Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Tips & advice for Kilimanjaro  (Read 13533 times)

seanbranagh

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
Tips & advice for Kilimanjaro
« on: April 26, 2014 »

Hi Guys,
I am fairly new to the forum but I am looking for anyone who may have already climbed Kilimanjaro, any tips, small things that might be worth knowing that I may not otherwise think about.
I am taking the Lemosho route up there in October.

My first question is about a day backpack.
I have a cheap Regatta backpack that has done me well for years all over UK and Ireland and in the Mournes every week but it is a bit worse for wear now and I need something better for Kilimanjaro.
The problem is that when I look online there is just way too much choice.

What I am looking for;
30 litre capacity.
A built in water bladder or pouch for a water bladder (At least 2 litres)
A built in cover that comes right down over all zips to keep rain out of the zips as I find the separate covers a total pain, especially in windy conditions.
Some of that bungee mesh you sometimes get on the back for attaching things; I have a small solar panel for charging camera, phone etc. to attach to the bag.
Hardwearing obviously.

I want to get something pretty good but at the same time the trip is expensive enough already so I definitely want to spend under about £80 if possible.

Has anyone got any recommendations or good online places to look?

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
Re: Tips & advice for Kilimanjaro
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014 »

That's a challenge and a half you've set yourself Sean, good luck with it. For a daypack I'd recommend Alpkits Gourdon range: http://goo.gl/rVWpMp

I have the Gourdon 20 (which is sold out unfortunately), it's essentially a drybag, so no need for a rain cover with straps, side pockets and bungee cord. It has a separate space for a water bladder and the padded back comes out so it can be used to sit on. It's a great bit of kit and it won't break the bank, hope that helps.

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014 »

Hello Sean

Made the summit of Kili in July 2012 using the Marangu route.  5 days in total, 3 up and 2 down.  I can only give you my experience/advice of this particular route. 

Firstly our trekking guides Sauma and Francis were fantastic. (Sauma is the only female guide on the mountain and I think it was her 91st time summiting Kili when we went) Their experience and charisma were contributing factors of our team's success.  I am proud to say that we were the only team(14) out of 8 UK groups that managed to get the entire team to the summit. 

My advice on exped would be drink at least 3-4 litres of water per day not counting all the soup you'll get fed.  When going up listen to your guides particularly on summit day and they constantly tell you to slow down (Pole-Pole) to a ridiculous zombie speeded shuffle when nearing the top.  You WILL be gasping just accept it and push on.  Diarrhea/Vomiting was a real issue on summit day with some people in our team so have a packet of baby wipes handy. (WARNING: DO NOT MIX anti-bacterial wipes with baby ones, its a completely different sensation.....trust me!  :o )  I would tend to have few baby wipes on hand on exped 24/7.  Brilliant invention. Anyway....

Take it really slow on nearing the top and make sure you discipline yourself to keep drinking at regular intervals even if you don't want to.

If you are aiming to summit for the sunrise and are starting at midnight I would definitely invest in really good gloves or maybe mitts and gloves, the assent at night is very very cold, minus god knows what!.  Turn your water bottles in your daysack upside down so they will freeze from the bottom to the top. If you can, place a water bottle inside your jacket so your body heat will help to stop it from freezing.  A good hat and socks (I honestly thought Id lost my little toe to frost bite) also recommended.  Thermals too. I don't particularly like using walking sticks but they were also welcomed on this trek.

We did see at least half a dozen stretchers being raced down as we were going up.  All with altitude sickness I assume.  A few local porters were among that number. I learnt that if they don't summit they don't get paid so they will push themselves whilst their carrying all the kit for the team plus all the teams main rucksacks plus all their own kit (no pack animals) and alas some come down with altitude sickness which is a good reason to give these fellas a decent tip at the end!!!

Do bring extra cash for tipping as it is expected. Prob around $50 total split between your guides and maybe the geezer who humps your rucksack as well as his own up and possibly the cook if you get decent meals.  Bring another extra bundle of cash for all the bloody street urchins trying to make a few dollars selling you Pole-Pole bracelets and Tanzania football jerseys. You WILL end up with 5 or 6 bracelets dangling from both wrists! LOL

The Honey Badger is compound 2 Km from Moshi.  We found that it was a great place to camp at with decent pool, bar with Maasai warrior security, it was away from the hussle and bussle of the town which suited our group.  The food was pretty basic at the Honey Badger and you definitely did not get the white man sized portion. Litre bottles of the Kilimanjaro beer at the bar were the business thou and cheap. There are hostels, really good eating places in Moshi but our trip was done on the cheap and so we camped.

