Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Couldn't run the length of myself  (Read 13939 times)

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Couldn't run the length of myself
« on: August 20, 2012 »

Well Guys..
Since I'm car-less I decided to get my gaits measured and I bought myself a pair of runners on Friday. My plan was to take it easy and go for a gentle run along the shore of Donaghadee to the lighthouse and back. I was quite surprised with my fitness and was able to run pretty much non stop from Old Warren road to the lighthouse without needing my inhaler.. So tonight I extended it to the commons and then back home..
My first goal is to train up for a 10k and then hopefully if all goes well the Belfast Marathon.
Any training advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Couldn't run the length of myself
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012 »

Just build up slowly. The cardio fitness may be there, but running is hard on the joints, especially on hard surfaces, so it'll take a few months for the body to get used to.

Mix it up with some trails if there are any near you. Some intervals, hills, or fartlek will also boost your fitness progress. Also, run for time, not distance. 20-40mins good to start...but once you get used to that, just go out slow with no real objective and surprise yourself. Maybe put some tape on your watch and see how you did when you eventually really want to stop!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012 »

Thanks, I've been running on the beach as I heard it was quite good.. Going to try Donard wood on Wednesday when I'm on my lunch break.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012 »

Nice, just watch for wet rocks and roots if you go off trail...and holes  ;D
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012 »

great work, would this 10k be too soon?
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3483.msg37472#msg37472

slowly working up to a marathon myself, still a long way to go yet
think outside, no box required

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012 »

Yeah it would.. Just booked in for 5k with Race for life in October and if things go to plan I might change it to 10k..

Evie

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012 »

I'd really recommend the Couch to 5k plan to anyone wanting to get started running, starting out with a walk/run plan it slowly builds up the running sections and reducing the walking sections till you are able to run for a full 30 min with no breaks.

There are podcasts you can download for free to listen to, which tell you when to run and when to walk.  Music on them is a bit naff, but bearable.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012 »

Great stuff. Could do with some fitness training myself. When we were on Binnian a few weeks back I thought I was going to die on the ascent ;)

Evie

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012 »

D'oh!  Forgot the link in my last post for the Couch to 5k plan...

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012 »

Cheers Evie..
I've registered for the Race for Life in October in Stormont, that should keep me motivated.

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012 »

As said above take it easy to start with.  I always found the beaches energy sapping but if you feel its ok then do what you feel comfortable with.  We had to cross whitepark bay on the outward and return leg of the causeway marathon around the half way point and it was tight going.

If your in the belfast area try the trails in and around belvoir.  Its a nice open forest in sections that you can pick your own lines through.  Sometimes when you are watching your step and picking lines your mind is working instead of thinking about running.

Today I was out on a 10k and anytime I was thinking about the run I was hurting but anytime I was thinking about other things my speed picked up.

Breathing is a big thing we do it naturally but getting it right on a run can make a huge difference.  Everyone has their own technique but I have three small intakes one after the other followed by one long out.  Works for me not for others.

Another tip that works for me is if you get a dreeded stich breathe out as you are landing your left foot down.  Sounds ma but works for me.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Are we there yet?

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012 »

Thanks, I've been running on the beach as I heard it was quite good.. Going to try Donard wood on Wednesday when I'm on my lunch break.

The next time you're in Castlewellan try Fox's green ... up and then down through the wood,  or the other way round.. Have to say, it's nicer running down the green than going up it  :-\

A few bike trails there as well!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012 by AnnieAnne »

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012 »

Just build up slowly. The cardio fitness may be there, but running is hard on the joints, especially on hard surfaces, so it'll take a few months for the body to get used to.

Couldn't agree more with this.  I started running this year having never run the length of myself before.  In figuring out my personal fitness level I found out that I could run around 5km, not in any record beating time, but I was fairly chuffed with myself.  Unfortunately, although I had the cardio fitness for this, my body rebelled to this new regime and I ended up ignoring a niggle in my calf muscle and the result was a torn calf muscle.

Saying that though, I'll see you jogging down the Commons soon, as after many months of injury this year I'm hopefully going to get back to jogging next week.  This time I'll be taking it slower though and building it up gently.

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012 »

Not sure if this is any help to you KG, but I find it easier to learn with images. And was it you who had trouble with injury? Maybe this will help. I remember seeing this image a while ago and thought I'd share incase anyone else could benefit from it.

It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012 »

Thanks Oisin, yeah my knee hasn't been giving me much gip since I've been taken Omega 3 and Glucosamine.

Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]