Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: hammocks  (Read 8410 times)

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
hammocks
« on: March 26, 2016 »

Could I ask you guys to review hammocks you own, many thank Dave
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
Re: hammocks
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016 »

Hey Dave

I've a DD set up - the Frontline with the 3*3 tarp, snake skin, whoopies and tree huggers. 

Let's start with the good.  The complete suspension system DD sell I think is excellent.  Its quick to set up, no fiddly knots when your cold and tired, the karabiners are a natural rain break and the whoopies allow handy hammock placement as you have a really simple range adjustment system on board. 

The DD tarp is a bit bulky and a bit heavy.  I recently swapped it with an Alpkit Rig.  Same size, much smaller, same rigging points. 

The hammock itself you cannot really fault.  Its comfy, the netting is good for keeping the midges out and the double skin allows you to easily slip a rollmat in between the layers to keep the cool out and keep the comfort up.  If you have never slept in a hammock before can I advise you borrow one first and try before you buy.  It is different. 

I don't currently own an underquilt.  On a cold night, it is unsurprisingly, even in a good sleeping bag, cold. 

Overall I'd definitely recommend their hanging system.  For the price I also think you get a reasonable hammock (though I would say the prices have gone up since I got mine).  I wouldn't recommend their tarp

Top of the range (not from my own experience) is Hennessy Hammocks.  I also managed to pick up a Tenth Wonder hammock (I think off here) but have never used it in anger yet.

Happy hammocking
Do not feed the bear

hud

• Top Poster
  • Do not feed the bear
Do not feed the bear

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: hammocks
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016 »

I have both DD and Tenth Wonder hammocks and they're both spot on. The TW hammock is a probably a bit better in that it has a specifically cut tarp designed for the best cover. Beyond that they're both very similar and both have midge nets sewn in and can take a sleep mat below in a pouch. That said, the DD is much older than the TW so DD may have had improvements since.

You thinking of getting one, I'd be well up for a hammock camp  8)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]