Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Poll

When suits you best for the Moyle Way

17th and 18th March 2012
- 2 (28.6%)
24th and 25th March 2012
- 5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 04, 2012

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Moyle Way - 24th & 25th March 2012  (Read 74131 times)

Craigy123

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
Re: Moyle Way sometime in March.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012 »

Any more thoughts on a date for this? Also does anyone fancy doing a short leg this sunday? Maybe 6 mile dander? Thinking of a point to point where one car is left at the end and the driver is brought back to the start....
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints!

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012 »

Seems by the poll the majority dates suited is the 24th and 25th.

Guessing it just needs to be finalised.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012 »

Are we able to confirm this date then and update the list at the top with who's in?

I'm confirmed.  Rumblebum is in too, he's on holidays so not on the forum this week.

Craigy, I couldn't make anything this Sunday.  Can I respectfully suggest that if you get the chance to get out, it would be an idea to walk a section that covers the halfway point to try to identify a suitable camp spot?

I'll look at the maps at lunchtime to see if anywhere looks to lend itself to a camp.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012 »

That's kinda what I was thinking. And like agreed we go with the majority vote. I'm just happy to get out and do the hike.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012 »

that sounds great, what date is agreed?
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012 »

that sounds great, what date is agreed?

24th and 25th March
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012 »

Ok lets get talking.

Which route?

Ballycastle to Glenariff   or   Glenariff to Ballycastle?

Most people who have commented on Walk NI seem to have walked it from Glenariff to Ballycastle.  Not sure why.  Perhaps it is to get the road section from Waterfoot out of the way first?

One possible advantage of starting in Glenariff is that the journey home would be quicker since the cars at the start of the walk could be collected en-route home.  I’m guessing most people live south of the walk anyway.   The other way round we would need to go back up to Ballycastle before double-backing on the way home.
That said you’d need an earlier start on the Saturday to get cars up in Ballycastle for the end of the walk.
I’m not strongly opinionated on it either way.

Possible camping spots?

The summit of Slieveanorra is approximately 24km from Ballycastle and 18.5km from Glenariff.  There is a car park on the Altarichard Road (see section 4 of the walk), if we were camped within a few km of here then other members could easily join us for the evening or do day one or day two of the walk.

Now the summit itself is probably nothing pretty since it has a mast on top of it, the view may be ok though.  Between the open ground and the forest we should be able to find something suitable.  It also looks to be away from farm land.

There is some good information regarding areas to stay out of (farmers wishes, bulls, lambs, grouse shooting etc.) on the DOE website so I’ve noted some of this down.

I suppose it could depend on the direction of travel since it is probably preferable to do slightly more of the walk on the first day, leaving less to be done when the legs are tired and the day is shorter.  Would this favour a Ballycastle start?

I’ll try to get up round that area before the trip and find somewhere suitable.  Hopefully Craigy will be able to also. 

Maybe we should take the discussion of exact spots into the members section?

Any other thoughts so far?

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012 »

Beside the mast has some flat land but its always windy and cold. There are a few nature reserves close by the route in section 4, would it be ok the set up camp in one corner? maybe.... I'm gonna drive by a few places for a look. Dying with the cold so a walk may not happen but I can take a look.
As for direction...Ballycastle will have a bar to have a "well done" drink in. Plus more parking options.
This may be a boggy walk so I'll be getting some gaiters (miss placed some nice ones).

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012 »

Was up round a few sections of the Moyle way close to roads, not many decent camp sites close by(none). There Might be some decent ones towards the summit of Orra herself but I'll check them out next week. Can we get the date put on this and a potential attended list pretty please????

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012 »

Maybe we should take the discussion of exact spots into the members section?

This thread has been moved to members only. Will be moved back to Meets after the event.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012 »

Was up round a few sections of the Moyle way close to roads, not many decent camp sites close by(none). There Might be some decent ones towards the summit of Orra herself but I'll check them out next week. Can we get the date put on this and a potential attended list pretty please????

Pretty sure the date for this has been decided above by vote and discussions.  the weekend of the 17/18th doesn't suit a lot of people because it's St Patricks Day and Mothers Day.

The date that has been selected is therefore the 24/25th.  Unfortunately this is a date that I cannot make  :(
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012 »

At the edge of section 5 on the walk you cross the Glendun River.  If you google images of the Glendun River the land at the sides of it looks suitable for camping on.  Here are a couple of images:

The last 2 images are taken from the website and Flickr account of a member on this site, Dominoyesmaybe.  His blog can be found here.  If he is unhappy at me showing the photos and wants to PM me I'll remove them.

The area looks potentially good for camping.  In the third picture you can see an area of woodland that would give good screening from the road.  It is fairly obvious on the map also.

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2012 »

Best site so far, but those pics clearly are not really...it looks too sunny  ;) I like the idea of this site. I'll check it out. Can we walk from Ballycastle then to give up a shorter day 2? Also potential of a wood/refreshment stash before the walk. i'll look for somewhere.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2012 »

Ballycastle start is ok for me.  I think there are a couple of pubs in Waterfoot anyway for a post-walk refreshment.

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012 »

Potential site found. The Glendun river doesnt really work. all areas are seriously wet and boggy within 1km of the moyle way. I have found a great wee spor which is maybe a little uneven on the other side of slieveanorra. Its 5 minutes walk from the road and only a few hundred meters off your route. its well hidden. pretty sure its 151,243 (red X marks the spot) on osni sheet 9 discoverer series. (I dont have a gps). let me know thoughts, though for roughly half way i think this is pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012 by Craigy123 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]