Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DSLR or Bridge camera?  (Read 28176 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: DSLR or Bridge camera?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014 »

I had considered the upgraded FZ200 model but its a bit out of my price range (unless a sale occurs soon), its has f2.8 along its full zoom range, i'm not entirely sure what that means but they say its good, more light i assume.

While I was typing this I see a camera was bought so I guess all the above is irrelevant!!!!

oh no, all info is useful, the way things are going I may end up with more cameras than tents  :o last count was 13 tents, currently have 7 cameras  8)
think outside, no box required

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014 »

Was visiting a friend last night and they dug out an old Nikon D50 dslr they don't use much these days so borrowed it to try for a few days. Its certainley heavy and bulky, but there's something nice about that. Played about with some indoor shots and very impressed with the quality, and this is a 6mp model about 8 years old. Then I hunted around the attic and found my old slr, wow that brought back memories of changing the film and running off to the chemist to get it processed.

My old Konica TCX shot with a Nikon D90

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014 »

the rain finally went this evening and i was rewarded with a beautiful starry sky so it was time to test out the dlsr on a long exposure, and boy was i impressed!

this is the dslr on an 8 sec exposure (so much brighter than my compact on 60 sec), couldn't believe how bright it was! just have some work to do on the settings though, for some reason it wouldn't take a picture on autofocus so had to switch that off, flash also insisted on coming on too, can't seem to switch it off on shutter priority.

this is the compact  TZ18 on 60 second exposure

so a bigger sensor makes a massive difference in night photography, i think its going to have to be a dlsr for me!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014 by LandyLiam »

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014 »

The camera will struggle to autofocus in the dark, as you say use manual focus or shine a torch on an object like that tree in the foreground so it can " see " it and focus on that.
The flash should not pop upon its own, check through the settings.
What iso settings were you using? A higher iso will gather more light even with a shorter shutter time and that could be the difference in your 2 cameras. Always use the lowest iso possible to cut down on noise.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014 »

I was on the lowest ISO, (6400 I think). I can't seen to turn the flast off in shutter priority, the off option changes to "rear" I ended up just putting my hand over the flash.

I was in an airport yesterday with an hour to spare brfore my flight so had a good play with the cameras in Dixons, all had charged batteries so tested quite a few out, the Nikon 3100 bears little resemblance to the old D50 i've been playing with. I didn't find the menu simple to use, however the Panasonic G5 csc was lovely, easy menu to use as i'm familiar with Panasonics, and it can do a lot in in camera processing after the shot is taken.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014 by LandyLiam »

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014 »

6400 is the highest ISO, 100 is the lowest on mine. If I'm using a tripod for landscape stuff it is f11, ISO 100 and then whatever shutter speed is necessary for proper exposure. Hand held I might have to push the ISO up to 500 or more to get at least 1\60th shutter speed to stop camera shake.
Is it a pop up flash on the d50? Mind won't pop up unless I press the button for it, yours might be different.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014 »

Yes Phil its a pop up one.

Well i've had the D50 for over 2 months now and despite producing better photos I find I rarely ever take it out due to its bulk! so with that in mind I'm pretty confident I'll be getting the LX7 which is currently £245 so leaves me a few pounds to get a nice case and big memory card for it  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]