Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lightweight Breakfast  (Read 17669 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Lightweight Breakfast
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010 »

I'm no foody but I still think I'd kill myself if I was out and had porridge for dinner and the breakfast. It would just break me :D

I generally use golden syrup flavored porridge and just add water. It's great because it weighs nothing, and you measure the amount of water needed by pouring it into the sachet the oats were in. It tastes great and takes less than 5 minutes to make. Tempted to starting bringing something a bit fancier next time though to fry up in a pan.

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010 »

I'm no foody but I still think I'd kill myself if I was out and had porridge for dinner and the breakfast. It would just break me :D

Haha it was only a snack at night since I'd already eaten dinner and I was too lazy to bother looking for anything else to bring, plus I paid for that in the morning with my "solitary moment with nature". Usually for dinner I'd bring boil in the bag rice and sauce of some kind or pasta, and up to recently it was supernoodles but they're not exactly the most nutritious option.

In future I'm definitely taking a leaf out of your book and bringing a steak and possibly some peppercorn sauce :P

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010 »

It's spooky (and awesome) that the mini trangia pan is pretty much exactly the size of a rib eye steak - it's like fate :)
Tho it seemed like you had less trouble with keeping your hobo and hexamine stove lit than the rest of us had with gas and meths.

Haha it was only a snack at night since I'd already eaten dinner and I was too lazy to bother looking for anything else to bring, plus I paid for that in the morning with my "solitary moment with nature". Usually for dinner I'd bring boil in the bag rice and sauce of some kind or pasta, and up to recently it was supernoodles but they're not exactly the most nutritious option.

In future I'm definitely taking a leaf out of your book and bringing a steak and possibly some peppercorn sauce :P

Tim

• Top Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010 »

Ye I was well chuffed with my home-made hobo stove. Can be difficult enough to get lit with just a match in extreme winds but once its lit you don't have to worry about it, just keep an eye on it that the hexi blocks don't burn out and your all set. Only issue i have with it is I can't simmer anything on it, so a pot cosy may be well worth looking into.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010 »

Since I forgot the trangia windshield I had to refill it 3 times to cook one steak and a pot of smash. Even the next morning I couldn't bring a pint of water to a rolling boil on a single fill (meaning I had to drink coffee made with unboiled water and stirred with a spoon that Lucy had licked clean the night before :) Lucky I have a good stomach!

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010 »

You trying to say my dog is carrrying germs !!!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010 »

Well, I wouldn't snog her!

You trying to say my dog is carrrying germs !!!

Transplant

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010 »

@J: When solo normally porridge with water (I'm funny about milk unless it's icy old)...leave it to cool and thicken...and it's not too bad. Thinking about using condensed milk, I'm told it comes in tubes a well as (heavier) tins.

Also has breakfast slices (reformed pork stuff) on my last overnight...forgot the oil....just used water (so it was hot spam rather than fired bacon). Couple of brown sauce sachets tea leafed from Sainsburys restaurant, stick the whole lot in a bap. Very little clean up needed since it seems to have a low fat content.

Ready made pancake mix
I'm soo doing that next time (haven't had 'proper' pancakes in ages, let alone up the mountain)....

What other foodstuffs do you guys carry? I'm looking for options. :P
My stable for dinner is Microwave rice and microwave chilli/rice pouches, fits perfect in a crusader cup. Takes about 10 minutes in boiling water (rice first then meat) Using microwave rice rather than boil in the bag means you have water for tea/coffee ready to be used straight away.

If you bring some frozen berries to drop in your pancakes as they cook, that does the trick for me.

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010 »

[/quote]

If you bring some frozen berries to drop in your pancakes as they cook, that does the trick for me.
[/quote]

nice idea will be trying that and welcome to the site not a bad first post :)
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010 »

Hi Transplant, welcome to the forum!  And good idea about the berries!  Feel free to drop a wee post into the Introductions section so we can all say "Hi" :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010 »

for breakfast a bag of cereal such as cheerios does the trick for me, don't bother with the milk

for dinner i like to boil some spaghetti then throw in some grated cheese for a bit of flavour, if i'm feeling really adventurous i use a wee plastic tub of dolmio sauce but always afraid of it bursting the the rucksack  >:(
think outside, no box required

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010 »

for breakfast a bag of cereal such as cheerios does the trick for me, don't bother with the milk

for dinner i like to boil some spaghetti then throw in some grated cheese for a bit of flavour, if i'm feeling really adventurous i use a wee plastic tub of dolmio sauce but always afraid of it bursting the the rucksack  >:(

I like to Dolmio sauce to. I just put it in a clip and lock plastic tub. no bursting or peircing
No one goes inside to clear their head

ChuckMcB

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010 »

The plastic pouches work best for me, flexable packages fit better IMHO....but I wouldn't want to have it for Breakfast (back on topic)  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]