Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Best value 2man for starting out  (Read 6049 times)

Dannyboy

• Newbie Poster
Best value 2man for starting out
« on: July 02, 2015 »

Hi guys ive been looking at loads of tents but if im being honest i dont really know what im looking for other than a 2 man lol i plan to camp as often as i can (not just dry weather) and would appreciate any recommendations. I understand it makes sense to buy the best you can afford but is there anything resonably priced which does a good job?  ;D ;D ;D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Best value 2man for starting out
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015 »

Depends on whether you're super weight conscious and what your budget it. You don't want to go too cheap in case you end up with something unreliable. If you're on a budget I think Vango do a good lower price tent. Specifically the Vango Banshee 200 and Vango Tempest 200 are popular, not too weighty and reasonably priced.

Lighter tents tend to save weight by cutting space, sometimes a 3 man tent is really only comfortable for 2 and with 3 everyone needs to be pretty friendly :) Also, lighter tents tend to do away with any sort of porch which is a major consideration.

The only thing I would add is don't go with a single skin because of the attractive weight, I've never seen one that didn't end up damp inside from condensation on all weathers.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015 »

Have a look here for some reviews http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4128.15

Personally i'd say got for a cheap but decent make like Gelert, after a few nights out in it you'll know what you really want (more room, bigger porch, less weight) then you can really splash out. Of course you could be like me and have a tent for every occassion (currently 14 I think!), most bought in massive sales or second hand (plenty on Gumtree), that reminds me, i'm camping next week, now which tent will I use  ???
think outside, no box required

Dannyboy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015 »

cheers Red really like the look of the banshee 200  ;D and its within my budget so its a bonus. the wife was looking me to get something massive but i reckon the odds of the whole family going are very slim lol so a 2 man will be ideal to start with haha
14 tents liam !!!! impressive lol im very indecisive though id never choose one  :P thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015 »

if you are considering a Banshee don't discount the 300.  2 doors, more space and it's still little weight between two.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015 »

This is what I did. The 2 man is probably a bit tight unless it's for marathons or suchlike. The 3 man is good for 2 with a bit of wriggling around room and you can just squeeze a smaller ruck or two between the inner and outer at the door. Worth mentioning it doesn't have a massive amount of headroom but that's never bothered me. Also, I think the Banshee has been updated to have a door on either side rather than just on one side.

if you are considering a Banshee don't discount the 300.  2 doors, more space and it's still little weight between two.

lomick1

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015 »

A great little tent you should check out is the coleman avior 2,the man man one, its light weight easy to put up and take down ,not expensive ,has two doors ,vents and a good size porch for storage and cooking in bad weather i have been in some strong winds and extremly heavy rain and its had no problem with either it packs down nice and small and is extremly quick to erect all in all a great  we tent

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015 »

Just to weigh in on this one the Vango Sabre 200 is worth looking at too. It is essentially a Banshee 200 with some tiny changes so that they could offer an exclusive deal with Amazon or some lark. The tent is a 3 pole design rather than 2 pole, this does mean you get a tent which is fairly hefty (2.9kg). But you also get a more uniform shape and extra space inside, you have the ability to unzip two flaps at the foot and head end of the inner flysheet, this gives you both somewhere to stick your boots and also creates some airflow to reduce condensation etc. I have used mine a few times and it can happily fit two people with their kit sitting in both side porches. Outer fly goes up first as normal so you can get it set up with the inner attached then just slip out the poles for fast pitching next time. Currently on discount again on amazon at £72 with free p&p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/sports/dp/B00H5IPKYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436273802&sr=8-1&keywords=vango+sabre

They do a 3 person version to at £86 but I think it would really only work with smaller folks at that stage.

stinkyfinn

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015 »

Theirs gelert 2man tents in sports direct newry for 17quid weighing in at 1.5kg, i was thinking of geting one but i use tarps mostly, if the tents are as good as the sleeping bags i would recommend it, good luck

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]