Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recommended Mournes Trails  (Read 42922 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Recommended Mournes Trails
« on: June 01, 2009 »

I'd like to get some more time in the Mournes but I like to stick more to recognised trails as opposed to off piste. Has anyone any good recommendations for easy or moderate walks?

666_pack

• Hero Poster
Re: Recommended Mournes Trails
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009 »

Slieve Beg And The Devils Coachroad.

To get a true sense of the diversity on offer in the Mournes here is a great days walk.Starting at Carrick little car park follow the trail at the far right hand side of car park until you reach the style. In front off you you’ll see a photo of the view ahead, Slieve Binnian to your left and Annalong wood to your right. Follow the right hand trail which runs parallel with the wood until you get to the end; now follow the trail to the right this will offer a spectacular view of the Annalong valley, Slieve Donard, Commedagh and the Brandy pad. But its Slieve Beg that were after for it is here that you’ll find the Devils coach road.

One of the best and most impressive of the Mourne crags, Slieve Beg lies in a commanding position at the head of the Annalong Valley. The most obvious feature is the huge central gully - the Devil's Coach Road. To the left is the Main Face, south-east facing and characterised by a series of corners, and to the left again are two large south-facing areas separated by a steep grassy section, with the far left edge being Satan's Buttress. To the right of the Devil's Coach Road are more broken crags.

On a good day the trail to the Slieve Beg will take approx 1 hour maybe longer depending on fitness as you walk you’ll pass Lamagn, and the lower slopes of Cove but soon that Crag looms on the horizon. Once you stand toe to toe with a few hundred meters of near vertical scree it seems like an impossible task but with a little patience and a few hairy moments you think it’s all over but when the scree clears there is a great little scramble to the finish.

To make your way down follow the trail to the summit of Cove and from here you have the option to either follow head back down of Cove to the trail and back to Annalong or head on to the summit of Lamagan

If you do want to take on the Devils Coach Road a few word of caution.
Firstly, don’t try this alone as MG1 can confirm he had to pull me out off a few holes and secondly this scramble can be treacherous when wet so take due care.

Hope you enjoy. ;D

Happy Trails

(Not My Photos)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009 by 666_pack »
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009 »

Slieve Donard

Here is a brief outline of the traditional route up Northern Irelands highest peak

Starting at Donard park Follow the trail up parallel with the Glen River as it cascades down through the wood, don’t spend too much time watching where you walk or you’ll miss a really magical place as you make your way up you will cross a few bridges the last of which will open up a view of the journey ahead.

Cross the style and on you right will be the Ice house(seen in the bottom right) and ahead the Glen river valley. From here it a straight forward yomp until the trail cross the river. This next section will test your thigh muscles as you head up the “stairs” to meet the Mourne Wall and the saddle between Donard and Commedagh a good spot the recharge, rehydrate and review your hobby choices(why do I do this to myself). Once mental prepared it a case of one foot in front of the other along the Mourne Wall to the summit and yes it is as steep as it looks.

On a clear day you can see the Isle of Mann they say on a bad day you could be on the moon but it’s always worth the effort.

Please take all the usual precautions for any day on the hill.

Happy trails

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009 »

This is excellent - I'll sticky it.

Just one thing - on the way up from Carrick Little Car Park is Binnian not on the left and Annalong Wood on the right or have I become confused (again. it happens alot :D)

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009 »

well spotted I'll change it.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009 »

I'll get a few more up today, possible Bernagh and a full brandy pad thru hike.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009 »

The Devils Coach road is well worth it. Its one one the best trips in the Mournes but don't try it alone or in wet weather it will become very dangerous. Any one interested in free climbing its also good there a few gullies that are doable. Donard is also good the walk to the ice house is great but the trail from there to the saddle is soul destroying especially on the way back down. Donard has to be done cause its the highest but other than that its pretty boring.

MG1
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009 »

What about Binnian itself.

Great climb fantastic views especially the reservoir below ant the Tors remind me of Easter Island and the faces carved in rock, don't ask me why, it just does.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009 »

Binnian is great but i've only done it bad weather so haven't seen the views.Also have only done it from Carricklittle would love to try coming up the other side. You could spend a lot of time exploring and climbing those tors ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009 »

been up there twice with MG1 both times weather was against us so I can't comment on the view(all I've ever seen form binnian is clouds >:()

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009 »

Slieve Donard and Commedagh seem like a good choice this weekend since you'll be well up the route anyway for the forum meet.

Can even walk round and climb Bernagh if you want as well ;D

Hound

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010 »

I'll get a few more up today, possible Bernagh and a full brandy pad thru hike.

Would you have a route of the Brandy Pad?  Wouldn't mind seeing it.

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011 »

Check out my every trail account. Got a few routes recorded on it. Look for craziasylum.
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011 »

Of all the treks i've done in the Mourne's one stand out more than any other,Carricklittle -Donard carkpark.From Carricklittle you follow the wall to Binnians summit then down pass Buzzard's roost to the col,then up Lamagan,Cove,Beg,up through the castles onto Commedagh down Shan slieve & into donard wood,then down to the carpark.Ps that caving sounds nice,you on fb?

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011 »

The best one i can think of is Starting at Trassey Car Park, walk up the Trassey track to The Hare's Gap and up onto Bearnagh. Then come back down the same way.

You could, if you are up to it, go on to Slieve Mealmore and Mealbeg, then down the shoulder of the last Meelbeg. You will come to the Ulster Way and walk back to Trassey Car Park.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]