Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Waterproof Jacket  (Read 5757 times)

Doonabel

• Newbie Poster
Waterproof Jacket
« on: March 04, 2018 »

Hi,

I am looking for a waterproof, windproof and breathable jacket for women.  Something that is lightweight but also durable.  I have been advised to go with North Face, even though i know these can be expensive, i was wondering are they really worth the  money?  Are there any other brands out there that would be just as good but not as expensive, and what brands should i avoid? 

i would appreciate some advice,thanks. 

torp

Re: Waterproof Jacket
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018 »

Noticed Go Outdoors have an offer on at the mo for the hi gear jackets for 35 quid(half price?) waterproof jkt with removable fleece. ;D

specimanYak

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018 »

I've been using the Columbia Sierra Falls jacket for a few years and it hasn't let me down yet. Keeps out the wind and rain and the pit-zips make it easy to keep cool when hiking some of the harder trails. They're reasonably priced as well, here's a link to the site:

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/womens-waterproof-jacket-softshell

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018 »

I've not looked at jackets much recently but North Face like others always had a big range of jackets with a price range from £80-£250.  So it can be difficult to compare purely on brand alone.  Might be better to look at a price range first, then see who falls with that.

I tend to change the sorting on web sites from the standard (best selling etc.) and go with price, either descending or ascending.  With descending for instance I might start at the top and work down through the items ruling out features that I don't think necessary until I get to a point where I feel there is a necessary trade-off between price and functionality.  Similarly working in ascending you can rule out things that don't tick the box until you get to that point of knowing you are getting into the stuff you really want.  Then you are off to the reviews and  pricing comparisons.

A relatively inexpensive jacket that always seemed to be well regarded was the Marmot Precip.  Thorough review here:
Marmot Precip review

I'm not a fan of combined fleece/hard shells, preferring to under-layer with a separate fleece.  I would warm up easily when active and I find that anything that helps quickly remove or add layers is a help.

A useful feature is deep chest pockets rather than lower hand warming pockets.  I find them more useful since their use is not restricted by your rucksack waist belt.  Though being a bloke I've no idea where they put the pockets on a ladies jacket!

Happy hunting.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Doonabel

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018 »

Thanks everyone, certainly something to think about. Better start making a comparison list. Appreciate the advice 😉

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]