Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forum suggestions and ideas - 2012  (Read 13735 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
Forum suggestions and ideas - 2012
« on: January 04, 2012 »

We'd like to hear any suggestions that people might have for improvements we can make to the forum. Please post any ideas you have below.

Thanks all!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Forum suggestions and ideas - 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012 »

more smilies please

think outside, no box required

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012 »

What about a YouTube video,showing some activities our members do

Grace.

• Top Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012 »

might be silly but might as well add it - Somewhere were you could list the outdoor achievements from people in  the group.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012 »

That's a really good idea Grace,also maybe a map of place's and peaks climbed,camp-site's and routes taken

Al Fresco

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012 »

A Rant room would be good to let off some steam lol,
an integrated gallery section would be excellent for users to upload pictures,
A Ni-Wild youtube channel for users to submit videos to etc as Mourneman said

Making the forum compatible with a forum app reader or widget would help increase membership, traffic and revenue, such as...
http://www.tapatalk.com/

I found this which I think is quite interesting, if you look at the monthly users against page views it seems people only read 1 page each, perhaps its not easy enough for most people to browse subjects of interest, just my tuppence dont know for sure though.
http://urlspy.co.uk/www.ni-wild.co.uk

AdamMcC5

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012 »

A kit room, so we could post up what our kit is made up of when we go a night on the hills
If in doubt, get the coffee out

jonnycrutchley

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012 »

That's a really good idea Grace,also maybe a map of place's and peaks climbed,camp-site's and routes taken

I think that is a great idea.  Routes people have taken, places to avoid and interesting sites along the way.

rin44

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012 »

Well, how about a section devoted to Food :D, people  could post favorite recipes they use when up in the hills.cook ahead and cooked on the hill. Hints and tips on storage .what peeps have in their camp kitchen  ect. I have at least a few tasty recipes. heres a tip. I dont carry a heavy wine bottle into the hills. decant it into a 1 litre platypus !!dead simlpe and light.  :)

Bic

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012 »

...a section on Mountain Safety, including various links to MLTUK and various Mountaineering Boards, including things like International Distress signal using a whistle and replying if hearing such....Naismiths Rule...ICE numbers...Route Cards.....small things like when walking downhill, it customary to allow people who are walking upwards to..to give them right of way.......links to sites detailing weather in various locations...etc...etc..list is endless...all captured in one area to entice and educate people......Every days a learning day.... 
"We don't stop hiking because we grow old,

we grow old because we stop hiking."

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012 »

I spoke to whorya about this idea recently.
I was thinking there are quite a few of us who would spend a considerable amount of time in the mourne mountains either on day hikes or the odd overnight.
Quite a few of the higher or remote hills put people off camping on them as it would take condsiderable effort to haul up their rucksack, tent , food, so id thought on the next day hike im up commedagh, bernagh ,etc, id take up a fire log that been weather proofed in plastic and hide it in a marked location somewhere in the wall, then give its location to the members.
A small thing like that certainly makes the nite more comfortable and more people may feel they can go that extra bit further as their have less weight to carry.
Maybe there could be a few of these in different locations?
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012 »

id take up a fire log that been weather proofed in plastic and hide it in a marked location somewhere in the wall,
good idea, especially if you have a gps to mark it accurately, but imagine how gutted you would be if someone had taken it or you couldn't find it  :'( would be like forgetting your buckfast  :o  also best not put stuff in the wall, people could hunt too much and move stones, geocaches are always placed a few meters away from the well used tracks to avoid accidental finds

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012 »

id take up a fire log that been weather proofed in plastic and hide it in a marked location somewhere in the wall,
good idea, especially if you have a gps to mark it accurately, but imagine how gutted you would be if someone had taken it or you couldn't find it  :'( would be like forgetting your buckfast  :o  also best not put stuff in the wall, people could hunt too much and move stones, geocaches are always placed a few meters away from the well used tracks to avoid accidental finds
Hi Liam, yeah im open to suggestions, the geocache would be a good idea, if one of us was heading to the hills we could ask were there any goodies stached near by.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012 »

all that stuff is readily available on the internet, so we just need to do a trawl and post our favourite links, bit like the weather forecast thread http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=426.0 , in fact i bet someone's already compiled such a list, i think i'll do a bit of surfin tonight  :)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]