Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: GoPro Hero 4  (Read 8542 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
GoPro Hero 4
« on: October 08, 2014 »

I see GoPro has released a new version of their sports camera, the Hero 4+. I got the 3+ a few weeks ago and have been very impressed. Anyone know much about the new model?

I'd expect prices of the 3+ to drop now, I can defo recommend picking one up if you like a bit of outdoor activity filming.

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
Re: GoPro Hero 4
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014 »

You'll have to get some footage uploaded J so we can have a gander at it. I really like the new entry level version at an affordable £99:

http://goo.gl/gJXV8o

Also Polaroid have recently released an action cam as well at the same price, looks interesting:

http://goo.gl/DL35Vd

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014 »

£99 is very affordable. I wonder where the tradeoff is in price. I've hardly used mine, alas, too much time on the sofa and not enough outside :(

You'll have to get some footage uploaded J so we can have a gander at it. I really like the new entry level version at an affordable £99:

http://goo.gl/gJXV8o

Also Polaroid have recently released an action cam as well at the same price, looks interesting:

http://goo.gl/DL35Vd

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014 »

It lacks a few features, no HDMI and no Wifi (so no phone app control) and not as many resolution modes.
There's a review of the three different models here: http://goo.gl/b44Qxg

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014 »

I'm thinking of picking up a Rollei S5 wifi for around £100 for my travels. Seems to have good 1080 frame rate and lots of accessories come with it inc. remote control and wifi phone app control. Things that are swaying me away from the cheap GoPro is you can't replace the battery, and the camera is fixed in the case, so if you scratch the lens it's a bit ruined....i'm sure it could be bodged out and into a new case but doesn't seem worth the hassle when there's other options.

The quality from the high end GoPros is outstanding, but I'll not be needing it. Had bought a small waterproof camera, but the video function is appalling...I'll settle for reasonable over pro.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014 »

I'm thinking of picking up a Rollei S5 wifi for around £100 for my travels. Seems to have good 1080 frame rate and lots of accessories come with it inc. remote control and wifi phone app control. Things that are swaying me away from the cheap GoPro is you can't replace the battery, and the camera is fixed in the case, so if you scratch the lens it's a bit ruined....i'm sure it could be bodged out and into a new case but doesn't seem worth the hassle when there's other options.

The quality from the high end GoPros is outstanding, but I'll not be needing it. Had bought a small waterproof camera, but the video function is appalling...I'll settle for reasonable over pro.

Have a look at the SJ4000 it is basically a GoPro clone, with a few less features. wifi is almost always limited as you have to remember the chances of being able to record and stream at once are slim with anything short of professional gear. I got an SJ400 from Banggood for just under £62, that including a stack load of mount and a spare battery. Still waiting on a new class 10 card but once I have it I'll get out for a run and throw up a quick review on here.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014 »

Cheers Rich, may be an option.
Craig
-----------------------

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014 »

I agree with you completely Twenty, even at £100 the 'cheap' GoPro offers fairly little for the money. I posted it up so others could have a look and see what they think. Personally, i'm not a fan of any of the 'action' cams, it's just another unnecessary gadget to bring out into the hills that after a few uses, gets put in a drawer and never looked at again. I'll stick with my camera phone (as i always carry it with me) until the third iteration of the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom comes out: http://goo.gl/xKJkUo. It seems to offer everything i'm looking for as an all-in-one device and as you're a man who knows his optics, how would you rate the lens on it?

Things that are swaying me away from the cheap GoPro is you can't replace the battery, and the camera is fixed in the case, so if you scratch the lens it's a bit ruined....i'm sure it could be bodged out and into a new case but doesn't seem worth the hassle when there's other options.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014 »

There's no real info on the optics but a true optical zoom and larger sensor compared to a regular camera phone would certainly be on parr with a dedicated compact, but still inferior to a micro 4/3 or SLR sensor obviously. It would definitely suit as an all-in-one device... as I have to admit the photos and video I have seen from newer iPhones are impressive enough, so it is possible for a phone to produce acceptable results for personal use.

