Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Woodsmoke course  (Read 9224 times)

NeilB

• Top Poster
Woodsmoke course
« on: August 11, 2009 »

Hi guys

Quick thread to mention that me and another forum member are going on the woodlander course with the woodsmoke bushcraft.  It's run in the heart of the lake district. It has got some great reviews and it's a weeks wild camping in lake district learning some great skills.
If anyone else wants to go or wants to know more drop me a pm or leave message on thread.

Neil 

NeilB

• Top Poster
Re: Woodsmoke course
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009 »

Forgot to mention it's may 2010 for date so nothing soon, plenty of time

Paul

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009 »

hi neil, not sure if you have been on any woodsmoke courses before, i have been and did the aaNative this year and the Abo next year and if the funds stand up i would like to do a solo abo this year also. You will love it mate the guys are great instructors. Its just a pity there are no schools of this standard in ireland!

Paul

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009 »

Hi neil. I've not done a course with Woodsmoke, but I have with Woodlore. Ben McNutt used to be the lead Instructor with Ray Mears at Woodlore. he's a very knowledgeable man. Willow Lohr (also ex Woodlore) is also a top Instructor. You'll have a great time I'm sure. I'm hoping to go to the Woodsmoke Axe workshop next year myself.

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009 »

How mush are these courses ??
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009 »

it depends on what course you do and at what school, though expect to pay between £500 and £700 for a weeks course. Weekend courses are usually about £300. They really are great courses though and well worth it. There's nothing over here that compares.

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009 »

The course me and neil are going on is £545 for the week but it looks well worth the money. i wanted to incorporate kayaking/canoeing into it but apparently you need to do the bushcrafting course first. This type of course would be perfect for you to gain the knowledge and skills needed for your coast trip round ireland wolf! heres a link to the course we are going on... http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/p/v/Courses/Bushcraft+(and)+Survival+Courses/Woodlander+Bushcraft+Course/

Regards,

David
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009 by kendogbaggio »
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009 »

Cheers, i do need trained as i tryed to start my 1st firesteel fire, at the cause way with my firesteel out of my survival kit, i snaped the firesteel cut my finger with the small knife and had no fire >:( but i did try very hard even when the firesteel snaped i did not give up but after half an hour i needed to move of the path as the wind started to pick up and its not a good path to be on when its like that.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009 »

Thats 3 of us booked on the may course guys and they have a few places left if any of u guys are up for it??

Mouldsy

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009 »

I done the native with them along with Paul in JUly, you will really enjoy your time with them and you will learn a lot, I can not speak highly enough of them and how professional everyone of the instructors are, Unfortunately one of their head(Matt) instructors has left to do a Uni course but they filled it with Willow who is very knowledgeable in her craft as are all the instructors.
I am hoping to get on the axe workshop as well next year.
You guys will not be disappointed with the course.
Davy.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009 »

to mouldsy and paul

what sort of kit do i need to bring for these courses, I know they sent out a list but is there anytihng that you guys took or having been on the course think 'now it would have been a good idea to bring that'

same to you Celt Ginger

when you were on the woodlore course is there anything you would recommend bringing with you?

thanks Neil

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009 »

the kit lists are fairly comprehensive. Most of us have tended to bring more than was on the list and ended up with far too much kit. the one thing though that I'd wished I'd taken to woodlore is a camp chair. You will probably be sitting on a tree stump/block doing crafts for a fair old time and your backside gets really numb.

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009 »

Im off to the attic to see where my tiny but comfy chair is hiding  ;D
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

Mouldsy

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009 »

The only extra kit I would bring is a few more rations, you are very well fed but if you are a greedy person like me you will be happy you brought a few snacks with you.
With the native we were given a good breakfast and a good lunch and the dinner you had to prepare yourself, though all the ingredients were there for you. I know with the woodlander you are given your dinner as well.
A camp-chair would be a good idea if you are travelling by boat and you have room for it in your car, but if you are flying pack a good quality blow up cushion as the logs tend to get a bit hard as the weak goes on.
As long as you have a good set of waterproofs with you as well you will be fine.
I would love to be going back and I can't speak highly enough of these guy's they are very professional and really down to earth.
Don't be afraid to tell them that you don't know how to do something and if you want to know something as they will go out of their way to make sure you know it before you go home, but one thing I will say if you don't join in and try to do something they wont pester you and if you want to be left alone they will leave you alone but they will always ask if you have any problems or if you are alright, so don't be afraid to approach them if you have a problem.
Davy 

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]