Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Annalong Wood or Sprinkwee River camp?  (Read 13476 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Annalong Wood or Sprinkwee River camp?
« on: February 25, 2013 »

As the forcast is looking good all week the son and i are planning another wee overnighter,  either a ruturn to Annalong Wood where we had our first wild camp a few weeks ago which we both really enjoyed (son has me tourtured "when are we going out again") or maybe up to the Sprinkwee River camp spot to give it a go. Any tips or info on the Sprinkwee would be good. if anyone would like to maybe stop by or indeed join us you would be more than welcome...

Glenn,

Oh aye this would be handy,  thinking about heading up this Sat night March 2nd and back out on Sunday at some stage ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013 by Glenn B »
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Annalong Wood or Sprinkwee River camp?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013 »

The Cascade river is a lovely spot, well out of the way of people. It's a bit more open but its a cracking place.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013 »

Sprinkwee is a real good camping spot,we camped there last year- http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3662.msg39342#msg39342

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013 »

Hi Mourneman, read your  write up on your Sprinkwee camp a while ago and it does look like a great spot. Just want to ask though is that wee spot where you camped close to the forest ie close enough to gather fire wood or is it a bit further away?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013 by Glenn B »

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013 »

Its about a ten minute walk to tollymore forest line but there's loads of trees all around as well.i'll post up a route tomorrow

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013 »

That would be a great help hoping to leave the car at Meelmore lodge. Thanks!!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013 »

does tis help at all,do you know the route through Tollymore itself

sprinkwee campsite by paul surginor, on Flickr

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013 »

does tis help at all,do you know the route through Tollymore itself

sprinkwee campsite by paul surginor, on Flickr
Thats spot on Mourneman thanks for your help.
Cheers Glenn. karma mate.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013 »

The son was picked for a Tag rugby compititon on Friday so it now looks like we will be heading up on Saturday instead, so i have changed the original post to show this so if your up for a wee camp out give us a shout...

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013 »

Its about a ten minute walk to tollymore forest line but there's loads of trees all around as well.i'll post up a route tomorrow

Last spring I counted about forty small birch saplings on the slope across the river from the camp-site. Also several small rowan, willow and oak saplings.

There are mature oak trees there and some dead wood good for fires. So anyone camping please bear in mind the regenerating woodland, although I'm sure no-one on here would cut down saplings. There are very few places in the Mournes where self-seeded trees escape the sheep so I think it's a great wee spot.

Also there were Grey Wagtails nesting on the river bank there last year, bit early for them now but keep an eye out. Note these aren't the usual Pied ('Willie') Wagtails. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Wagtail
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013 »

Ok im sorry for keeping banging on, on my own thread but up untill half an hour ago we were still undecided as to which spot we were heading for so a quick view of Mournemans video on the Sprinkwee river by the 'BOSS' and it was a double thumbs up   Sprinkwee here we come..  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Really hope this wee spell of good weather holds out for the weekend as it would be nice to laze away a few hours on Sunday morning without a mad dash back to the car soaked to the skin a bit like Annalong a few weeks back. Roll on Saturday cant come quick enough as its already been one of 'THOSE WEEKS' in work and its only Wednesday >:(

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013 »

Last spring I counted about forty small birch saplings on the slope across the river from the camp-site. Also several small rowan, willow and oak saplings.

There are mature oak trees there and some dead wood good for fires. So anyone camping please bear in mind the regenerating woodland, although I'm sure no-one on here would cut down saplings. There are very few places in the Mournes where self-seeded trees escape the sheep so I think it's a great wee spot.

Also there were Grey Wagtails nesting on the river bank there last year, bit early for them now but keep an eye out. Note these aren't the usual Pied ('Willie') Wagtails. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Wagtail
Ah yes saplings they are handy cut  ;D ;D  only joking!! ;)

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013 »

Ah yes saplings they are handy cut  ;D ;D  only joking!! ;)

:) Serious, it's a nice spot, you'll like it. I learned about it on here too, so thanks to niwild for introducing me to it. I always like a fire when camping which is why I usually go to Annalong Forest but we found enough dead branches and old gorse at Spinkwee for two good fires last year. Just a heads up that it's a delicate wee spot and there's not many places left in the Mournes where the vegetation is regenerating like that.

... P.S. Don't tell any conservation or agricultural organisations or they'll probably send a "scrub clearance" team in. They don't like natural vegetation for some reason.
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013 »

No worries mate it will be left as we find it and we always try to bring back more rubbish-litter than we create. It does look an outstanding wee spot and your right these wee areas should be looked after as they are few and far between in the mountains.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013 »

That was a great camp on saturday Glenn, your map and navigation skills got us there safely and it was a great hike through Tollymore Forest, we couldn't of asked for better weather. The Sprinkwee River site was calm as it's protected on three sides and there wasn't an iota of wind about and there was more than an abundance of dead wood around for the fire. I'm really impressed with the little Gelert Solo, lightweight and its small size meant i could pitch it anywhere, it's going to be my main tent from now on. :)
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]