Bartering is welcomed when shopping. I tend to half whatever people are asking for and work up from there when not buying trinkets at a dollar a time.  Some very nice artwork that you can roll up and frame when you get home or a genuine ( tartan ??? ) massai cloak make very good souvenirs.  A Safari is great if you get a chance but 1 day enough, very cool but not as cool as waking up to clouds a Km below you stretching out infinitely into the distance nearing the top of Kili.  That is the most memorable image of Africa.

Sean you should have an absolute ball mate. Do us a favour and post a recent pic of those rolling clouds when you get a chance because I aint rushing back up anytime soon to take one!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014 by Kilimanjaro »
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

© D H Lawrence. All rights reserved

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014 »

A few pics of route nearing the summit to wet your appetite.... ;)
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014 »

Thank you specimanYak for the pointers on the backpack; I will definitely be looking into that.

Thank you Kilimanjaro for your tips and pointers. You have definitely both scared me and excited me! Lol

I am shocked at your 3 day ascent! That must have been incredibly tough regarding altitude?
I am taking a rather leisurely pace on an 8 day ascent mainly to minimize any chance of altitude relating to failure but also because I want to enjoy the experience for as long as possible.

Did you have anything with you from your doctor?
I have read that there are some prescription drugs for altitude sickness etc. and it is recommended that you speak to your doctor beforehand to get some to bring along.

Regarding Moshi, I am doing the trip with Explore (explore.co.uk) so all of that bit is already organised for me. Can’t remember where we are staying, will need to check the paperwork.

I have done a few interesting things to date, helicopter trips into volcanoes, storm chasing in the US Mid-West among others but I am really hoping that Kilimanjaro will be the best experience yet (if it doesn't kill me! Lol)

Yes, I will definitely share some photos. I am thinking of a small video diary also.

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
Tips & advice for Kilimanjaro
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014 »

Strangely altitude didn't hit any of us until summit day. I felt ok until I hit about 5000m then got a bit of tunnel vision, feeling sick while gasping like a fish out of water.

Diomox is the drug that helps with altitude sickness prevention but definitely consult doctor.
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014 »

Yeah, I will definitely be speaking to my doctor closer to the time. I think you need some injections for Tanzania also anyway?

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014 »

Hep A & B, Typhoid, Rabies, Yellow Fever possibly if your travelling to Tanzania from Kenya. Tablets for Malaria. Prob going to cost you a few quid for these.  I think Rabies is £100!

As above consult your Doctor.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014 by Kilimanjaro »
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014 »

I finally settled on a new daypack for the trip and ordered it today.
The The North Face Base Camp Hot Shot.
I read very good reviews about how water resistant it is without an additional cover and I also found it on offer for £47  :)

Kilimanjaro

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014 »

Have you been on your adventure yet?
Self Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014 »

No, not yet. I head on of on October 15th.
I am currently in the process of getting jabbed with lots of needles and buying the last of the various bits and pieces I need.

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014 »

I summited on Thursday morning 6.15am and was home on Sunday afternoon.

The trip went pretty much as expected. I did suffer from altitude; headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath etc. but thankfully my digestive system caused no issues.
I did have a lot of nosebleeds tough which were really annoying, especially on summit night.

I have to say, I was prepared for everything except the sheer exhaustion on summit night. That was tough! By far the toughest thing I have ever done!
Our guides were pushing us really hard on the way to Stella Point. I think a little too hard to be honest as some of us were actually collapsing with exhaustion.
All 11 in the group did get to the summit though so it was a success story overall and what an amazing experience that was.
The sun just started coming up as we left Stella Point for Uhuru Peak and it was truly epic!!

I have almost 5 hours of GoPro footage that I am going to edit down but in the meantime I have some short clips uploaded to Facebook.
All available in HD;

Shortly after Stella Point;
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=4659101132807

Between Stella Point and Uhuru Peak;
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=4657174724648

Arriving at Uhuru Peak;
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=4659118573243

I also have a photo album on Facebook which I am currently adding all the photos to;
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4655735208661.1073741835.1751767728&type=1&l=d730b3c7b3

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014 »

Excellent photos and footage Sean, thanks for sharing and what an experience the whole trip must of been.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]