Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: DSLR advice.  (Read 19566 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
DSLR advice.
« on: February 18, 2018 »

This is one I've been mulling over for sometime and have decided to take the plunge and buy myself a dslr. Now I'm a total beginner only ever having used small compacts but I'd love to be able to take better photos and it's something I'd like to get into more. I'm going to be going second hand as these are costly pieces of kit and I don't want to go nuts on my first foray into this so if anyone has any info, recommendations, things to look out for when buying second hand or if anyone is looking to maybe sell of some of their older gear I could possibly offer you a bad price for it  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Glenn
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: DSLR advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018 »

I bought a Nikon D300 a few years back. Wasn't expensive as cameras go, probably around £300 or so and it's very much the bottom end of DSLRs. I was really impressed with how much better a picture you could get out of a larger camera that comes with a much bigger lens than there would be on a standard compact. I did think I got better pictures but it's important to take the time to learn how to take a good photo - understanding aperture vs shutter speed and stuff like focal length and depth of field plus taking manual photos.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018 »

it's important to take the time to learn how to take a good photo - understanding aperture vs shutter speed and stuff like focal length and depth of field plus taking manual photos.

WHAT YOU TALKIN ABOUT WILLIS........ :D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018 »

I suppose I may have mistakenly given the impression that I understood all that  ;D I understand the basics but tbh that's enough to get out and snapping pics with a bit more thought than you might be able to get with a compact. That said, you can get amazing pictures out of a quality compact - Dowser has one that takes incredible pics for its size but it was out of my price range, certainly to be monkeying around the mountains in the wet with.

it's important to take the time to learn how to take a good photo - understanding aperture vs shutter speed and stuff like focal length and depth of field plus taking manual photos.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018 »

I suppose I may have mistakenly given the impression that I understood all that  ;D I understand the basics but tbh that's enough to get out and snapping pics with a bit more thought than you might be able to get with a compact. That said, you can get amazing pictures out of a quality compact - Dowser has one that takes incredible pics for its size but it was out of my price range, certainly to be monkeying around the mountains in the wet with.

I know what you mean, I've been reading up a bit and there's a lot to take in  ???

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018 »

I found it all quite interesting and it was complex at first but when I was actually taking some photos and messing with the settings it did become much easier to understand.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018 »

Right so I took the plunge and went for a new Nikon D3400 and have to say having taken a few shots of the dog I'm already impressed and with snow on the horizon I'm hoping to get a few nice wintery pics over the coming days  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018 »

Good call. I have the D3000 and have always been impressed with it. Yours looks remarkably similar but no doubt with 5 years of improvements  8)

Right so I took the plunge and went for a new Nikon D3400 and have to say having taken a few shots of the dog I'm already impressed and with snow on the horizon I'm hoping to get a few nice wintery pics over the coming days  ;D

smartin

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018 »

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera by Bryan Peterson by far may favourite book on learning photography and I have a few lol. I have a Nikon D3300 welcome to the club!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018 by smartin »

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]