Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Northern Ireland Solo Camping Recommendations  (Read 13087 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Northern Ireland Solo Camping Recommendations
« on: February 24, 2010 »

I'm still determined to get a solo camp under my belt sometime soon and I'm wondering where's the best spot.

Under normal circumstances on the top of a Mourne peak would be ideal but for my first I'd like somewhere within a reasonable distance of the car and with an easy walk (for the wifes sanity). I can only really think of Donard Wood which would be fine but not somewhere I'd feel totally comfortable on my own on account of it being a bit of a popular spot for local drinkies.

Any thoughts?

pablo

• Sr. Poster
Re: Northern Ireland Solo Camping Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010 »

why not try crawfordsburn scouting centre,i used it a few years ago for a rough camp with the kids.

or mountstewart ?

the question is ...why? its cold and lonely on your own.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010 »

Try Glenarif, or go up Trostin. What about the Sperrins? There's more places to camp than just the Mournes.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010 »

Try Glenarif, or go up Trostin. What about the Sperrins? There's more places to camp than just the Mournes.
The Moyle way is good heading up Troston its rightly enclosed and there s plenty of fire wood.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010 »

There's a couple places in Crawfordsburn Country park that would be perfect.

If you're walking the North Down Coastal path from Holywood to Bangor, after you go up and down the steps around Seahill, and you officially enter Crawfordsburn Country Park, the wee cove around the disused boat house offers a couple places to camp up, with a car park only a 100 metres up the hill at the end of Coastguard Avenue (however this does get locked over night, don't know if your car would get clamped or what?)

Again in Crawfordsburn park, the 21 arces of meadowland which is situated either side of Old Windmill Road and where the Old Crawfordsburn Railway station was, even though google maps says its where Carnalea train station is. Car parking on the road.

Orlock point between Donaghadee and Groomsport also offers a couple of nice spots to camp with car parking not too far away off the main road.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010 »

Would they not be well heeled routes with the local cider drinkers? Being on my own I want somewhere fairly isolated. Plus are you allowed to camp in Crawfordsburn? I thought they would be strict about that sort of thing. Orlock Point would be awesome - was round that way a few weeks back and it has some stunning views.

There's a couple places in Crawfordsburn Country park that would be perfect.

If you're walking the North Down Coastal path from Holywood to Bangor, after you go up and down the steps around Seahill, and you officially enter Crawfordsburn Country Park, the wee cove around the disused boat house offers a couple places to camp up, with a car park only a 100 metres up the hill at the end of Coastguard Avenue (however this does get locked over night, don't know if your car would get clamped or what?)

Again in Crawfordsburn park, the 21 arces of meadowland which is situated either side of Old Windmill Road and where the Old Crawfordsburn Railway station was, even though google maps says its where Carnalea train station is. Car parking on the road.

Orlock point between Donaghadee and Groomsport also offers a couple of nice spots to camp with car parking not too far away off the main road.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010 »

The only place I've ever seen people drinking in Crawf park is on the main beaches (Helen's Bay or Crawf) I would be very surprised if you saw anyone drinking by the boathouse or in the meadows, its just too much effort to get to. Prob see some peeps Sunday morning with their dogs though

Orlock point is a lovely spot to camp, stayed their a couple times and you can take yourself a good bit away from the main path and out of sight, while being only a metre or two from the sea. Last time I was around Orlock I walked a bit with an old guy who had 4 German pointers of various ages with him

barry5891

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010 »

the antrim hills are full of little out of the way woods was at one last weekend near cushandun(hint its near a viaduct)brillant spot saw no one but yuo hear alot of bikes.was in the mournes about a month ago,annalong wood was like a shanty town tents everywhere.had to overnight at percys bithe?i think thats what it was called.near binnian lough.
everyone has to be somewhere,your here,get on with it.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]