truescot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012 »

Got got this evening. Looks good. A lot of features you can customise and a few good landscape settings. As you say max exposure is 8 seconds - the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT10 gives a 60 second option though. I'll test it better when I get out into the Mournes again and post back my thoughts.

Shan Doan

• Newbie Poster
    • Shan Doan Videos
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012 »

You just can't better an SLR for all the creative options, but for many who seriously hit the mountains there have to be some compromises. On days out I carry one SLR, a mini-tripod and two lenses giving me a 17mm-300mm range. Very useful and it keeps my compact camera bag at around 6kg, including grub.

But for those who really need less weight and quality results Canon's Powershots are hard to beat, like the G1 X or G12. I've used a G9 and at the lowest ISO I got very good images indeed. But the cost may be too much for some.

These days I sometimes carry the Fujifilm X10 which has had around £100 shaved off its street price thanks to Fuji's absurd technical problems. (Sorted now.) It's definitely worth the current price – on Amazon, for example. Light, relatively easy to carry around, but good creative options too when you need them.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]