Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: 2 Day's walking in the Mournes with wild camping for 1 night. Any suggestions.  (Read 16948 times)

Padraigl

• Newbie Poster

Hi

Myself and the other half are experienced walkers and outdoor enthusiasts. Our stomping ground is the Wicklow mountains. We plan to climb Slieve Donard in a couple of weeks and we were thinking of spending 2 days and 1 night wild camping in the Mourne mountains.
We have never been in the Mournes before.

We need to know the car is safe. Would parking overnight insomewhere like Meelmore Lodge suffice or would it be safe in a village that suits the walk.
The walk needs to include Slieve Donard as it is the heighest peak.
The camp neeed to be relatively flat and dry. Water, we can bring but if there is fast flowing streams that would be a bonus.
The 2nd day will include another peak(s) before we head back to the car.
We have no problems doing 6-7 hours  (12 - 15 miles) walking each day if need be.

Any suggestion would be greatly appriciated.
Thx

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK

Welcome to the forum. The mourne wall would be a good one for ya. It is rough but fills your requirements. Have fun.
No one goes inside to clear their head

MG1

• Hero Poster

Like Lenny says the Mourne wall sounds like it ticks most of those boxes.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

Could follow one the mourne mountain marathon routes, or do the seven sevens

Safest parking places would be Meelmore Lodge or in Newcastle, park somewhere that has a CCTV camera pointing at it  ;)

For camping with an adjacent stream i'd recommend the junction of the rowan tree and rocky rivers, although this spot can be busy at times (probably cos i kept recommending it  ::) )
think outside, no box required

Hendy

• Newbie Poster

I'm taking the girlfriend for her first "wild" camping experience this weekend and I'm planning to park in Meelmore Lodge this go for a walk possibly camp at the lodge or elsewhere depending on how adventurous she feels so I would say something similar for yourselves would be a walk in the park.
plan on maybe/hopefully doing some seven sevens hopefully

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

At 12-15 miles a day (including ascent I'm guessing) then in 2 days you could have visited most of the peaks in the Mournes - the whole range is only 15 x 8 miles :)
The Mourne Wall is 22 miles over 15 peaks and can be accessed from (reasonably) secure parking at Meelmore or Donard Car Park. The guys here did it last year.

whoRya

• Hero Poster

Donard>Beg>Cove Mountain>Lamagan>Doan>Loughshannagh>Meelmore>Meelbeg>Bearnagh>Slievenaglogh>Corragh>Commedagh>Donard

That makes up the inner-circuit of the high Mournes.  The Kilkeel River feeding into the Ben Crom Reservoir makes shorter hill-top circuits difficult.  There is ample opportunity however to contour some of these hills.  Doan can be easily by-passed, similarly the sections between Doan to Bearnagh, and Bearnagh to Donard can follow good paths along the side.

Bearnagh should be climbed imo since it is one of the finest in the Mournes.  I think the section between Corragh and Commedagh is great too (on the north side of the wall).

Feel free to throw a proposed route up and I'm sure folk will be happy to assist with potential camping spots along the way.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Padraigl

• Newbie Poster

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, busy in work.

RedLeader
How long did it take the guys to do this Mourne Wall route??

LandyLiam
Where is "rowan tree and rocky rivers" exactly. I have Sheet 29 and can't seem to locate it.

whoRya, that route looks intresting.
I was thinking, looking at the map of;
Parking in Meelmore Lodge and hitting Meelmore, Meelbeg, Doan, Lamagan, Cove, Beg, Donard, Commedagh, Corragh, Naglogh, Bearnagh, Meelmore and back to car.
Camp after Slieve Beg maybe??? Would this spot be ok??
Would it be about 25/30 Km?? do you think?

Thx

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

They did it over 2 days. First day from Meelmore Lodge to Binnian, then the rest the following day.
There's info here:
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=918.msg8545#msg8545

RedLeader
How long did it take the guys to do this Mourne Wall route??

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

Where is "rowan tree and rocky rivers" exactly. I have Sheet 29 and can't seem to locate it.

between Tournamrock and Pigeon Rock mountain, although i haven't got a map in front of me to confirm, best get yourself a 1:25000 map, much better than that Sheet 29  ;)

whoRya

• Hero Poster

I've camped at the saddle (col between Donard and Commedagh) before and collected water from the rivers shown on the Commedagh side of the descent from the col in a northerly direction.  That would suit for coming off Beg and heading to Donard.

There hasn't been a whole lot of rain recently but if you drop further down the streams/rivers should still start to pick up a bit of pace.  In any case a maxium of 20 minutes round trip should get you some water.  Better than carrying a whole lot of it for 6 hours!

The climb up from Ben Crom Reservoir to the top of Lamagan is tough, but you'll go over the next few with a lot less effort.

You could even nip up Donard in the evening without all your gear if it's quiet enough and watch the sun set, leaving you to only head in the one direction the next day.   
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Padraigl

• Newbie Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Hope to do it next week so will let you know how we got on..

Padraigl

• Newbie Poster

By the way is the water safe to drink from the streams or will I need to add tablets and/or boil. Have drank water from fast flowing streams before, high on the hills..

Thx

666_pack

• Hero Poster

I have never had any issues with the water in the Mournes.....but like everything it's al down to what you feel ay the time.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

The higher up the stream you take the water from then the less likely it is that there is a dead sheep lying in the water, also if the stream is at a busy spot its more likely that any dead sheep will have been removed. My general rule is that if I'm only out for the day I'll take a chance, but if I'm camping I'll boil or it pop the pills in it, or just drink beer  ::)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]