Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• NI-Wild Camping Trip: January 23, 2010 - January 24, 2010
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Jan 23/24 10 Donard Forest Camping Trip  (Read 64349 times)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Jan 23/24 10 Camping Trip
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010 »

Fair points. With the mat I've been using self inflaters that weigh 1kg. I got the Airic at 494g but I'm not totally convinced it will be comfy enough so I'm bringing the foam one to use beneath. Is only 154g so I think it's worth the experiment. As far as the Trangia goes, watching you guys cooking in minutes while I fecked about with pots on the fire made me promise I would never leave the house again without at least a lightweight cooking system. Not even to go down the shops :)

The bivvy I just feel safer carrying incase I get into trouble or get a leaky tent.

What's your list - you travel pretty light don't you?

Why not use the backrest from your rucksack for underneath? or if you dont have one just the ruck itself? and if your in such a hurry to eat then why are you walking!? I'm only messin with you jonno there were just a few things I thought you cudda left out.
As for me I dunno yet i'll see what comes to hand on friday night!

Don't forget your head torch mate.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010 »

Well count me in, with two provisos: 1. my tent arrives in the post this week (should be a cert!) and 2. the weather forecast 666 posted doesnt suddenly change to dark blue all over NI.  I'm a fair weather hiker at the moment :D

I'm up for Meelmore to Donard Wood with the return leg via. Brandy Pad if that suits okay.  At least Meelmore will be safe to leave the car at overnight, even if it costs a couple of £.

Logistically I've no idea what I'm going to bring, or how.  I might as well 'fess up now and say I've never done an overnight hike/camp.  In the past I've always car camped at a base camp and hiked from there and back.  But seeing this is on my 2010 list of things to do I might as well get stuck in as long as no body has any objects to a newbie coming along :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010 »

Excellent! - got to jump in some time. I posted a potential kit list in a earlier in this thread - I think it represents a good mix of the necessities.

Well count me in, with two provisos: 1. my tent arrives in the post this week (should be a cert!) and 2. the weather forecast 666 posted doesnt suddenly change to dark blue all over NI.  I'm a fair weather hiker at the moment :D

I'm up for Meelmore to Donard Wood with the return leg via. Brandy Pad if that suits okay.  At least Meelmore will be safe to leave the car at overnight, even if it costs a couple of £.

Logistically I've no idea what I'm going to bring, or how.  I might as well 'fess up now and say I've never done an overnight hike/camp.  In the past I've always car camped at a base camp and hiked from there and back.  But seeing this is on my 2010 list of things to do I might as well get stuck in as long as no body has any objects to a newbie coming along :)

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010 »

Never fear I've never been wrong yet. ::) Its not the blue rain you have to worry about its the green stuff

Great I love it when a plan comes together.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010 »

Sweet thats what we're all about, meeting new people and getting out there. The basic "rule" of kit is only bring what you think you'll use. I.e no point bringing two stoves or three coats! Since you'll be walking a light windproof layer is handy for lunch breaks map checks etc

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010 »

and a wee tiple for round the campfire ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010 »

and a wee tiple for round the campfire ;D

Amen brother! The most important piece of gear that's always worth the weight ::)

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010 »

Alright guy's just in from work and it seems everything is workin out cushty.......must say great to have "suspect" on board I hope you catch the bug  ;D

Have we worked out the two groups yet?

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010 »

at the minute it looks like me you and chris doing the horseshoe and jonno and suspect coming in form the hare gap.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010 »

Are you thinkin of goin back to Carrick Little or Meelmore on the second day (I'm trying to work out a plan for transport)

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010 »

what do you have in mind mate?

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010 »

Was contemplating leaving my wheels at Meelmore for secure parking but hadn't worked out how to get to Carrick Little if I choose that route and if I so it makes sense to trek back there to finish :-\

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010 »

Dammit  >:( why couldnt i have been born a week later... ragin im gonna miss this now sounds like a good plan is comin together well now
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010 »

Dammit  >:( why couldnt i have been born a week later... ragin im gonna miss this now sounds like a good plan is comin together well now

Have your bday party in Donard Wood :D

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010 »

Too right I spent my last birthday at the top of Slieve Bearnagh looking at a glow stick for fun  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]