Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Nav spots?  (Read 4439 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Nav spots?
« on: August 04, 2013 »

Hoping to get in some serious hours of pure nav work this month, and wondering if anyone can suggest some spots.

My main desires are that I have somewhere as close as possible (I live in Derry), and that any spot doesn't require major hikes to get to. Finally I want something that will push me technically with navigation. I know plenty of spots to go for a good long walk but that isn't what i'm after here. Ideally I want something more akin to classic red/white post orienteering, but ideally outdoors on a topo map.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Nav spots?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013 »

Hi Rich.H not totally sure I understand what you mean about navigation,do you intend using a G.P.S for naving with or a map & compass.personally I only use a G.P.S for Geocaching.check out some local orienteering groups who can teach you some basic map & compass skills that will serve you far better than GPS,also learning how to read terrain & features on a map can really help with navigation.afer a while you'll be able to pace & time you treks.good luck

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013 »

It's compass only nav i'm using, gps for me is only for tracking the trip to review later. My nav skills are fine but some aspects are rusty such as aiming off. So I'm wanting a spot where I can brush up on a few aspects. All of these are perfectly possible on a weekend in the mountains here but that just isn't time efficient for what i'm trying to do.

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013 »

Well that said I would try to find some terrain firstly that had either a 125 or 155 OS covering it,secondly try to use an area with plenty of features,ie streams,knolls,boulder fields that's why loads of folk practice navigation on the Trassey trek with tons of features to work off,I've always found that navigation is something you have to keep working at & always easier if you have someone to practise with while you're out.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]