Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Stephen Nolan's Mournes adventure becomes one of the 'worst days of his life'  (Read 17245 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

Stephen Nolan's Mournes adventure becomes one of the 'worst days of his life' as he is reduced to tears and rescued by police

There are many excuses for turning up late for work - but BBC Northern Ireland's Stephen Nolan had quite a unique one on Sunday evening as he got lost in the Mourne Mountains and ended up getting rescued by the police.

The fiery presenter who has publicly battled with weight loss vowed on Sunday he was beginning a new health kick.

But his adventure up the Mourne Mountains on a rare sunny June afternoon soon turned into a nightmare as he got lost on the way back down - and just about made his 5 Live programme.

Speaking on The Nolan Show he described the escapade as "the worst day of his life".

"I went down to Newcastle and I decided to climb a mountain. And not once did it dawn on me that I shouldn't climb the mountain.

"I'm quite stubborn so once I started climbing I was determined to get to the top."

However Nolan hadn't brought any water or suncream and was wearing a pair of "flimsy training shoes".

He said: "I didn't think things through I started walking and walking and refused to stop. I was in excruciating pain."

He began walking at 1pm thinking he would have plenty of time as he had to be in the studio for 8pm but he didn't reach the top until 6.30pm.

He said: "I get to the top and I look down and I suddenly realised I'm not going to be able to get back down. I go to phone 5 Live to say its 6.30pm I won't make it tonight my phone is out of power.I was then in trouble I then had to start to sprint down the mountain."

Read the rest here:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/stephen-nolans-mournes-adventure-becomes-one-of-the-worst-days-of-his-life-as-he-is-reduced-to-tears-and-rescued-by-police-31303071.html

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

If only someone could invent some kind of idiot detector and have it setup around places in the outdoors, then the landscape could be spared the indignity of suffering fools like this clown. The only saving grace I guess is that he was unable to make a phone call when on the mountain side so at least the rescue team did not have their time and resources wasted.

Darran

• Top Poster

There is no mountain so tall that he cannot talk over...

...I mean walk over.

DrMonkFish

• Newbie Poster

One of those occasions you wish Gerry Anderson was still with us. Imagine the slagging he would have got from Gerry.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]