Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DSLR or Bridge camera?  (Read 28002 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: DSLR or Bridge camera?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014 »

will do

think outside, no box required

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014 »

Starting to wobble now, looking at compacts again  :o  the Lumix TZ35 at £130 is amazing value, has a CMOS sensor and 20x zoom, tempting and less than half my budget (although I have vouchers to use up so gonna blow the whole budget  ;D )

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/digital-cameras/compact-digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz35-advanced-compact-digital-camera-black-21312106-pdt.html

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014 »

Go Bridge!!!!!!

My Lumix LX5 is the most verstile camera I have ever used and the image, and video, quality is really really excellent.  I have used it now for 3 years and can honestly say I have had no need for either of my Nikon DSLR cameras.  I wouldn't dream of taking them up the mountains, or even on holiday, now.

Without doing any research I'm pretty sure the LX5 will have been updated since I got it so you can either get a cheap one or go for the upgrade with the new technology.

One of my biggest issues with compacts was the delay from triggering the shutter and when it actually took the photo.  This is not an issue with the LX5 as it fires immediately, like a DSLR.  It's also got a great lens.  In layman's terms... Its a proper glass lens and fully adjustable real life aperture.  It's also extremely easy to use and I have never had it on full auto.

If you want a play just give me a shout and I'll talk you through the features.
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014 »

LX7 is the new model at approx £300, it has the better MOS sensor than the CCD of the LX5 so quite an improvement, although i just can't quite get away from the idea that I actually want a bulky camera to encourage me to take my time and get the really good shots and have days out just for photography, always feel a bit stupid with my wee compact on top of a big tripod  ;D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014 »

That's a good price. I thought the LX5/7 was in the >£500 range?

LX7 is the new model at approx £300, it has the better MOS sensor than the CCD of the LX5 so quite an improvement, although i just can't quite get away from the idea that I actually want a bulky camera to encourage me to take my time and get the really good shots and have days out just for photography, always feel a bit stupid with my wee compact on top of a big tripod  ;D

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014 »

As I said previously, a bridge is very handy and versatile when out and about for most people. There is a thread on here somewhere of mine from Rathlin Island, I had with me that day my D7000, a 10-20 wide angle lens, a 17-70 lens and a 150-500 for the wildlife. Total value new about £2200 and weighing almost 7kg. My brother had a Panasonic bridge,  not sure of the model, and got most of the same shots as me. If I had the money spare I would probably buy a decent bridge myself. I carried my 2kg camera and lens the day I walked the mourne wall, imagine how much quicker I would have been with a nice wee bridge ;D

phil_b

• Sr. Poster

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014 »

I really think you should have a play with a proper bridge camera before you buy anything.  I have a Nikon D700 (with 35-80mm lens & 80-200mm  lens) and and the LX5, both a bit dated now, but if you want to take both away to experiment for a couple of days your more than welcome.

I'd be suggesting that you will get better pictures from the LX5 than you will from the Nikon DSLR and you wont look like a tourist everywhere you go.  I was even able to sneaky a few pictures in Krakow last week in a museum where you weren't allowed to take photos  ::)

PS... There's absolutely nothing wrong with sticking your bridge camera onto a tripod  ;)
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014 »

Cheers Andy, might have a play, although already having seen your LX5 in action beside my FS10 at Ben Crom i was very impressed with the difference.

Now heres another cunning plan, spotted the Panasonic G3 (compact system camera) in Argos at £200, so that and the TZ35 would cost £330 in total  ;D  coindentally I met a guy last night in Belfast using a G3 and it came highly recommended and he seemed to know his stuff. But no, I must not buy 2 cameras, tried a g5 in my hands today and it feklt very very snug.

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014 »

remember the CSC cameras are another multi lens system, a lot of the G3's seem to come with the 14-42 lens which is a wide and short focal length, you could soon fall into the downward spiral of buying more lenses for wildlife etc.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014 »

Thats the idea of the TZ35 with its 20x zoom  ;)  I'm going to try and hold off another week, Argos have  new catalogue coming out so may see some price drops, Panasonic have launced a few new cameras, that may also force some price dropping, but there are no newer model of the ones i'm interested in so maybe those prices will stay level  ???

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014 »

Couple of things to think about with the G3 is the Battery Life, which is meant to be quite poor, and there is no external mic for video. 

A spare battery will solve one of the issues but I'm not sure I could live without a mic  :-\
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014 »

So here's the first spanner in the works: walked into Tesco to grab a sandwich for lunch just as they were filling the sale basket and came out £100 lighter  :o  included in my hoard was 3 digital cameras, a 16gb card, webcam, optical mouse and loads of other pruck. But the best bargain was the Panasonic TZ18 for only £30  :)  (there were a few better cameras for around same money but i missed them) the TZ18 only has a CCD sensor so i'm not expecting miracles from it, but it now means I have a half decent wee camera for the hills and can maybe now go for the bulky dslr  ;)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014 »

so out i popped out to test the night mode this evening

View of mournes from my house with 60 second exposure, not bad, could probably get this with my old camera.

Orion, again using 60 sec exposure

Now this is what I could never do before. The TZ18 has shutter priority so I did a lot of trial and error, this is on full zoom and about 1/500th sec shutter speed, quite pleased with the result  :)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014 by LandyLiam »

ARB1000

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014 »

I have to Panasonic DMC FZ150 which is very good if only id take the time to learn how to use it.  Thought phil_b would have gave me a photography masterclass but it hasn't happened as yet. 
The above camera is very good for all but the professional users with 3in articulated screen which is very good for video and protecting the screen.  12mp sensor, 24x zoom (Nikon does one at 36x optical zoom) and 1080p recording.  External microphone or flash can be attached and RAW mode at 0.9 seconds between shots.  Focal Range between 25mm and 600mm in 35mm terms.
12fps and 5.5fps while updating autofocus.  Have owned this since its release and am more than happy with it but there is a TZ in Panasonic I think which I looked at at the time which is a compact camera but nearly all of the above features but half the size and will fit in a pocket however as someone above said, it would look a bit silly on top of a tripod.

While I was typing this I see a camera was bought so I guess all the above is irrelevant!!!!  However if anyone wants a review of a 2014 15in Macbook Pro Retina, 2.3Ghz quad-core i7,  I'm yer man!! 
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]