Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Donard Downhill Race - 20/7/13  (Read 12101 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Donard Downhill Race - 20/7/13
« on: July 15, 2013 »

Donard Downhill

This event is on 20 July 2013 3:00pm

What is it?
A timed run for brave runners from the top of Donard to Donard Park.

That sounds great how do I get some?
Registration will be between 1 and 2pm in Donard Park.  Race starts 3pm.  Runners will depart every 10 seconds.

http://www.nimra.org.uk/index.php/events/event/donard-downhill/

Sounds easy, ha, I jogged down it yesterday, it takes a lot of concentration to avoid tripping over and going for a big tumble (which is probably better than hitting the deck hard and stopping suddenly!). Especially difficult after you pass the ice house, those tree routes are deadly when your legs are tired. But I hope to give it a go next weekend and see what time I could get as I've never tried to get a fast time coming down (always erred on the side of caution!).

Last years winning time was 15m56s  :o
think outside, no box required

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
Re: Donard Downhill Race - 20/7/13
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013 »

Thats a little bit mad! I did a bit of it yesterday at a slow jog and it would be so easy to go head over tits!

Rusty Madra

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013 »

Has anyone else tried this? Wouldn't mind giving it a go for the craic but hate turning up to events where everyone else participating is a semi-pro athlete taking it wild seriously and by the time you finish they're packing up! :( ..... how about getting a few of us hobby hillwalkers and having an NI Wild league of our own? That would add a bit of fun to it
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013 »

Hi Rusty, i'm planning on heading down to the Mournes somewhere this weekend, and i wouldn't mind watching the event, probably not competing though, but if you're up for a camp let me know.

Has anyone else tried this? Wouldn't mind giving it a go for the craic but hate turning up to events where everyone else participating is a semi-pro athlete taking it wild seriously and by the time you finish they're packing up! :( ..... how about getting a few of us hobby hillwalkers and having an NI Wild league of our own? That would add a bit of fun to it

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013 »

Cool... Plans kinda changed so I'm not doing the Donard Race but doing the Sea to Sky 10k on Fri Night around Tollymore:

http://born2runevents.com/?p=484

Entries for it close at 11pm tonight. If u fancy watching it tho there's a BBQ and
Beer tent afterwards that sounds like fun!

Let me know if your about that direction.

If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013 »

That sounds grand, i'll PM you when i've got my plan of action sorted out.

Cool... Plans kinda changed so I'm not doing the Donard Race but doing the Sea to Sky 10k on Fri Night around Tollymore:

http://born2runevents.com/?p=484

Entries for it close at 11pm tonight. If u fancy watching it tho there's a BBQ and
Beer tent afterwards that sounds like fun!

Let me know if your about that direction.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013 »

I did it  :)  well that was tough, 1.5 hrs walk to the start of the race in this blazing heat, 10 min rest at the top (which was covered in cloud so lovely and cool) then off we went in 10 sec intervals. I went third knowing I would soon be overtaken but at least i would have a chance at following some of the faster runners to get the perfect route. But it was misty at the top and I soon lost the running path taking some of these good runners with me  :-[ but I wasn't to far off and one of the guys that followed me looks like he has broken the course record today! maybe I found a better route for him  ;D

Well by the time I had reached the black stairs my legs were starting the jelly wobbles so extreme caution taken at the crag edge. The only uphill bit came when coming out of the Glen River at the Ice House, I tried to walk it but my legs just wanted to run, so they did. Then came the forest descent, I wasn't looking forward to this and even made a slight nav error on a path I know so well. But I made it to the finish line in Donard Park in an unconfirmed 29+mins so i was well chuffed  :) (my target time was 40 mins with 30 as an absolute possible best).

The winner did it in an unconfirmed record time of 14m30secs  :o

After the race it was difficult to stop walking (although I am having trouble going down steps  :) ), and I spent the rest of the day dandering around Newcastle with the family. Had hoped to have a go on the swan boats but did you know that the last ticket is sold at 4.15pm and the place was heaving with tourists for a few hours after that! Grrrr, it annoys me how this country really doesn't understand how to attract tourists, it takes more than a glossy brochure  >:( but thats a rant for another day  :)

taking it easy on the way up and enjoying the view

a small but dedicated crowd of fell runners at the top of Donard

the route down

prizegiving at the roadside

my fellrunners tan  ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013 by LandyLiam »

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013 »

Great work Liam, loads of karma deserved for that effort!

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013 »

Fair play to you! Well done! ... I did the Sea to Summit 10K there Fri night; it was some craic... Will post the route up for u: it's a lovely route

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013 »

Top job Liam it unbelievable the way those runners come down the black stairs they don't injury themselves .

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013 »

Fair play to you! Well done! ... I did the Sea to Summit 10K there Fri night; it was some craic... Will post the route up for u: it's a lovely route
I did the sea2sky last year, great route (apart from the midges  :( ) I opted for the Donard race this year just to try a new challenge  :)  but my legs are hurting bad today, walking down steps is difficult, have to build up some motivation to go for a run later and loosen those muscles up.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013 »

Nice one Liam.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013 »

The official results are in, I didn't come last  :)  although it looks like the 2 I beat might have got lost  ::)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013 »

14:37 fec!

StevieC's been breaking records since 2010 (according to Slieve Donard's Domain - excellent book I picked up in Hill Trekker the other week), got to have skill and balls of steel to throw yourself down the Black Stairs any any pace. Respect.

Again, fair play to ya Liam. Sub-25minutes next year?

ps. what's the category stuff mean? V50, V40 etc?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013 »

Believe me I was ultra cautious on the black stairs, I was spectating at the last Donard race and saw 2 people near go over the edge but for a bit of heather they managed to grab onto.

This is the tricky bit, the guy in the background is at a large rock step, many jump down, but I crawled down :)
Then you have a steep grasy slope, everyone ends up with a mucky bottom here as they all slide on their ass at some point.

V50 is the age group (Veteran 50 yrs +)
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]