Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Survival Knife in NI  (Read 2965 times)

mrdosu

• Newbie Poster
Survival Knife in NI
« on: October 27, 2014 »

Hey guys,

I'm going on a trekking trip through beautiful NI an was wondering how I should go about my 5" fixed blade batoning knife. I will have to carry everything I own with me because I intend in tenting along the way mostly, but would also like to stop in a pub.

I know in my country I can do it when I carry the knife inside my bag in a container that i can lock with a padlock. Will that be sufficient or will that not be possible?

Thanks for the info!

Sebastian
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single commission voting to convene a committee to draw up guidelines.

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Survival Knife in NI
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014 »

Same rules as the rest of the UK in that unless you can provide good reason for it, that blade will be deemed as an illegal dangerous weapon. The problem comes down to the definition of "good reason". Sadly you have to accept that a majority of the population (including serving police officers) are from a town/city background with little or no real interest in the outdoors, many of which will have been sucking down all the media hype on tv about loonies with swords and the like preying on any unsuspecting victim. This means many folks will end up at least giving you some odd looks if not outright accusing you of being the next Micheal Myers.

Having said all that though if your usual practice is to have it inside your pack at all times when traveling then I can see no real problem. Your methods of securing the blade are more than most folks would do when buying a kitchen knife so you should have no problems there, so just be a little careful on where you use it and who might see you. Only takes one idiot without a clue to report you and your trip is ruined.

mrdosu

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014 »

Thanks that's very useful info.

Hows the general attitude in NI about laws like that? In Germany we have very strict rules, but its mostly to keep douchebags in check and its more a live and let live kind of thing. If you behave respectful towards others and the environment it is tolerated, but of you step out of line there always something to keep you in check. Or is it more literal?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single commission voting to convene a committee to draw up guidelines.

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014 »

If it is in your pack, you are unlikely to be bothered, you'll not be stopped and searched just in case you may be carrying a knife.

Use it discreetly and keep it tucked away when not using it and you should be fine. Keeping it secured when not in use might help if it is noticed and remarked upon, and may strengthen your "just cause/use" argument should the police ask you about it, especially if you are obviously hiking/camping.

Out in the countryside, you're less likely to have issues in any case than in cities and towns, and you'll be here to see the countryside, right?  ;D

Stefan

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014 »

Looks to me that you are taking all the right precautions. Good luck with the trip & keep us all posted on your progress.
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]