My phone lives in a waterproof pouch and never comes out in bad conditions...which are often what I want to record: The Panasonic FT25 I got takes a bit of work for a decent shot, but is acceptable for the money and doesn't need looking after. The big MP count is ridiculous in all these small sensors but we're stuck with it...wish it just had 5M bigger better pixels. The video is worse than CCTV for some reason.
Regarding an action (video) camera...I dislike how much memory video uses, and having to edit it...so that is what makes me hesitate over getting one even if I can justify it by activities or conditions. I think unless I had a project in mind, it would either be forgotten as you say in a drawer, or I'd be recording things for the sake of it and forgetting them on a hard-drive instead. I certainly like watching good videos produced with them...they have a place....

I agree with you completely Twenty, even at £100 the 'cheap' GoPro offers fairly little for the money. I posted it up so others could have a look and see what they think. Personally, i'm not a fan of any of the 'action' cams, it's just another unnecessary gadget to bring out into the hills that after a few uses, gets put in a drawer and never looked at again. I'll stick with my camera phone (as i always carry it with me) until the third iteration of the Samsung Galaxy K Zoom comes out: http://goo.gl/xKJkUo. It seems to offer everything i'm looking for as an all-in-one device and as you're a man who knows his optics, how would you rate the lens on it?
Craig
-----------------------

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014 »

The Panasonic FT25 I got takes a bit of work for a decent shot, but is acceptable for the money and doesn't need looking after. The big MP count is ridiculous in all these small sensors but we're stuck with it...wish it just had 5M bigger better pixels. The video is worse than CCTV for some reason.

I use the same camera, I was very happy with the pictures until I got a much more expensive camera, but its still a very good robust camera for the hills (I haven't broken it yet!). I also found the video to be poor on it, but video isn't something I really bother with much, like yourself, too much editting and memory space. However it is particularly good at photographing lightning  :) .
think outside, no box required

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014 »

Cheers Craig, i'm impressed most by the 10X optical zoom, it's by far the stand-out feature, especially for a phone and the image quality seems just as comparable to any other phone camera. It'll suffice for my needs and cuts down on the amount of extra gadgets to lug about.

The file sizes for 1080p video can get over whelming especially when it comes to editing. We hiked the Ring of Gullion a few weeks back over three days and I accumulated nearly 100 short video clips. I upload them to Youtube and run the image stabilisation filter and then download them again. The reason is two-fold, it stabilises the video but also converts it to mp4 which results in much smaller file sizes and makes it a lot easier and quicker to edit.

There's no real info on the optics but a true optical zoom and larger sensor compared to a regular camera phone would certainly be on parr with a dedicated compact, but still inferior to a micro 4/3 or SLR sensor obviously. It would definitely suit as an all-in-one device... as I have to admit the photos and video I have seen from newer iPhones are impressive enough, so it is possible for a phone to produce acceptable results for personal use.

My phone lives in a waterproof pouch and never comes out in bad conditions...which are often what I want to record: The Panasonic FT25 I got takes a bit of work for a decent shot, but is acceptable for the money and doesn't need looking after. The big MP count is ridiculous in all these small sensors but we're stuck with it...wish it just had 5M bigger better pixels. The video is worse than CCTV for some reason.
Regarding an action (video) camera...I dislike how much memory video uses, and having to edit it...so that is what makes me hesitate over getting one even if I can justify it by activities or conditions. I think unless I had a project in mind, it would either be forgotten as you say in a drawer, or I'd be recording things for the sake of it and forgetting them on a hard-drive instead. I certainly like watching good videos produced with them...they have a place....

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014 »

Oh, good tip Yak!

I'll keep my eye out for some lightning Liam, you do have some good shots of it  8)
Craig
-----------------------

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]