Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MMM 13 training walk  (Read 16139 times)

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
MMM 13 training walk
« on: August 11, 2013 »

So I got my weekend diary cleared from now til the event.  Been training a fair bit but what's lacking are long walks 6hr plus.  Planned to bivvi and weather had given showers later in afternoon.  Also the air show was on so wanted to catch some of that from the saddle or commedagh.

Breakfast and lunch prepared

Had planned to park in ott, changed my mind and went for trassey car park instead.

Here a young man who is landylaim recognised cash and we had a yarn and now know to bring plastic bags to use as slippers on the MMM. 

Up doan for lunch, had a great view of the line of 7/7walkers either going up or down Ben crom river.

Back down to trassey track and then up bernagh, had a small slip, note to oneself, check depth of mud.

Coffee on bernagh and I could hear planes now so thought I'd scoot up commedagh to see if I can catch some.

Hares gap was busy and cash tries to eat  a mans lunch, quickly on up via the wall to commedagh where I was nearly out of water so the water pipe was a winner

Had a good chat with the 7/7 marshals on commedagh and then the red arrows come in followed by my fave with a fly through the saddle the Vulcan.  It is a cracking one and I'm told the only flying one left though I'm not sure.

Then I thought id set up for bivvi and all was going well til two guys thought I was the heck in for the 7/7s and it sorta got my mind racing, it was misty and Heres me thinking anyone could sneek up here and kill me, rustys post came to mind and I had a don't k ow why but wasn't feeling it so packed up and walked back to car.   That's never happened me and I wasn't too impressed by my fear, this will have to get changed!  Anyway ate my gurkah curry and walked back. 

Then came the drive home and still at 9.30 at night ballynahinch is tailed back.

Great walk and saw the planes but fear is now the enemy and shall. Have to get sorted.

Some other pics

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: MMM 13 training walk
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013 »

Great photos Claire!strange how fear plays with your mind,karma to you as I've yet to solo camp

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013 »

Young Man! cough cough  8)    Love the vulcan pic up at the saddle.  As for solo camping, I don't think i've ever met anyone else when i've been camping alone, I suppose if you meet anyone just casually mention your boyfriend is arriving later after his martial arts class finishes  ;)
think outside, no box required

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013 »

Great pictures thanks Clare.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
MMM 13 training walk
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013 »

Fab pics Claire.. Need to get my ass back up into the hills again. My last trip up was Doan last month, but could do with a summit camp soon.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013 »

Yes we need another girlie camp soon  ;D (honest, i didn't know i would be the only bloke at the last one  ::) )
think outside, no box required

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
MMM 13 training walk
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013 »

You loved it!!

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013 »

it really is mourneman, i am utterly disgusted and fear is to be beat.

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
MMM 13 training walk
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013 »

Out yesterday for a walk and camp with rich h who is my partner for the event.  I had my weight at 12kg with extras such as hip flask, my purse, cashs food and we had both brought separate stoves, etc so I'm confident it will be at 10kg or under on our next planned trip the week before the event. 

This was Rich's first time in the mournes as he's normally in the sperrins. 

Parked in carrick little secure, my legs were a tad sore on way up path to wall from the gym so binnian seemed like a good way to wake them up!  Pushed on up and then across to north tor, an down to the saddle of lamagan. 

Dropped down to Ben crom and followed path to the river crossing at far end.  Any time we stopped it was miggie central so there wasn't too many stops. 

Someone had set camp up at the top of Ben crom, would camp here as its lovely but in the winter. 

Upwards to hares gap filling my water up and a wee steri tab later, yaldi as they say! 

It was then decided that commedagh would be the camp as the water tap is there and we both were drinking lots of water.

Up via the wall and I quite like this climb, nice views and the wall is tall! 

Cash was on his running lead the whole time but he doesn't mind.  Lots of sheep about. 

The sun was starting to fall so once we got to the summit the wee cobra was up and dinner cooked.  Hot chocolate with a generous JD serving and sleeps.

Morning was misty but quick clear up and food, once we were down to the saddle of Donard it had cleared and another lovely day to walk back  to the car. 

Great walk and all I need now is a lighter pack. 

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013 »

+111 for the lighter pack. I think that first picture was my 351st breather stop. Although I am happy that over all of that this weekend I only have one very small flat blister.

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013 »

Good work Claire and Rich.
What did you think of proper mountains Rich?  ;D

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013 »

Good stuff guys, cheers for sharing the pics.  Were you down getting water from the pipe about 9:00-9:30, using your head torches?  I was up on the Brandy Pad around that time and could see head torches up around that area.

I was down talking to the folks camping at the Ben Crom Reservoir (shelter stone), you're right about winter time - it was Midge hell, we were all dancing about like a Michael Stipe tribute act!   
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013 »

Good work Claire and Rich.
What did you think of proper mountains Rich?  ;D

Loved them, some tough climbs but then I may have been an ounce or two overweight with my pack.

Fred

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013 »

Nice write up Claire. I had considered a summit bivvi ahead of the air show and now that I've seen your pictures of the Vulcan, I'm kicking myself for not going. Good luck with the MMM.
Fred
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
MMM 13 training walk
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013 »

Yes that was me an cash filling up an getting him a night time drink. Was actually looking to see if I could see any other head torches but didn't see any. Were u camping or just walking late?  Fred next year I'd go up for the show and watch it all. Fantastic being up high away from the crowds. 
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]