Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ozone  (Read 14606 times)

Samm

• Top Poster
Ozone
« on: March 27, 2012 »

Just looking a bit of advice from those that use the Ozone for climbing.  Do they rent out harnesses or do you need to have all your own kit?  What's the wall like in general?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Ozone
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012 »

the wall is bigger than tollymores but they don't have the autodescenders and you may have to lead climb up to fix a rope if none are already in position, not sure about gear hire.
think outside, no box required

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012 »

Samm, I've been thinking of starting up climbing. I know Tollymore are doing a girls only course. If you are interested let me know.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012 »

I'm just coming to the end of the women's climbing course in Tollymore! I think that they were saying that they may not be running anymore of them. I know there's a few of us from the course that are hoping to keep it up, so you're more than welcome to come and join us.

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012 »

That would be great, I know how to belay but I'm a beginner when it comes to climbing.. :(

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012 »

from tollymore's facebook site

Tollymore National Outdoor Centre
Fancy getting out on the mountains with like minded females - well watch this space for more info on our 'Women Only Rockclimbing' coming up on Sat, 12 May. This course will be the same as our 'Go Rockclimbing' course but with all females!! So leave the husbands, partners at home and have some 'me' time with your friends or make a few new ones! http://www.tollymore.com/Courses/Mountaineering/Mountaineering/RockClimbing/Go+Rock+Climbing

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012 »

Ozone will lend a harness for free, but you need your own locking carabiner and belay plate.
You need to fill out a form to register with the centre - there is Boost membership plans or you can just get your card for free and pay each visit (you must bring the card each time!).
You also need to fill out another form to say you know how to belay and top-rope etc and will abide by the rules.

It's a good wall. Good bouldering section and a variety of climbs. Bit limited to start but once you get a feel for it there are lots of good challenges. Reminds me I haven't been since January... will be crap when I go back  :(
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012 »

Tollymore National Outdoor Centre
Fancy getting out on the mountains with like minded females - well watch this space for more info on our 'Women Only Rockclimbing' coming up on Sat, 12 May. This course will be the same as our 'Go Rockclimbing' course but with all females!! So leave the husbands, partners at home and have some 'me' time with your friends or make a few new ones! http://www.tollymore.com/Courses/Mountaineering/Mountaineering/RockClimbing/Go+Rock+Climbing

I think Tollymore are getting a little carried away with their 'women only' things. I know that personally I am doing one of their 'women only' courses cause it was a 6 week climbing course with all gear and instruction for £30, not cause there were no men! While I'm all for things like the Women with Altitude weekend for encouraging women, there has to be a point where enough is enough. Maybe it's time for a 'men's only' course! Or radically, a course with men and women!!

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012 »

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully will get there next week to try it out for myself.

RockandRideOutdoors

• Newbie Poster
    • Rock & Ride Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012 »

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know Rock & Ride Outdoors will be running evening Rock Climbing sessions every wednesday evening in the Mournes starting on 18th April. The sessions start at 6:30 pm and go on until it is dark.  Each session is £20 but we will give you a reduced rate if you book a block!

For more info on what you get out of the evening check out our this http://www.rockandrideoutdoors.com/index.php/evening-climbing-sessions.html and our blog,  http://rockandrideoutdoors.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/evening-rock-climbing-sessions-starting.html.

Cheers

Team R&R
Ireland's leading outdoor company offering Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking & Mountaineering.
E: info@rockandrideoutdoors.com
W: www.rockandrideoutdoors.com
F: www.facebook.com/rockandrideoutdoors

Like us on facebook!

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012 »

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know Rock & Ride Outdoors will be running evening Rock Climbing sessions every wednesday evening in the Mournes starting on 18th April. The sessions start at 6:30 pm and go on until it is dark.  Each session is £20 but we will give you a reduced rate if you book a block!

For more info on what you get out of the evening check out our this http://www.rockandrideoutdoors.com/index.php/evening-climbing-sessions.html and our blog,  http://rockandrideoutdoors.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/evening-rock-climbing-sessions-starting.html.

Cheers

Team R&R

Are ye only doing the Wednesday evenings or are you doing it on Tuesday too?

RockandRideOutdoors

• Newbie Poster
    • Rock & Ride Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012 »

Hi Samm,

At the minute we are just going to run with Wednesday, but if we get the interest we would run Tuesday evenings as well.

We can also arrange bespoke instructing days as well.

Cheers
Ireland's leading outdoor company offering Rock Climbing, Mountain Biking & Mountaineering.
E: info@rockandrideoutdoors.com
W: www.rockandrideoutdoors.com
F: www.facebook.com/rockandrideoutdoors

Like us on facebook!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012 »

wednesdays don't suit me  :(  can we get enough interest for a ni-wild tuesday, maybe a session on hen mountain followed by a campover  :)

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012 »

Tuesday's are good for me!

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012 »

Well, made it to the Ozone this afternoon and have to say, was a bit disappointed.  The majority of routes had no ropes, with no spare rope about the place and no way of putting it up.  Being beginners we were trying to stick to the easy wall, but with only one rope for that whole section we were limited in what we could do.  Of course that resulted in me doing something stupid and climbing the adjacent route, so when I fell near the top I then swung wildly and smashed myself into the wall.  I'll no doubt hurt in the morning!  It's definitely a place with potential, but don't know that it's overly suited to two beginners.  Might just have to cash out for a cheap PEC membership so we can use their wall instead.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]